Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Disappointed with the Logitech G700
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Disappointed with the Logitech G700

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
After reading many gleaming reviews, I decided to try out the Logitech G700 when my Microsoft IntelliMouse finally starting acting up after years of use.

Pros (Click to show)
Pros
- Visually pleasing design (subjective)

- Responsive and virtually identical left/right mouse button click (e.g., both buttons feel and sound the same when depressed)

- The "hyper scroll" friction-less scrolling is pretty cool (but not for gaming)

- Additional buttons are placed intuitively and don't get in my way (I would probably never use them)

- Textured sides of mouse give it a good grip (some people dislike the texture, I like it)

- Installation was extremely easy -- plug in the wireless receiver, turn on the mouse, and it works. I didn't bother installing the proprietary software.

- Doesn't "pick" my mouse pad (I had a DeathAdder and the hole around the laser was sharp and would actually pick at the (very fine) cloth on my new steelseries mouse pad

- Has a good weight to it (doesn't feel like a feather, but not too heavy, either)

This was all after about half-an-hour of use. It took me that long to figure out that I didn't want to keep the mouse.

Cons (Click to show)
Cons
- Side buttons are extremely mushy and provide hardly any tactile feedback

- Build quality feels low -- very "plastic-y" (I realize that the mouse is made out of plastic, but my old IntelliMouse feels of a higher build quality)

- Awkward to pick up and move (if you prefer low sensitivity, you probably pick up and move your mouse a lot; I found this mouse very awkward to pick up)

- My biggest complaint -- the mouse wheel

Let me spend a second on the mouse wheel specifically. First of all, I dislike the fact that it can click side-to-side. But, I may not have minded that so much, if clicking the wheel to the left wasn't so much more difficult than clicking to the right. The left and right mouse mouse wheel clicks feel and sound so different that it drives me crazy.

Furthermore, when the wheel is in normal scroll mode (not friction-less), it makes somewhat of a grating sound if I quickly scroll then release my finger. If I keep my finger on the wheel while scrolling quickly, it sounds normal.

Final Score (Click to show)
Final Score
Looks: 8/10
Tactility: 7/10
Weight: 9/10
Perceived Build Quality: 5/10

Overall score (not average): 5/10

This mouse has was easy to set up, feels alright in the hand, and has a good weight to it. The left and right mouse buttons have a great tactile response when clicked. However, for me, the good ends there. The side buttons are mushy, the build quality feels low (I know this may seem contradictory, but it's hard to explain), and the mouse wheel's left and right click is absolutely terrible.

If my G700 had a more consistent left and right mouse wheel click (if both directions felt the same), I might consider keeping this mouse. But the difference is so substantial, I just can't bring myself to tolerate it, and I don't think I should have to for nearly $100.

Bottom Line (Click to show)
Bottom Line
Overall, I am thoroughly unimpressed and disappointed by the G700. To be honest, if the scroll wheel was designed better, I would actually consider keeping it, but I can't tolerate the horrid build quality and functionality (if you can call it that) of the scroll wheel. Maybe I just got a bad unit, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm not the only one who isn't in love with the mouse wheel on the G700, probably because the quality of materials is just not very high.

Then again, I have an insane eye for detail and I'm sure that I have several tendencies of someone who suffers from OCD, so little things tend to get under my skin and stay there. But, I can't help but feel that these problems are rather "large", and shouldn't be overlooked or taken lightly, especially by someone who calls themselves a "gamer", to whom this mouse is marketed.

I feel like, given time, I could grow more fond of the G700 and begin to look past some of its flaws (the self-perceived low build quality and the mushy side buttons), but I don't think I could ever get past the difference in the left and the right mouse wheel click. Personally, I wish that the mouse wheel didn't even have that ability. Also, the mouse wheel, in general, just feels kind of "loose".

So, that brings me to a question. Does anyone out there have a good (preferably wireless) mouse that they can recommend me? I want something with a HIGH build quality, simple yet functional design (I don't need 900 buttons (or even 9)), and a good form factor. Those are really my only requirements. I wanted to step up from my IntelliMouse, but I feel as if I've taken a step down with the G700 (which is absurd, considering it's probably more than 10x the price).

Please, give me some suggestions to check out. I'm open to anything, wired or wireless, and any brand, though I would prefer wireless. I guess the only important thing to keep in mind with wireless is the polling rate, though I don't know at what point one starts to actually perceive a delay in input. That's one of the reasons I went with the G700 (1ms delay).

Edited by lukeman3000 - 5/25/13 at 12:52am
post #2 of 14

I am also an owner of a G700 and this is for me the mouse to keep until it brakes off. I will never be in the market for any other mouse.

 

I wonder if you just have a bad unit, or you might have different expectations which are understandable.

 

Side buttons are very easy to click for me. They also provide good feedback. I hope you noticed that the top 2 side buttons are clickable towards UP. When I first picked up the mouse and used the upper side buttons I was extremely dissapointed and thought they were broken. But then I figured it out. I was pushing them wrong. The lower side buttons are normal buttons where you click regularly but the upper side buttons are clickable by dragging your finger from bottom to top.

 

I have no issues with the scrool wheel though I prefer silent ones better and this one is not silent. But not a biggie.

 

I never use the mouse wheel left and right clicks so I can not really comment on them. 

 

I think the overall build quality is pretty good and since this is a wireless unit, the mouse itself is a bit heavy. I wonder if that is the reason why you are having issues when you pick it up.

 

EVEEEEERY mouse is different really. It might be hard to get used to it but I would keep the mouse if I were you. That is of course if you are interested in wireless. If you were never really interested in the wireless function of G700, than there are better mice out there for you.

 

I should note that G700 is the best wireless mouse in the market imo.

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

I am also an owner of a G700 and this is for me the mouse to keep until it brakes off. I will never be in the market for any other mouse.

I wonder if you just have a bad unit, or you might have different expectations which are understandable.

Side buttons are very easy to click for me. They also provide good feedback. I hope you noticed that the top 2 side buttons are clickable towards UP. When I first picked up the mouse and used the upper side buttons I was extremely dissapointed and thought they were broken. But then I figured it out. I was pushing them wrong. The lower side buttons are normal buttons where you click regularly but the upper side buttons are clickable by dragging your finger from bottom to top.

I have no issues with the scrool wheel though I prefer silent ones better and this one is not silent. But not a biggie.

I never use the mouse wheel left and right clicks so I can not really comment on them. 

I think the overall build quality is pretty good and since this is a wireless unit, the mouse itself is a bit heavy. I wonder if that is the reason why you are having issues when you pick it up.

EVEEEEERY mouse is different really. It might be hard to get used to it but I would keep the mouse if I were you. That is of course if you are interested in wireless. If you were never really interested in the wireless function of G700, than there are better mice out there for you.

I should note that G700 is the best wireless mouse in the market imo.

Thanks for your thoughts. I didn't actually realize that those two were clickable "up", but they still feel mushy to me. None of those side buttons provide good feedback for me.

And yes, wireless is important. I really like the idea of having a wireless mouse, but if I could get a a wired mouse that was a little closer to my expectations, I wouldn't hesitate to go that route.

I'm considering doing an exchange through Amazon to see if I can get a better unit, or just returning it altogether to get my money back and trying a different mouse. I haven't made up my mind yet what I want to do -- I was convinced that I wouldn't be keeping this mouse when I wrote my review, but I'm starting to entertain the idea of exchanging it for an identical unit.

Though, I have a feeling that if I have this many problems with this mouse, the next one probably won't be much better. Who knows.
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman3000 View Post


Thanks for your thoughts. I didn't actually realize that those two were clickable "up", but they still feel mushy to me. None of those side buttons provide good feedback for me.

And yes, wireless is important. I really like the idea of having a wireless mouse, but if I could get a a wired mouse that was a little closer to my expectations, I wouldn't hesitate to go that route.

I'm considering doing an exchange through Amazon to see if I can get a better unit, or just returning it altogether to get my money back and trying a different mouse. I haven't made up my mind yet what I want to do -- I was convinced that I wouldn't be keeping this mouse when I wrote my review, but I'm starting to entertain the idea of exchanging it for an identical unit.

Though, I have a feeling that if I have this many problems with this mouse, the next one probably won't be much better. Who knows.

 

Well if you want first exchange it. Than if you still do not like it you can ask your money back. I believe that amazon should help you with that though I am not 100% sure.

 

At the end of the day not every hardware is good for everyone. I've seen many people loving a certain mouse but I was hating it or vice versa.

For example I hated the RAT 9 wireless mouse so bad that I almost cried paying for that. But some people love that mouse to death.

 

 

Good luck. thumb.gif

post #5 of 14
Of course you're disappointed with the G700, it's a terrible mouse. People who say they like it are simply trying to justify the fact that they are now $70 in the hole and stuck with a crappy mouse. I can't even think of a single positive thing to say about the mouse.

- Abysmal scroll wheel...honestly the worst scroll wheel I have ever used.
- Squishy and crappy side buttons.
- The switches used in M1/M2 feel lame and cheap. Must be some kind of knock off switches because they sure ain't Huanos or Omrons.
- Not the best design/shape of the mouse on the market, that's for sure.
- If you shake the mouse or move it around quickly you can feel how crappily it is made as the inside components have a bit of a rattle to them.
- Doesn't come with a charging dock meaning you have to plug the cable in to recharge it.
- The mousefeet use some kind of weird hard material that isn't as good as what other companies like Zowie/Razer use.
- Overall feels like a very cheap piece of crap.

The G700 is one of the worst mice on the market in its price range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

I should note that G700 is the best wireless mouse in the market imo.

This is objectively false.

The Razer Mamba is much much better than it in every single aspect (except for cost).

OP, if you absolutely desire wireless, then the Razer Mamba will deliver in spades, but it's gunna cost ya.
Edited by Remmib - 5/25/13 at 2:36am
M1
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7700k Asus Strix Z270i Asus GTX 1080Ti G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo Corsair H75 Corsair H55 W10 
MonitorCaseMouse
Acer XB271HU NCASE M1 Zowie EC1-A 
  hide details  
Reply
M1
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7700k Asus Strix Z270i Asus GTX 1080Ti G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo Corsair H75 Corsair H55 W10 
MonitorCaseMouse
Acer XB271HU NCASE M1 Zowie EC1-A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmib View Post

Of course you're disappointed with the G700, it's a terrible mouse. People who say they like it are simply trying to justify the fact that they are now $70 in the hole and stuck with a crappy mouse. I can't even think of a single positive thing to say about the mouse.

- Abysmal scroll wheel...honestly the worst scroll wheel I have ever used.
- Squishy and crappy side buttons.
- The switches used in M1/M2 feel lame and cheap. Must be some kind of knock off switches because they sure ain't Huanos or Omrons.
- Not the best design/shape of the mouse on the market, that's for sure.
- If you shake the mouse or move it around quickly you can feel how crappily it is made as the inside components have a bit of a rattle to them.
- Doesn't come with a charging dock meaning you have to plug the cable in to recharge it.
- The mousefeet use some kind of weird hard material that isn't as good as what other companies like Zowie/Razer use.
- Overall feels like a very cheap piece of crap.
This is objectively false.

The Razer Mamba is much much better than it in every single aspect (except for cost).

 

I have the rig in my sig. If I hated the G700, I would grab a different mouse don't worry.

 

What a useless thing to say that people defend the mouse for the price tag.

 

I also used the Razer Mamba but I would always prefer G700 over it.

 

Also everything I said is my opinion and even said G700 is the best wireless mouse in the market imo which means IN MY OPINION.

 

Just read some overall reviews over amazon or any other site that many people tend to favor G700. It has an average rating of 4.5 while Razer Mamba has 3.5...The average consumer reviews matter and important. That being said a highly rated product can still feel bad for someone which is normal.

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmib View Post

Of course you're disappointed with the G700, it's a terrible mouse. People who say they like it are simply trying to justify the fact that they are now $70 in the hole and stuck with a crappy mouse. I can't even think of a single positive thing to say about the mouse.

- Abysmal scroll wheel...honestly the worst scroll wheel I have ever used.
- Squishy and crappy side buttons.
- The switches used in M1/M2 feel lame and cheap. Must be some kind of knock off switches because they sure ain't Huanos or Omrons.
- Not the best design/shape of the mouse on the market, that's for sure.
- If you shake the mouse or move it around quickly you can feel how crappily it is made as the inside components have a bit of a rattle to them.
- Doesn't come with a charging dock meaning you have to plug the cable in to recharge it.
- The mousefeet use some kind of weird hard material that isn't as good as what other companies like Zowie/Razer use.
- Overall feels like a very cheap piece of crap.

The G700 is one of the worst mice on the market in its price range.
This is objectively false.

The Razer Mamba is much much better than it in every single aspect (except for cost).

OP, if you absolutely desire wireless, then the Razer Mamba will deliver in spades, but it's gunna cost ya.

Like I said, I'm open to a wired solution. Make me a recommendation.

I just want something that is simple, but comfortable and functional. Like my old IntelliMouse.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman3000 View Post

Like I said, I'm open to a wired solution. Make me a recommendation.

I just want something that is simple, but comfortable and functional. Like my old IntelliMouse.

I recommend the Zowie EC1 eVo.

Pros:
- Flawless sensor
- Really nice rubber texture that doesn't make my hand sweat like the rubber on my Mamba.
- Very lightweight, which is great for low-sens and FPS gaming (I'm sure this is great for all games really)
- Cable is really lightweight as well, since getting the mouse I am pleasantly surprised that it is not a braided cable (which adds weight/stiffness)
- Huge mousefeet, they glide really well on both my glass mousepad (Icemat) and my cloth mousepad (Qck+)
- No annoying drivers
- Great for palm gripping.
- "Notchy"/Heavy Scroll wheel - great for FPS games where you intend to only scroll the wheel a specific number of 'steps'.

Cons:
- "Notchy"/Heavy Scroll wheel - not so great for using internet browsers or games where you want to scroll in and out really quickly.
- Can't turn off the LED that illuminates the mousewheel.

$60 well spent. As you can see there are basically no real cons to this mouse...unless you find Huano switches to be too stiff, but coming from Omrons, it ain't that big of a deal to me.
Edited by Remmib - 5/25/13 at 3:51am
M1
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7700k Asus Strix Z270i Asus GTX 1080Ti G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo Corsair H75 Corsair H55 W10 
MonitorCaseMouse
Acer XB271HU NCASE M1 Zowie EC1-A 
  hide details  
Reply
M1
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7700k Asus Strix Z270i Asus GTX 1080Ti G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo Corsair H75 Corsair H55 W10 
MonitorCaseMouse
Acer XB271HU NCASE M1 Zowie EC1-A 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmib View Post

I recommend the Zowie EC1 eVo.

Pros:
- Flawless sensor
- Really nice rubber texture that doesn't make my hand sweat like the rubber on my Mamba.
- Very lightweight, which is great for low-sens and FPS gaming (I'm sure this is great for all games really)
- Cable is really lightweight as well, since getting the mouse I am pleasantly surprised that it is not a braided cable (which adds weight/stiffness)
- Huge mousefeet, they glide really well on both my glass mousepad (Icemat) and my cloth mousepad (Qck+)
- No annoying drivers
- Great for palm gripping.
- "Notchy"/Heavy Scroll wheel - great for FPS games where you intend to only scroll the wheel a specific number of 'steps'.

Cons:
- "Notchy"/Heavy Scroll wheel - not so great for using internet browsers or games where you want to scroll in and out really quickly.
- Can't turn off the LED that illuminates the mousewheel.

$60 well spent. As you can see there are basically no real cons to this mouse...unless you find Huano switches to be too stiff, but coming from Omrons, it ain't that big of a deal to me.

Wow, great recommendation. I will most likely buy this mouse based on the Amazon reviews alone. Many people are comparing it to the IntelliMouse. That said, I have a couple questions:

1. Is the scroll wheel really that bad? I could care less about the wheel click functionality (in fact, the stiffer the better because I don't want to accidentally press it), but what you say about the heavy/notchy scrolling worries me a bit. Can you tell me, how is the scrolling in relationship to the IntelliMouse? The IntelliMouse doesn't take a lot of effort to scroll, it seems pretty effortless, so I'm guessing that the Zowie is quite a bit different.. That does worry me a bit to be honest, because I do use my scroll wheel quite a bit (just not the clicking function).

2. How is the EC1 different from the EC2? Is the EC2 simply a smaller version of the exact same mouse?

3. You also mention that the side buttons aren't that great -- how are they compared to the DeathAdder's side buttons? Do they get in the way of your thumb, or can your thumb comfortably rest on the mouse without touching the buttons?

Other than the wheel scroll (which could potentially be a game-breaker for me), and the side buttons that could potentially crowd my thumb space, that mouse looks incredible.

Also, I must say that I really like the DeathAdder. Other than the fact that it feels a little cheap to me, the reason I don't use one anymore is because of the high lift-off distance (not present in older DeathAdders), and the tendency that it had to "pick" at my steelseries mouse pad. The latter was absolutely inexcusable -- I could've ordered custom mouse feet, but I didn't feel like fixing what I felt shouldn't have ever been a problem in the first place.
Edited by lukeman3000 - 5/25/13 at 4:05am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman3000 View Post

Wow, great recommendation. I will most likely buy this mouse based on the Amazon reviews alone. Many people are comparing it to the IntelliMouse. That said, I have a couple questions:

1. Is the scroll wheel really that bad? I could care less about the wheel click functionality (in fact, the stiffer the better because I don't want to accidentally press it), but what you say about the heavy/notchy scrolling worries me a bit. Can you tell me, how is the scrolling in relationship to the IntelliMouse? The IntelliMouse doesn't take a lot of effort to scroll, it seems pretty effortless, so I'm guessing that the Zowie is quite a bit different.. That does worry me a bit to be honest, because I do use my scroll wheel quite a bit (just not the clicking function).

2. How is the EC1 different from the EC2? Is the EC2 simply a smaller version of the exact same mouse?

3. You also mention that the side buttons aren't that great -- how are they compared to the DeathAdder's side buttons? Do they get in the way of your thumb, or can your thumb comfortably rest on the mouse without touching the buttons?

Other than the wheel scroll (which could potentially be a game-breaker for me), and the side buttons that could potentially crowd my thumb space, that mouse looks incredible.

Sorry, let me clear up a few things.

1. When I was researching this mouse I saw a lot of complaints about the scroll wheel, after getting mine I feel like the complaints were unfounded. The wheel is noticeably heavier than something like the Deathadder (sorry I cannot compare to the Intellimouse because I have not owned one of those in forever) but by no means is it unusable. It just takes a little more effort to scroll when browsing the net, and at the end of the day, I bought this mouse for gaming. I wouldn't worry so much about it. Basically every mouse on the market has at least a single flaw and compared to what those flaws usually are I find this to be very minor.

2. The EC2 is just a smaller version of the same mouse. If you like the Deathadder/G700 size, get the EC1.

3. No, no...I was talking about the G700 in that post. The sidebuttons on the EC1 are just fine, but they feel a bit different than the Deathadder's, but you quickly adapt. If I had to describe it, the DA has really clicky sidebuttons where as the EC1 has softer sidebuttons, but not cheap-mushy like the G700. Your thumb can absolutely rest comfortably with no chance of hitting the buttons without purposefully meaning to. They do not get in the way.

Personally, I don't consider the scroll wheel to be a deal breaker, though it is noisy when you scroll the wheel really fast trying to get to the bottom of a long webpage (due to the notchiness). The actual mouse-wheel button (Mouse3) feels good.

Also, the mouse comes with a spare set of mousefeet, which is always a nice bonus.
Edited by Remmib - 5/25/13 at 4:18am
M1
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7700k Asus Strix Z270i Asus GTX 1080Ti G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo Corsair H75 Corsair H55 W10 
MonitorCaseMouse
Acer XB271HU NCASE M1 Zowie EC1-A 
  hide details  
Reply
M1
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7700k Asus Strix Z270i Asus GTX 1080Ti G.Skill TridentZ  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo Corsair H75 Corsair H55 W10 
MonitorCaseMouse
Acer XB271HU NCASE M1 Zowie EC1-A 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mice
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Disappointed with the Logitech G700