Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Mac › I really don't get it, what is so great about having a Mac?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I really don't get it, what is so great about having a Mac? - Page 7

post #61 of 236
It makes you better than Windows users.


But seriously, there is not one thing a Mac can do that any windows or linux pc can't. And don't get me started on gaming, which flat out isn't even a part of Apple's business model.
Gran Turing(0)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX Titan SC 16GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB WD Blue 640GB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Samsung Syncmaster S23A300B 1920x1080 LED IBM Model M Zalman ZM850-HP 
CaseMouse
Antec Twelve Hundred V1 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Gran Turing(0)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX Titan SC 16GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB WD Blue 640GB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Samsung Syncmaster S23A300B 1920x1080 LED IBM Model M Zalman ZM850-HP 
CaseMouse
Antec Twelve Hundred V1 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysLadhani View Post

It's really just another way to do things. I switched because I'm an editor, but i love it. I'd never go back to Windows again. No more stupid problems, no codec errors, no trouble shooting, everything works the way I want it to. The only real reason I'd advise spending the money for a Mac is if you're tired of dealing with problems on Windows. I love that everything is a simple consumer setup, but someone coming from Linux can use the same power user features. And most of the command lines in Linux work in OS X so I didn't have to learn new ones. Try borrowing one from a friend or buy a cheap old one from Craigslist and try it out.

It takes a few days to get used to how things work. It's completely different, but there seems to be much more logic behind placement and design.
Everything just works because all of the software and stuff has to run through apple first.

Any properly designed windows software would not have those problems either. I do agree with you, Apple's iron fisted control on their OS, hardware, and software is the only reason they work so well. Everything is compatible with everything else. With any other PC, there is no hardware control beyond what you might assemble with a custom rig. That's why prebuilts have such a hard time not sucking.
Gran Turing(0)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX Titan SC 16GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB WD Blue 640GB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Samsung Syncmaster S23A300B 1920x1080 LED IBM Model M Zalman ZM850-HP 
CaseMouse
Antec Twelve Hundred V1 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Gran Turing(0)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX Titan SC 16GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB WD Blue 640GB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Samsung Syncmaster S23A300B 1920x1080 LED IBM Model M Zalman ZM850-HP 
CaseMouse
Antec Twelve Hundred V1 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 236
I wouldn't buy Hackintosh components at all.

The only reason I got my mac is because of battery life & ease of use. File assortment is up to you, I'm a neat freak so it's all good for me. Most graphic designers use macs due to their gamma, it's a fact, I'm not lying, many of the massive firms / companies use macs purely for this. Yes, you can change the gamma on windows but it's not the same, the colour reproduction on a mac is a lot closer to real life than on windows, having done this I can confirm this is true.

I honestly think if you were going to get an Apple Mac, that it be a laptop, the desktops other than the gamma mentioned before, have no other advantages over a pc of the same price. Yes I can't game on my laptop but laptop gaming is horrible anyway, battery dies in 3 hours and you need to spend upwards of $2k on a windows laptop togame at decent resolutions and details at smooth frame rates. By that time I might as well just have bought new components for my pc.

In summary, get a Macbook pro, Macbook air or something if you want but I don't think getting a hackintosh setup purely for mac use is a smart idea
post #64 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitar View Post

I wouldn't buy Hackintosh components at all.

The only reason I got my mac is because of battery life & ease of use. File assortment is up to you, I'm a neat freak so it's all good for me. Most graphic designers use macs due to their gamma, it's a fact, I'm not lying, many of the massive firms / companies use macs purely for this. Yes, you can change the gamma on windows but it's not the same, the colour reproduction on a mac is a lot closer to real life than on windows, having done this I can confirm this is true.

I honestly think if you were going to get an Apple Mac, that it be a laptop, the desktops other than the gamma mentioned before, have no other advantages over a pc of the same price. Yes I can't game on my laptop but laptop gaming is horrible anyway, battery dies in 3 hours and you need to spend upwards of $2k on a windows laptop togame at decent resolutions and details at smooth frame rates. By that time I might as well just have bought new components for my pc.

In summary, get a Macbook pro, Macbook air or something if you want but I don't think getting a hackintosh setup purely for mac use is a smart idea

I disagree, use a IPS with windows and the color is just as good as OSX. Having used OSX a lot in the past and have used OSX on my desktop before, nothing your said about the gamma is correct. Windows looks just as perfect as OSX does, this is fact and can easily be proven by opening up Photoshop on ether OS and comparing the same picture. It is up to you to calibrate you monitor correctly, using the internal monitor settings.

Also battery life is just as good on windows, it is a misconception that windows itself isn't as good as OSX on battery life but it is. On Macbooks apple uses crummy bootcamp drivers to bring down windows battery life. On windows ultra books, windows has no problem matching or exceeding apple equivalent notebook in battery life with equal or smaller batteries.

Hackintoshes have their own place, because if someone whats to run OSX on a powerful machine it would cost a lot to get one from apple. The Mac Pro is still using first gen i7 tech
Plus even when I had my macbook it ran windows probably half the time, though that was because I liked using firefox more at the time. Firefox on OSX was second rate.
Red Dragon
(19 items)
 
HTPC
(20 items)
 
HomeServer
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8ghz Asrock p67 Extreme4 GTX1080 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 9-11-11-31 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x 640 WD blacks Raid 0 Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 512GB SSD Sandisk 1TB SSD Samsung 470 Series 128GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Raystorm Windows 10 64bit Microboard m340clz 100hz 3440x1440 Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
TX850 HAF922 Logitech G502 Creative Sound Blaster Z  
AudioAudioAudio
Elac B6 & Dayton Audio SUB-800 Yamaha HTR-5790 Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 4GHZ Gigabyte EP45 UD3P GTX470 4GB OCZ Reaper 1150mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 500gb OCZ Vertex 2 60GB LG Bluray Corsair H50 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium  Logitech K400 Corsair CX500 nMEDIAPC 6000B 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Yamaha HTR-5063 PS3 80GB BC PS3 with 250GB hard drive. Polk Audio Monitor 60s Bi-AMP Front Polk Audio Monitor 30s Rear 
OtherOther
Polk Audio CS1 Center Polk Audio PSW10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon Harpertown 3.6ghz Asus P5Q SE/R HD7770 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 2TB Hitachi 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
2TB Seagate 2TB Western Digital 1TB Hitachi Windows Home Server 2011 
Power
Corsair CX500 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Dragon
(19 items)
 
HTPC
(20 items)
 
HomeServer
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8ghz Asrock p67 Extreme4 GTX1080 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 9-11-11-31 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x 640 WD blacks Raid 0 Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 512GB SSD Sandisk 1TB SSD Samsung 470 Series 128GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Raystorm Windows 10 64bit Microboard m340clz 100hz 3440x1440 Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
TX850 HAF922 Logitech G502 Creative Sound Blaster Z  
AudioAudioAudio
Elac B6 & Dayton Audio SUB-800 Yamaha HTR-5790 Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 4GHZ Gigabyte EP45 UD3P GTX470 4GB OCZ Reaper 1150mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 500gb OCZ Vertex 2 60GB LG Bluray Corsair H50 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium  Logitech K400 Corsair CX500 nMEDIAPC 6000B 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Yamaha HTR-5063 PS3 80GB BC PS3 with 250GB hard drive. Polk Audio Monitor 60s Bi-AMP Front Polk Audio Monitor 30s Rear 
OtherOther
Polk Audio CS1 Center Polk Audio PSW10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon Harpertown 3.6ghz Asus P5Q SE/R HD7770 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 2TB Hitachi 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
2TB Seagate 2TB Western Digital 1TB Hitachi Windows Home Server 2011 
Power
Corsair CX500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

You lose out on your boot screen though

Yes you do.


Viruses are probably the biggest problem with windows, though after being a PC gamer for years and not once getting a virus while only using things like AVG and now MSE as my main AV programs. The best way to avoid them is setting up your web browsers with good add-ons to block adware/viruses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillmander View Post

you get an apple logo thats whats great about them and you can look hip when your at starbucks. biggrin.gif

Yup I drag my 42 pound Mac Pro with it's 25 pound 30" display to Starbuck's all the time so people can appreciate my computer and know this 36yo Father is hip as can be. rolleyes.gif
 
DD Portable
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 5675C Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5 XFX RX 480 GTR 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Evo Western Digital Black RE4 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Shadow Wings SW1 120mm PWM bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Arch X64 / Gnome and OSX 10.11 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 590D 4K KBC Poker II be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W bequiet! Silent Base 800 
MouseAudioAudio
Speedlink Omni VI  Sound Blaster Z  Bose Companion 2  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3427U The Googs HD4000 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Flash / 128GB SanDisk Extreme SD card ChromeOS / Ubuntu 14.04 12" 2560x1700 bad 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
not much  Aluminium  Trackpad it makes noise I think  
  hide details  
Reply
 
DD Portable
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 5675C Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5 XFX RX 480 GTR 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Evo Western Digital Black RE4 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
bequiet! Silent Wings 2 140mm PWM bequiet! Shadow Wings SW1 120mm PWM bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Arch X64 / Gnome and OSX 10.11 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 590D 4K KBC Poker II be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W bequiet! Silent Base 800 
MouseAudioAudio
Speedlink Omni VI  Sound Blaster Z  Bose Companion 2  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3427U The Googs HD4000 4GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Flash / 128GB SanDisk Extreme SD card ChromeOS / Ubuntu 14.04 12" 2560x1700 bad 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
not much  Aluminium  Trackpad it makes noise I think  
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post

Everything just works because all of the software and stuff has to run through apple first.

Any properly designed windows software would not have those problems either. I do agree with you, Apple's iron fisted control on their OS, hardware, and software is the only reason they work so well. Everything is compatible with everything else. With any other PC, there is no hardware control beyond what you might assemble with a custom rig. That's why prebuilts have such a hard time not sucking.

not on Mac, not any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitar View Post

I wouldn't buy Hackintosh components at all.

The only reason I got my mac is because of battery life & ease of use. File assortment is up to you, I'm a neat freak so it's all good for me. Most graphic designers use macs due to their gamma, it's a fact, I'm not lying, many of the massive firms / companies use macs purely for this. Yes, you can change the gamma on windows but it's not the same, the colour reproduction on a mac is a lot closer to real life than on windows, having done this I can confirm this is true.

I honestly think if you were going to get an Apple Mac, that it be a laptop, the desktops other than the gamma mentioned before, have no other advantages over a pc of the same price. Yes I can't game on my laptop but laptop gaming is horrible anyway, battery dies in 3 hours and you need to spend upwards of $2k on a windows laptop togame at decent resolutions and details at smooth frame rates. By that time I might as well just have bought new components for my pc.

In summary, get a Macbook pro, Macbook air or something if you want but I don't think getting a hackintosh setup purely for mac use is a smart idea

windows has file arrangements and sorting just like OSX, that is also customizable and battery life is hardware thing not a mac thing. my old core 2 duo dell gets about 3 hours with actual use.

I can't argue it's simplicity because i i just simply don't understand. i'm not saying it's bad or anything i've already it's different but, i have to agree with others there isn't one things it offers, in fact lately it's been costing and sacrificing things with not being able to run it's own software with Mt Lion going 64 bit only and Lion loosing Rosetta .
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

not on Mac, not any more.
In that case, there is no justifiable reason to buy the things anymore. Unless you are a daily regular at Starbucks.
Gran Turing(0)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX Titan SC 16GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB WD Blue 640GB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Samsung Syncmaster S23A300B 1920x1080 LED IBM Model M Zalman ZM850-HP 
CaseMouse
Antec Twelve Hundred V1 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Gran Turing(0)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX Titan SC 16GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB WD Blue 640GB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Samsung Syncmaster S23A300B 1920x1080 LED IBM Model M Zalman ZM850-HP 
CaseMouse
Antec Twelve Hundred V1 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 236
My dad uses apple stuff exclusively. The joke about apple people never being able to shut up about their stuff is true, at least with him. It just works for him that is the biggest selling point. He never has problems of any kind. I'm always tinkering with something on my computer but he just uses his and it does what he wants it to. I've used it a bit and I have to agree. Very user friendly and (at least in this case) stable. OSX is beautiful I think and well worth it. In the end though you pay a fair amount more for the hardware and you are locked into their ecosystem. In his case almost exclusively office work. I couldn't stand one with what I do with mine though. It comes down to what you plan on doing with it, nothing more.

TLDR It just works 99% of the time... no fuss. Costs more, but you get what you pay for ultimately (based on my experience, not including relative power of hardware). OSX is a dream. In an ideal world I would likely run custom hardware with OSX assuming compatibility issues weren't a problem.

*EDIT* not advocating for hackintosh only saying if it weren't against their tos and was easily doable like windows or linux.
Edited by Tadaen Sylvermane - 5/30/13 at 12:40pm
 
Micromachine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4500u Inspiron 15 7000 Integrated 8gb 
Hard DriveOSMouse
120gb Samsung EVO SSD Debian Logitech m705 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD 5350 Kabini AsRock AM1H-ITX 8gb Gskill Ripjaws (2x4) Samsung 120 Evo 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSCase
WD 1tb 2.5 WD 2tb USB 3.0 Ubuntu Server 16.04 Antec ISK 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Micromachine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4500u Inspiron 15 7000 Integrated 8gb 
Hard DriveOSMouse
120gb Samsung EVO SSD Debian Logitech m705 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD 5350 Kabini AsRock AM1H-ITX 8gb Gskill Ripjaws (2x4) Samsung 120 Evo 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSCase
WD 1tb 2.5 WD 2tb USB 3.0 Ubuntu Server 16.04 Antec ISK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 236
One thing that convinced me to build my hackintosh was my next phone choice, I had always admired the compatability between iOS and OSX, and was really hoping for Microsoft to step into the game with the windows phone platform and win8, but that didn't happen, so come phone upgrade time, picked up an iphone and thew osx on my machine and absolutely love it.
post #70 of 236
This. I don't do any of this stuff, so Windows is my preference. for UI, i like mac's expose for laptops, im a bit outdated so expose may be pointless now with the new trackpads. overall, there seems to be too many disadvantages with Macs, especially for htpc use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversity View Post

First of all, it's based on Unix so you get a nice terminal and easy installation of languages, libraries, and so on. Xcode is a very nice program and exclusive to Macs, and you can develop iOS apps with it. The overall GUI is much more sophisticated, although it takes getting used to if you are coming straight from windows. By sophisticated I mean: The dock is done right and there are great ways to customize it by default, unlike windows. The trackpad gestures are top notch, allowing you to swipe between apps and different overall views, show desktop, etc... (The trackpads are universally acclaimed as the best in the industry). Everything about the GUI is made nice and simple, for example, the settings pane is not clustered like Windows.

For developers, you will find some tools on the Mac App Store that were created by individuals or companies, usually costing between $1-$50 for specialized tasks, and you won't find these anywhere on windows. Example: Base (a very neat program for managing SQL databases), Pixelmator (a $15 commonly used alternative to Photoshop).

OS X is the operating system of choice for software engineers and the professors of top computer science departments, especially because it is based on excellent human-computer interaction principles, unlike Windows.

Another thing people quite often forget:
The reason there is a lack of hardware upgradeability is to lower the failure rate. Apple understands that the majority of people who own computers, either Windows or Mac, have no clue about components and can very easily screw up the system. Think of it in the same way as why most people don't build custom PCs.

Overall: You have to own it and use it for a while before you understand everything about why it's better, it grows on you, and there are too many things to explain in words about the greatness of OS X.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Mac › I really don't get it, what is so great about having a Mac?