Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › $1500 Starcraft Build for Friend: Ivy or Haswell?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$1500 Starcraft Build for Friend: Ivy or Haswell? - Page 4

post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post

I made $100 off the games included with the new AMD cards. basically bought a 7950 for $200 Shipped to my house thumb.gif

you seriously cant beat the bang for buck. i have a single 1080p monitor, my i5 and 7950 combo has played every game on max settings 60+ fps easily.

How did you make $100 off the games. Where did you sell them and how much
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillOhio View Post

I made it through the campaign just fine at 1920 x 1200 on a 5870 with no worries. It's hard to imagine a 660 or 7950 would have much trouble.

when it comes to sc2 what some players are talking about is that any reduction in fps below 60 is a handicap. 120 apm (actions per minute) is standard for higher level sc2 play.

in late late game 1v1 even you can be cpu bottlenecked on nice chips when maxed armies clash, nvm 2v2 etc. when you are bursting 4-5 actions per second, dropping to 40 fps is a bit game breaking. average players wouldn't even notice a stutter.
N/A II
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @4.4 GHz P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560MB oc G. Skill Ripjaws X F3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA6 Samsung Noctua NH-C14 7 Pro 64 - edited 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Samsung 24'' 1920x1080, 1x Acer 24'' 1920x1080 Azio Levetron Mech4 OCZ Z-series 1000W 80+ Gold Coolermaster cm 690 II Advanced - Black 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 - custom Steelseries 9HD Semi Rough Glide Sennheiser PC330 G4ME Headset / Genius SW-2.1 8... 
  hide details  
Reply
N/A II
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @4.4 GHz P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560MB oc G. Skill Ripjaws X F3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA6 Samsung Noctua NH-C14 7 Pro 64 - edited 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Samsung 24'' 1920x1080, 1x Acer 24'' 1920x1080 Azio Levetron Mech4 OCZ Z-series 1000W 80+ Gold Coolermaster cm 690 II Advanced - Black 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 - custom Steelseries 9HD Semi Rough Glide Sennheiser PC330 G4ME Headset / Genius SW-2.1 8... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyburner View Post

when it comes to sc2 what some players are talking about is that any reduction in fps below 60 is a handicap. 120 apm (actions per minute) is standard for higher level sc2 play.

in late late game 1v1 even you can be cpu bottlenecked on nice chips when maxed armies clash, nvm 2v2 etc. when you are bursting 4-5 actions per second, dropping to 40 fps is a bit game breaking. average players wouldn't even notice a stutter.

Exactly my problem. Everything under 60 fps isn´t really nice. I get sometimes around 30 fps in Sc2 with an i7 @4,5 ghz in 4vs4. (100+ in 1vs1)
Its really annoying in the lategame, even a 200 / 200 Zergling Baneling Armys leads to low performance. Im pretty sure the performance is more worse in Hots then in WoL.
But it seems not everyone have problems with 30 fps and i dont think there is much you can do about it anyways. Maybe a i5-3570k @5,5 ghz does the trick rolleyes.gif

Starcraft 2 is very well optimized for 1vs1 but not for 4vs4 because it uses only 2 cores. Sometimes its only 1,5 core.
Edited by Pandora51 - 5/29/13 at 3:58am
Vinyl Scratch
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 - 3770k Asus P8Z77 - V PRO Gigabyte GTX 780 windforce 3XOC G. Skill F3-106660CL17-4GBXH 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD 2x WD RED 1 TB Raid 1 Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2414H TERRA 6236 (23,6") CM Storm Ultimate MX blue Corsair AX760 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G400 Steelseries (Sc2 Zeratul) Beyerdynamic 770 DT Pro 250 Ohm 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
Vinyl Scratch
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 - 3770k Asus P8Z77 - V PRO Gigabyte GTX 780 windforce 3XOC G. Skill F3-106660CL17-4GBXH 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD 2x WD RED 1 TB Raid 1 Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2414H TERRA 6236 (23,6") CM Storm Ultimate MX blue Corsair AX760 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G400 Steelseries (Sc2 Zeratul) Beyerdynamic 770 DT Pro 250 Ohm 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyburner View Post

when it comes to sc2 what some players are talking about is that any reduction in fps below 60 is a handicap. 120 apm (actions per minute) is standard for higher level sc2 play.

in late late game 1v1 even you can be cpu bottlenecked on nice chips when maxed armies clash, nvm 2v2 etc. when you are bursting 4-5 actions per second, dropping to 40 fps is a bit game breaking. average players wouldn't even notice a stutter.
Lol what?


120 APM is 2 key presses per second. 30 fps would never actually get in the way of that. Nor would 40, or 60. The only actual problem with less than 60 fps is that it is distracting.
Gran Turing(0)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX Titan SC 16GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB WD Blue 640GB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Samsung Syncmaster S23A300B 1920x1080 LED IBM Model M Zalman ZM850-HP 
CaseMouse
Antec Twelve Hundred V1 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Gran Turing(0)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX Titan SC 16GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB WD Blue 640GB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Samsung Syncmaster S23A300B 1920x1080 LED IBM Model M Zalman ZM850-HP 
CaseMouse
Antec Twelve Hundred V1 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post

Lol what?


120 APM is 2 key presses per second. 30 fps would never actually get in the way of that. Nor would 40, or 60. The only actual problem with less than 60 fps is that it is distracting.

I think your underestimating exactly what sort of timings the human brain is capable of, and what 30 or 40 fps actually means. when you hit 30 or 40 fps its actually because you probably lagged for 10-30ms on a handful of frames. I think its easier to estimate the impact once you look at it this way. adding 100ms of lag randomly from a couple missed frames butters everything you do by 200ms, and at an input rate of 5-6 commands/second (a novice player can hit these bursts accurately, me for example) that is basically as you can imagine destroying any semblance of gosu you may have at one time possessed.
N/A II
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @4.4 GHz P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560MB oc G. Skill Ripjaws X F3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA6 Samsung Noctua NH-C14 7 Pro 64 - edited 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Samsung 24'' 1920x1080, 1x Acer 24'' 1920x1080 Azio Levetron Mech4 OCZ Z-series 1000W 80+ Gold Coolermaster cm 690 II Advanced - Black 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 - custom Steelseries 9HD Semi Rough Glide Sennheiser PC330 G4ME Headset / Genius SW-2.1 8... 
  hide details  
Reply
N/A II
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @4.4 GHz P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560MB oc G. Skill Ripjaws X F3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA6 Samsung Noctua NH-C14 7 Pro 64 - edited 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Samsung 24'' 1920x1080, 1x Acer 24'' 1920x1080 Azio Levetron Mech4 OCZ Z-series 1000W 80+ Gold Coolermaster cm 690 II Advanced - Black 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 - custom Steelseries 9HD Semi Rough Glide Sennheiser PC330 G4ME Headset / Genius SW-2.1 8... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora51 View Post


But it seems not everyone have problems with 30 fps and i dont think there is much you can do about it anyways. Maybe a i5-3570k @5,5 ghz does the trick rolleyes.gif

your comfortability with sub-60 fps is proportional to your apm, anyone under 60 is fine under 60.
N/A II
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @4.4 GHz P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560MB oc G. Skill Ripjaws X F3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA6 Samsung Noctua NH-C14 7 Pro 64 - edited 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Samsung 24'' 1920x1080, 1x Acer 24'' 1920x1080 Azio Levetron Mech4 OCZ Z-series 1000W 80+ Gold Coolermaster cm 690 II Advanced - Black 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 - custom Steelseries 9HD Semi Rough Glide Sennheiser PC330 G4ME Headset / Genius SW-2.1 8... 
  hide details  
Reply
N/A II
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @4.4 GHz P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560MB oc G. Skill Ripjaws X F3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA6 Samsung Noctua NH-C14 7 Pro 64 - edited 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Samsung 24'' 1920x1080, 1x Acer 24'' 1920x1080 Azio Levetron Mech4 OCZ Z-series 1000W 80+ Gold Coolermaster cm 690 II Advanced - Black 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 - custom Steelseries 9HD Semi Rough Glide Sennheiser PC330 G4ME Headset / Genius SW-2.1 8... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyburner View Post

I think your underestimating exactly what sort of timings the human brain is capable of, and what 30 or 40 fps actually means. when you hit 30 or 40 fps its actually because you probably lagged for 10-30ms on a handful of frames. I think its easier to estimate the impact once you look at it this way. adding 100ms of lag randomly from a couple missed frames butters everything you do by 200ms, and at an input rate of 5-6 commands/second (a novice player can hit these bursts accurately, me for example) that is basically as you can imagine destroying any semblance of gosu you may have at one time possessed.
And I think you don't understand what 30 fps is compared to 60.

30 fps is 33.33ms between frames.
60 fps is 16.66ms between frames.

An increase of only 16ms.

I am not seeing where you are getting 100-200 ms differences from just because the frame rate is cut in half. It simply isn't there. The only actual impact, as I said, is purely in the realm of distraction. The only time this would have an actual impact would be when the rig drops well below 30 fps for an instant.
Gran Turing(0)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX Titan SC 16GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB WD Blue 640GB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Samsung Syncmaster S23A300B 1920x1080 LED IBM Model M Zalman ZM850-HP 
CaseMouse
Antec Twelve Hundred V1 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Gran Turing(0)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX Titan SC 16GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Blue 1TB WD Blue 640GB LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 3x Samsung Syncmaster S23A300B 1920x1080 LED IBM Model M Zalman ZM850-HP 
CaseMouse
Antec Twelve Hundred V1 Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post

And I think you don't understand what 30 fps is compared to 60.

30 fps is 33.33ms between frames.
60 fps is 16.66ms between frames.

An increase of only 16ms.

I am not seeing where you are getting 100-200 ms differences from just because the frame rate is cut in half. It simply isn't there. The only actual impact, as I said, is purely in the realm of distraction. The only time this would have an actual impact would be when the rig drops well below 30 fps for an instant.

kk.. well im not trying to win a contest here but...

all of SC2 agrees with me. for 1. anything below 60fps is hurting your game if you are high level player.

for 2, and the following is based purely on my own assumptions, I don't know im right, I assume I am. when you are getting a readout of 30 fps, its cause your dropping frames, not cause your doing a smooth 30 fps. its cause you were supposed to get 60 fps, relatively smoothly, and u didn't, because some of it took too long. were u to look at it veeery closely it probably looks like little groups of errors when things get really busy, followed by normal framerates. like within a given second.

heres a visual demonstration:

Os represent frames drawn, x frames dropped. lets imagine we looking at approx. one second of time:

OOOOxOOOxOOOOxxxOxxxxOOxxOOOOxOOOOOOOxOOOOOxOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

about riiiiight here ^ is where you got dunked by input lag and lost your ladder match. you probably experienced something like 100-200ms of lag. or something around there. roughly.

so... wrapping things up here, if theres any further explanation required I will do my best, and if im wrong, well I look forward to standing corrected.
N/A II
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @4.4 GHz P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560MB oc G. Skill Ripjaws X F3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA6 Samsung Noctua NH-C14 7 Pro 64 - edited 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Samsung 24'' 1920x1080, 1x Acer 24'' 1920x1080 Azio Levetron Mech4 OCZ Z-series 1000W 80+ Gold Coolermaster cm 690 II Advanced - Black 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 - custom Steelseries 9HD Semi Rough Glide Sennheiser PC330 G4ME Headset / Genius SW-2.1 8... 
  hide details  
Reply
N/A II
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @4.4 GHz P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 HD 2560MB oc G. Skill Ripjaws X F3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA6 Samsung Noctua NH-C14 7 Pro 64 - edited 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Samsung 24'' 1920x1080, 1x Acer 24'' 1920x1080 Azio Levetron Mech4 OCZ Z-series 1000W 80+ Gold Coolermaster cm 690 II Advanced - Black 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 - custom Steelseries 9HD Semi Rough Glide Sennheiser PC330 G4ME Headset / Genius SW-2.1 8... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora51 View Post

Exactly my problem. Everything under 60 fps isn´t really nice. I get sometimes around 30 fps in Sc2 with an i7 @4,5 ghz in 4vs4. (100+ in 1vs1)
Its really annoying in the lategame, even a 200 / 200 Zergling Baneling Armys leads to low performance. Im pretty sure the performance is more worse in Hots then in WoL.
But it seems not everyone have problems with 30 fps and i dont think there is much you can do about it anyways. Maybe a i5-3570k @5,5 ghz does the trick rolleyes.gif

Starcraft 2 is very well optimized for 1vs1 but not for 4vs4 because it uses only 2 cores. Sometimes its only 1,5 core.
How do you manage to get such low FPS in SC2. I can play the same type of match on my 670 and be somewhere around 50-60FPS.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

How do you manage to get such low FPS in SC2. I can play the same type of match on my 670 and be somewhere around 50-60FPS.

That is a really good question. i get sometimes in the very lategame in 4vs4 with many 200er Armys fps below 60. This is really extreme.
But it might be possible that my mates slow the Game so much that my fps drops aswell. Is it possible someone with an (for example) dual core slows the Game so much?

My graphic is middle and effects ultra in the Game. Effects uses alot power but i think its not enough to justify any low fps.
GPU is a 7950. Or atleast some driver is problem i dont know.

It is sometimes hard to compare too. Every 4vs4 Game is different and 200 lings are different to 30 tanks etc
In the Unit Test map i get around 60 fps with 250 banelings and 100 lings moving. Interesting.
Vinyl Scratch
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 - 3770k Asus P8Z77 - V PRO Gigabyte GTX 780 windforce 3XOC G. Skill F3-106660CL17-4GBXH 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD 2x WD RED 1 TB Raid 1 Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2414H TERRA 6236 (23,6") CM Storm Ultimate MX blue Corsair AX760 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G400 Steelseries (Sc2 Zeratul) Beyerdynamic 770 DT Pro 250 Ohm 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
Vinyl Scratch
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 - 3770k Asus P8Z77 - V PRO Gigabyte GTX 780 windforce 3XOC G. Skill F3-106660CL17-4GBXH 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD 2x WD RED 1 TB Raid 1 Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2414H TERRA 6236 (23,6") CM Storm Ultimate MX blue Corsair AX760 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Logitech G400 Steelseries (Sc2 Zeratul) Beyerdynamic 770 DT Pro 250 Ohm 
Audio
Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › $1500 Starcraft Build for Friend: Ivy or Haswell?