Ok folks, got a few questions:My card: ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II
(HD7970-DC2T-3GD5)Stock vBIOS version: 015.023
.000.002.000000 (113-AD45600-203)Overclocked via Afterburner to Max. Stock Values: 1125
MHz / 1575
MHz Card / 1.17
1) I saved my Original vBIOS using atiwinflash & gpu-z. Both are identical is size. Should i still boot into DOS and save the vBIOS using atiflash or is it safe to say i can customize my vBIOS using VBE7 safely?
2) I loaded the vBIOS in VBE7 and changed the following:
- Powerplay (State 1 - Performance):
#0 Core Clock: 1125
Mem. Clock: 1575
Max. Core Clock:1300
Max. Mem. Clock: 1650
TDP (W): 233 (= 280 w/+20%)
- Do the above #'s make sense? I basically put the max stock overclock as the default and plan to use Afterburner to overclock higher until i find a 24/7 stable OC.
- Not 100% clear on voltages. Will the VDDC become automatically unlocked after i flash this modified BIOS or should i be setting the maximum voltage i want to use back under "State #0"? For example, i know that 1125/1575 is stable at 1.18V but since i plan to test a higher clocks, do i need to proactively raise that #0 VDDC value to something higher just not to be limited by it?
- Finally, once i find the sweet spot in my OC, I can just flash the final Core/Memory/VDDC values directly to State #0 and not have to worry about Afterburner or any other program and just run the card that way. Makes sense?
I left all other values untouched (including State #6, as i didn't see the point).
Any other suggestions in terms of safe TDP value, Fan Profile or benefits of altering State #6 much appreciated.
Also, noticed some people saying NOT to use MSI Afterburner after a custom flash? Is that true? Should i just switch to Trixx now?