Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [EA] BF4 First DLC announced "China Rising"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[EA] BF4 First DLC announced "China Rising" - Page 13

post #121 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowman View Post

Just look at any Battlefield prior to Modern Combat which all supported modding and had expansions. You can look at Bethesda's games as well which have massive modding communities but have no problem selling DLC.

There's also the tiny little fact that the majority of their current sales comes from console gamers, not PC gamers. They would still continue to buy DLC.

Better developer/consumer relationships also help DLC sales by quite a bit. Mod tools would make PC gamers happy and more likely to support the developer by buying their DLC. Bethesda's games are the biggest evidence of this. They're single player and much more easily pirated than games like BF3 and it has mod tools which can also be acquired illegitimately, yet the game and its DLC sells extremely well.

so basically no ea games have mod tools, yet mod tools exist for other same generation games and your conclusion is that it is a technical issue for ea?

i'm not denying that mod tools could have profitable outcomes, but to suggest that ea's decision in this area is anything besides a policy decision that they think will maximize profit (ie dlc downloads) ,when it is carried out across the board, is naive.
Quote:
Whatever you say. If the DLC is released months after the vanilla game and you still believe that it was probably developed prior to the game going gold, then that's your prerogative. I'm just not that paranoid and I don't think EA or DICE are that out to get us.
i didn't say that, i said if it was released at launch. and logically how could it not have been, in that instance, created before release of the full game?
Quote:
Your point being? You say that like it's something they're not even considering. I know you don't believe DICE is but that's what the developers themselves say and I would rather believe them rather than some baseless speculation.

so you'd trust what ea employees have to say about ea, despite their obvious professional bias instead of critically thinking about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Apocalypse- View Post

Most DLC simply would not have been made if it wasn't going to be DLC. It's not pulled from the base game and sold separately. It was funded specifically to be DLC.

why isn't this a logical assumption to make (that it was cut from the game to be dlc), considering how contemporary games are dramatically shorter than their predecessors much of the time and the dlc is produced at the same time?

just because it was separately funded doesn't change the functional truth
Edited by perfectblade - 5/31/13 at 2:36pm
post #122 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

why isn't this a logical assumption to make, considering how contemporary games are dramatically shorter than their predecessors much of the time?

Another excellent point! Games now are 5 hours and companies call that job well done and pat each other on the back. When that length used to be called demos (of which many companies don't release anymore, humm, I wonder if there is a correlation there?). And some expect us to feel for these companies as they charge us full price for what used to be considered a fleeting moment in gaming time.
 
BitoHeaven
(16 items)
 
Cigar ATX PC
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5GHz Asus Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte R9 290 @ 1160MHz/1350MHz Gigabyte R9 290 @ 1160MHz/1350MHz 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Trident X 2X8GB DDR3 2400MHz Samsung 840 PRO 256GB  Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB SATA III 6Gb/s 64... Pioneer Blu-ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Liquid Single Loop Triple Radiators Win 7 SP1 Professional x64bit  Samsung SynchMaster 24" Widescreen 1200p TFT-LC... Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300w 80+ Gold Fully Modular  Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 Allsop Redmond Mouse Pad 
Audio
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX mITX  Sapphire HD 7990 @ 1090MHz/1600MHz G.SKILL Ripjaws 2X4GB DDR3-1600 @ 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial SSD 128GB mSATA SATA III 6GB  Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA II 32MB 7200RPM LG DVD R/W SATA with LightScribe Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Professional x64bit Samsung 52" 1080p 60Hz LCD Logitech Wireless K330 Corsair AX850 Gold Fully Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ATX Black  Logitech Wireless M215 Corsair Vengeance MM200 Yamaha RX-V681 & PSB/Polk Audio 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 640 ASRock N68C-GS NVIDIA 6600GT G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM LG Optical Drive Thermaltake Max Orb Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic 19” Flatscreen CRT Gigabyte GK-K6800 103  Thermaltake TR2 600W Cigar Boxes 
MouseMouse Pad
Zalman ZM-M300 Corsair Vengeance MM200 
  hide details  
Reply
 
BitoHeaven
(16 items)
 
Cigar ATX PC
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5GHz Asus Maximus VI Gene Gigabyte R9 290 @ 1160MHz/1350MHz Gigabyte R9 290 @ 1160MHz/1350MHz 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
G.Skill Trident X 2X8GB DDR3 2400MHz Samsung 840 PRO 256GB  Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB SATA III 6Gb/s 64... Pioneer Blu-ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Liquid Single Loop Triple Radiators Win 7 SP1 Professional x64bit  Samsung SynchMaster 24" Widescreen 1200p TFT-LC... Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300w 80+ Gold Fully Modular  Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 Allsop Redmond Mouse Pad 
Audio
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX mITX  Sapphire HD 7990 @ 1090MHz/1600MHz G.SKILL Ripjaws 2X4GB DDR3-1600 @ 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial SSD 128GB mSATA SATA III 6GB  Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA II 32MB 7200RPM LG DVD R/W SATA with LightScribe Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Professional x64bit Samsung 52" 1080p 60Hz LCD Logitech Wireless K330 Corsair AX850 Gold Fully Modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ATX Black  Logitech Wireless M215 Corsair Vengeance MM200 Yamaha RX-V681 & PSB/Polk Audio 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon II X4 640 ASRock N68C-GS NVIDIA 6600GT G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM LG Optical Drive Thermaltake Max Orb Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Viewsonic 19” Flatscreen CRT Gigabyte GK-K6800 103  Thermaltake TR2 600W Cigar Boxes 
MouseMouse Pad
Zalman ZM-M300 Corsair Vengeance MM200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #123 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

why isn't this a logical assumption to make (that it was cut from the game to be dlc), considering how contemporary games are dramatically shorter than their predecessors much of the time and the dlc is produced at the same time?

just because it was separately funded doesn't change the functional truth

Logical? Assumption? Functional truth?

None of the above. I work in the industry and that's actually what happens.

Games being shorter is a completely different subject from DLC.
The Obelisk
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z (Z68) Asus GTX 570 DirectCU II  EVGA 9800GT ECO 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz  WD Black 1TB OCZ Vertex 2 90GB OCZ Agility 4 128GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Samsung 840 128GB Windows 7 Professional 64-bit ViewSonic VX2250 Asus VE248 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Corsair AX850 Corsair 800D Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudio
C4 NGen Logitech G930 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
The Obelisk
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z (Z68) Asus GTX 570 DirectCU II  EVGA 9800GT ECO 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz  WD Black 1TB OCZ Vertex 2 90GB OCZ Agility 4 128GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Samsung 840 128GB Windows 7 Professional 64-bit ViewSonic VX2250 Asus VE248 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Corsair AX850 Corsair 800D Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudio
C4 NGen Logitech G930 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #124 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_2001 View Post

You mean to tell me that you might have to pay for additional content that someone else took the time to create...BALDERDASH....

Seriously if you dont want to pay it...then vote with your wallet and dont pay...your the one going to missing out on the game...the 50 bucks wont affect EA...I promise...

Says EA won't even miss your pathetic $50, PAEAN. Your loss not theirs.

Says EA is justified in charging you for a couple extra maps and guns because of the financial burden it places on them.

The mind of a fanboy, ladies and gentlemen. thumb.gif
post #125 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Apocalypse- View Post

Logical? Assumption? Functional truth?

None of the above. I work in the industry and that's actually what happens.

Games being shorter is a completely different subject from DLC.

are you honestly surprised when:

1. games are dramatically shorter
2. companies try to sell as day 1 dlc
3. people put 1 and 2 together and come to the conclusion that the dlc probably would have in the past been included in the vanilla game?

arguing that "it is funded separately" is an argument about semantics...
post #126 of 161
3770K
(14 items)
 
R7 1700
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RYZEN 1700 ASROCK AB350 GAMING K4 ZOTAC 1080TI REFERENCE MODEL G SKILL 8 GIG (2X) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WESTERN DIGITAL 250 M.2 2280 WINDOWS 10 64 CORSAIR SF600 LIAN LI PC-O10 
  hide details  
Reply
3770K
(14 items)
 
R7 1700
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RYZEN 1700 ASROCK AB350 GAMING K4 ZOTAC 1080TI REFERENCE MODEL G SKILL 8 GIG (2X) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WESTERN DIGITAL 250 M.2 2280 WINDOWS 10 64 CORSAIR SF600 LIAN LI PC-O10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #127 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

are you honestly surprised when:

1. games are dramatically shorter
2. companies try to sell as day 1 dlc
3. people put 1 and 2 together and come to the conclusion that the dlc probably would have in the past been included in the vanilla game?
Surprised? No. Disappointed when they're adamant the simplest no-context conclusion is correct? Yes.
Quote:
arguing that "it is funded separately" is an argument about semantics...

It's not semantics. It's reality. The vast majority of what ends up as DLC was only ever funded because of it being DLC. It would not have been funded if it wasn't profitable to fund. The alternative, what a lot of devs and producers want to do, actually is upping games to $70 to account for inflation since the original move to $60.

Yes, games being shorter is a problem, but it's also a problem of piracy where single-player games are significantly less profitable. It's why you've seen even things like Dead Space transition to multiplayer. It's just more profitable. Pouring a lot of money into a single player game without an established IP just isn't viable right now. With the systems available on the new systems and a couple things in the realm of PC DRM, this might change. Right now, the gaming market isn't open to it the same way it is for multiplayer games. All these systems might actually see a point where profitability might be had with lowering the price of games due to increased sales. And to buy back some good will, it would be done.
The Obelisk
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z (Z68) Asus GTX 570 DirectCU II  EVGA 9800GT ECO 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz  WD Black 1TB OCZ Vertex 2 90GB OCZ Agility 4 128GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Samsung 840 128GB Windows 7 Professional 64-bit ViewSonic VX2250 Asus VE248 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Corsair AX850 Corsair 800D Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudio
C4 NGen Logitech G930 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
The Obelisk
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z (Z68) Asus GTX 570 DirectCU II  EVGA 9800GT ECO 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz  WD Black 1TB OCZ Vertex 2 90GB OCZ Agility 4 128GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Samsung 840 128GB Windows 7 Professional 64-bit ViewSonic VX2250 Asus VE248 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Corsair AX850 Corsair 800D Logitech G600 
Mouse PadAudio
C4 NGen Logitech G930 Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #128 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Apocalypse- View Post

Yes, games being shorter is a problem, but it's also a problem of piracy where single-player games are significantly less profitable. It's why you've seen even things like Dead Space transition to multiplayer. It's just more profitable. Pouring a lot of money into a single player game without an established IP just isn't viable right now. With the systems available on the new systems and a couple things in the realm of PC DRM, this might change. Right now, the gaming market isn't open to it the same way it is for multiplayer games. All these systems might actually see a point where profitability might be had with lowering the price of games due to increased sales. And to buy back some good will, it would be done.

Lol. Blames piracy for poor game sales.

How do you explain short games on consoles then, specifically, console exclusives where piracy is, in terms of overall percentages, tiny?
 
NZXT Source 210
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 XFX RX480 GTR Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Western Digital 1TB WD10EXEXSP Western Digital 1TB WD10EXEXSP 
CoolingOSPowerCase
NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Pro EVGA Supernova 750 G3 NZXT S340 Glossy Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 XFX Radeon RX 480 Corsair Vengence LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital WD5003AZEX Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Pro LG GH24NS95 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 40" 1080p Vizio LED LCD HDTV Corsair CX600M 
Case
NZXT Source 210 Elite - Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT 3.2GHz Dell N6381 Intel Extreme Graphics 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... 512MB DDR 400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Western Digital 160GB IDE Covered in a thick layer of dust Windows XP Home Edition 32bit Dell M0148 250w 
Case
Dell Dimension 3000 
  hide details  
Reply
 
NZXT Source 210
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R7 1700 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 XFX RX480 GTR Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Western Digital 1TB WD10EXEXSP Western Digital 1TB WD10EXEXSP 
CoolingOSPowerCase
NZXT Kraken X62 Windows 10 Pro EVGA Supernova 750 G3 NZXT S340 Glossy Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 XFX Radeon RX 480 Corsair Vengence LP 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital WD5003AZEX Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Pro LG GH24NS95 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 10 40" 1080p Vizio LED LCD HDTV Corsair CX600M 
Case
NZXT Source 210 Elite - Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT 3.2GHz Dell N6381 Intel Extreme Graphics 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... 512MB DDR 400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Western Digital 160GB IDE Covered in a thick layer of dust Windows XP Home Edition 32bit Dell M0148 250w 
Case
Dell Dimension 3000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #129 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunderman456 View Post

I will also add that I remember the days when you bought a complete game and if the devs wanted to add more content they did for free and some even went further and provided the mod tools so the community could also share content. Self hosting and LAN were also omni present. The consoles came out and they started charging the little kids for extra content. The average computer gamer and the PC gaming magazines laughed at the fleecing and everyone were in agreement that they would not tolerate this for the PC. What ever happened?

Anyone who defends paid Expansions/DLC has not lived as long or gamed as hard.

Also a side note, remember when one used to install something on their machine it used to be called a "progam" not an "app". So many apps for the sheeple it's not funny.

Another side bar; who would have thought all those years ago that Microsoft would want to be another Apple? They are trying hard with Win 8 and especially Win RT to create that money sinkhole called a closed ecosystem.

I guess Doom 1 and 2 should have been combined...because all Doom 2 is more maps right?????? Wait what...Doom 2 cost??? But really isnt it just an expansion of Doom 1...And dont tell me there was a Storyline to the doom series...The 3-4 paragraphs of text between episodes dont count...
The Gibson
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-6600k Gigabyte GA=Z170X MSI 980ti G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
240GB SSD 1TB WD Black HDD 128mb cache LG Blu-Ray Burner Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3011 Dell 30 inch 1600p Logitech 920 Illuminated EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80 Plua Platinum Certified... Thermaltake Chaser Series Chaser MK-I 
Mouse
Logitech Performance MX 
  hide details  
Reply
The Gibson
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-6600k Gigabyte GA=Z170X MSI 980ti G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
240GB SSD 1TB WD Black HDD 128mb cache LG Blu-Ray Burner Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3011 Dell 30 inch 1600p Logitech 920 Illuminated EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80 Plua Platinum Certified... Thermaltake Chaser Series Chaser MK-I 
Mouse
Logitech Performance MX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #130 of 161
OMG you people are ridiculous. Please look back at every single battlefield game ever made. Notice the expansion packs, notice the content of these expansion packs, notice the price of said expansions to the amount of content you get and compare that to DLC from bf3 and we can assume bf4. You may very well notice it's essentially the EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF CONTENT PER DOLLAR!
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
3930k
(20 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [EA] BF4 First DLC announced "China Rising"