Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › About to pull the trigger. Any final thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

About to pull the trigger. Any final thoughts?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I've been getting a build together for my friend who wants to get into PC gaming, and he's about ready financially to pull the trigger. So before we do, I'd like to get the great community at Overclock.net's opinion!

A few things before I list the gear: I had an extra Intel i5-2500 (not K) laying around, so that's going to be his CPU. I also plan on upgrading to the Nvidia GTX 780 soon, so I'm selling my current GTX 680 to him for $300. Everything else he'll be buying new.

Alright, here's what I've got as of now:
PC Gear (Click to show)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 ($100) <== He wants the handle
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ($140)
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2 ($90)
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 680 ($300)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 ($0)
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 7200 rpm ($65)
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB ($100)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 2 x 4GB ($65)
Blu-Ray Drive: Anything (~$60)
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus ($30)
Wireless: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 ($40)
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium ($200)

Total: $1190

Is there anything I should change/swap out with something else? I'm open to all suggestions!
Edited by Sportsmaniac1322 - 5/29/13 at 1:59am
post #2 of 19

Pretty good if you ask me.

 

My only doubt is if he will go SLI in the future will a 650W PSU be enough. I am not sure. If you want go for 750W. 

 

But once again 650 might be enough.

post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

Pretty good if you ask me.

My only doubt is if he will go SLI in the future will a 650W PSU be enough. I am not sure. If you want go for 750W. 

But once again 650 might be enough.

From what I've heard, 550w is the minimum for a single GTX 680, while 650w is the minimum for SLI. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmaniac1322 View Post


From what I've heard, 550w is the minimum for a single GTX 680, while 650w is the minimum for SLI. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is what I found in internet. 650 might be enough but 750 wouldnt hurt. Price difference should not be much.

 

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation: 

  • GeForce GTX 680 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.
  • GeForce GTX 680 SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmaniac1322 View Post

From what I've heard, 550w is the minimum for a single GTX 680, while 650w is the minimum for SLI. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

A 2500 and a couple of reference 680s will easily run on a 650w psu.

Unless the 680s are voltage unlocked Lightnings or evBOT Classifieds.wink.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post


A 2500 and a couple of reference 680s will easily run on a 650w psu.

Unless the 680s are voltage unlocked Lightnings or evBOT Classifieds.wink.gif

 

What if the CPU and 680s are OCed? Would that cause a problem?

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

What if the CPU and 680s are OCed? Would that cause a problem?

Well I did this on my AX650:



Notice the 3970x using near 1.7v?biggrin.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post


Well I did this on my AX650:



Notice the 3970x using near 1.7v?biggrin.gif

 

Great info.. +rep

 

biggrin.gif

 

I would like to ask one last question If I may because I always wondered that.

 

What if we have few peripharials connected to the PC? Such as charging an Iphone at the same time, using Xbox 360 wireless controller, soundcard, stuff like that. Would these have some impact on the power usage?

post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

Great info.. +rep

biggrin.gif

I would like to ask one last question If I may because I always wondered that.

What if we have few peripharials connected to the PC? Such as charging an Iphone at the same time, using Xbox 360 wireless controller, soundcard, stuff like that. Would these have some impact on the power usage?

Not worth mentioning about. Usually when you recommend a psu wattage for a said build, you factor in cpu, gpu/s and the rest( usually 50w ).

This case, regular 680s run 195w stock and an I5 2500 stock is about 95w.

So about 400w for two 680s and 100w for the cpu, then 50w for the rest(mobo, ram ect.)
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post


Not worth mentioning about. Usually when you recommend a psu wattage for a said build, you factor in cpu, gpu/s and the rest( usually 50w ).

This case, regular 680s run 195w stock and an I5 2500 stock is about 95w.

So about 400w for two 680s and 100w for the cpu, then 50w for the rest(mobo, ram ect.)

Great thanks once again.

 

Than a 650W PSU will be perfect for Kepler SLI configurations. Especially 680. thumb.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › About to pull the trigger. Any final thoughts?