Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › How can my friends i7-950 (not overclocked) be faster than mine?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How can my friends i7-950 (not overclocked) be faster than mine? - Page 2

post #11 of 61
Ram frequency will definitely change your physics score, if your friend has faster ram than you, that could explain the higher score.
post #12 of 61
Check the memory tab in CPU-Z , is his frequency higher than yours? Also you are running triple channel for your memory?

If you could post screenshots of them both it would be helpful.
MOAR FANS
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77 UD5H HD 7950 G skill Ripjaws X 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
EK supreme HF Win 7 Logitech G15 Thermaltake TR2 850W 
CaseMouse
switch 810 Logitech MX620 
  hide details  
Reply
MOAR FANS
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77 UD5H HD 7950 G skill Ripjaws X 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
EK supreme HF Win 7 Logitech G15 Thermaltake TR2 850W 
CaseMouse
switch 810 Logitech MX620 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 61
Thread Starter 
@ CircuitFreak here is a picture of the memory tab in CPU-Z from me and my friend
test.jpg 139k .jpg file

@Stay Puft he has different ram then me, 12gb instead of my 6gb, about his timings im not sure, my timings are 8-9-8-24 but im upgrading to a 12gb kit (i got tripple, 3x2 and going 3x4 today/tomrrow) about core speeds, this is what it says for both of us @ dxdiag: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz.
hope that helps

@GaMbi2004 me and my friend both had similair results, mine were slightly higher by like 0,01 margin or something.
Edited by Averion - 5/30/13 at 4:23am
post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averion View Post

@ CircuitFreak here is a picture of the memory tab in CPU-Z from me and my friend
test.jpg 139k .jpg file

@Stay Puft he has different ram then me, 12gb instead of my 6gb, about his timings im not sure, my timings are 8-9-8-24 but im upgrading to a 12gb kit (i got tripple, 3x2 and going 3x4 today/tomrrow) about core speeds, this is what it says for both of us @ dxdiag: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz.
hope that helps

@GaMbi2004 me and my friend both had similair results, mine were slightly higher by like 0,01 margin or something.
your ram has tighter timings, but your friends ram is running at a higher frequency. the extra 500mhz on his ram could be accounting for the difference in scores. his NB frequency is also about 900mhz higher than yours, which will directly effect the score as well.
post #15 of 61
Thread Starter 
how can i increase my frequency to his level? since its the same CPU it should be possible to have equal frequency, right?
post #16 of 61
ok good.. wPrime shows us that your CPUs is now preforming the same.. since your GPU is faster then hes, the problem (more or less) HAS to be in the RAM.. can you link your new blocks? and hes. would like to see the specs smile.gif
and specs for your current RAM if you want us to take a peak at those too?

*Edit*
Can we have pics of SPD (from CPU-Z)?
Edited by GaMbi2004 - 5/30/13 at 7:41am
 
My Old Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell i5 4670K @ 4.6GHz MSI Z87-GD65 Gamer EVGA GTX780 SC ACX + XSPC Razor Corsair Dominator 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Series 120 GB Samsung 840Pro Series 256 GB Custom Loop (See Build Log) Win7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G710+ Corsair AX760 CoolerMaster HAF XB 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Func 1030XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 65nm MSI P35 Platinum XFX GTX275 Core Edition OcZ Dual ch PC6400 4GB kit 
Hard DriveOSPower
1TB Sata 2 Windows 7, Ultimate - 64 bit TT Toughpower 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
 
My Old Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell i5 4670K @ 4.6GHz MSI Z87-GD65 Gamer EVGA GTX780 SC ACX + XSPC Razor Corsair Dominator 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Series 120 GB Samsung 840Pro Series 256 GB Custom Loop (See Build Log) Win7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G710+ Corsair AX760 CoolerMaster HAF XB 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Func 1030XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 65nm MSI P35 Platinum XFX GTX275 Core Edition OcZ Dual ch PC6400 4GB kit 
Hard DriveOSPower
1TB Sata 2 Windows 7, Ultimate - 64 bit TT Toughpower 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averion View Post

how can i increase my frequency to his level? since its the same CPU it should be possible to have equal frequency, right?

Ram frequency is adjustable in the bios, same with NB frequency. You can only go as high as your ram's advertised speed, anything beyond that is overclocking. Depending on what ram you have you may or may not be able to overclock the ram.

First you need to make sure you have the ram set to the rated speeds in the bios. If the setting is on auto change it manually, and enter the first 4 timings as well. I am not familiar enough with the X58 architecture to be able to instruct you on what you need to do to increase the NB frequency, but I would speculate that it is dependent on the strap setting, or multiplier setting you choose for your ram.

Setting your ram or NB frequency too high can cause instability, so be mindful of what you are doing.

Your friend has his ram set to 1600mhz (800mhz in CPUz spd screen), so I would speculate that he has a ram kit that is rated at 1600mhz and has chose a setting in his bios to reflect his kit.

If you have a set of 1066mhz ram, you will be unable to match his kit.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMbi2004 View Post

ok good.. wPrime shows us that your CPUs is now preforming the same.. since your GPU is faster then hes, the problem (more or less) HAS to be in the RAM.. can you link your new blocks? and hes. would like to see the specs smile.gif
and specs for your current RAM if you want us to take a peak at those too?

*Edit*
Can we have pics of SPD (from CPU-Z)?

This information has already been posted above.
post #18 of 61
Thread Starter 
@Gambi2004
the RAM currently: Corsair Dominator GT CMT6GX3M3A2000C8
the RAM i bought: Corsair Dominator GT CMT12GX3M3A2000C9

my friend is not online and i don't think he knows the exact name of his RAM,
but this is from the 3d mark tests:

Module 1: 2,048 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 667 MHz
Module 2: 2,048 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 667 MHz
Module 3: 4,096 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 667 MHz
Module 4: 4,096 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 667 MHz

i hope that helps.

and a picture of SPD SPD.jpg 88k .jpg file
i have 3 of these in slot #1, #3 and #5 with same stats
post #19 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb2e View Post

Ram frequency is adjustable in the bios, same with NB frequency. You can only go as high as your ram's advertised speed, anything beyond that is overclocking. Depending on what ram you have you may or may not be able to overclock the ram.

First you need to make sure you have the ram set to the rated speeds in the bios. If the setting is on auto change it manually, and enter the first 4 timings as well.
I am not familiar enough with the X58 architecture to be able to instruct you on what you need to do to increase the NB frequency, but I would speculate that it is dependent on the strap setting, or multiplier setting you choose for your ram.

Setting your ram or NB frequency too high can cause instability, so be mindful of what you are doing.

Your friend has his ram set to 1600mhz (800mhz in CPUz spd screen), so I would speculate that he has a ram kit that is rated at 1600mhz and has chose a setting in his bios to reflect his kit.

If you have a set of 1066mhz ram, you will be unable to match his kit.

Good luck!
This information has already been posted above.

Hey Mattb2e,
so I looked on my ram and this is what it says: CORSAIR CMT6GX3M3A2000C8 6GB (3x2)
2048MB 2000MHZ 8-9-8-24

so what should i put on ram frequency and nb frequency in bios to put it on my ram's advertised speed?

since i have 2000mhz ram i should be able to have higher nb frequency and dram frequency without overclocking right?

i think my brother already put in the ram timings but i will check this
post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb2e View Post


This information has already been posted above.

Where? I dont see SPD or ram model anywhere ?

but sorry if I missed it smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averion View Post

@Gambi2004
the RAM currently: Corsair Dominator GT CMT6GX3M3A2000C8
the RAM i bought: Corsair Dominator GT CMT12GX3M3A2000C9

my friend is not online and i don't think he knows the exact name of his RAM,
but this is from the 3d mark tests:

Module 1: 2,048 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 667 MHz
Module 2: 2,048 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 667 MHz
Module 3: 4,096 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 667 MHz
Module 4: 4,096 MB Corsair DDR3 @ 667 MHz

i hope that helps.

and a picture of SPD SPD.jpg 88k .jpg file
i have 3 of these in slot #1, #3 and #5 with same stats

Ok cool.. it seams your ram is underclocked.. that is totally normal if you don't do anything in BIOS..
I suggest you go to bios and change "Ai Overclock Tuner" from "Default/Auto" to "X.M.P." This will go ahead and use the info from the RAM itself and set all timings, volt and frequencies.
and lets see "Memory" tab from CPU-Z

Good luck!

*Edit*
But it does seam like your ram is 1333mhz(667mhz) -> still mean that yours are under clocked.
and your friends is 1600mhz(800mhz)-> unless he OCed them?

Also, your rams are tested for 2000mhz(1000mhz) @ 1.65V
Im not sure if X.M.P will bring the RAMs to 1333 or 2000.. lets see smile.gif
Edited by GaMbi2004 - 5/30/13 at 9:42am
 
My Old Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell i5 4670K @ 4.6GHz MSI Z87-GD65 Gamer EVGA GTX780 SC ACX + XSPC Razor Corsair Dominator 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Series 120 GB Samsung 840Pro Series 256 GB Custom Loop (See Build Log) Win7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G710+ Corsair AX760 CoolerMaster HAF XB 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Func 1030XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 65nm MSI P35 Platinum XFX GTX275 Core Edition OcZ Dual ch PC6400 4GB kit 
Hard DriveOSPower
1TB Sata 2 Windows 7, Ultimate - 64 bit TT Toughpower 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
 
My Old Machine
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Haswell i5 4670K @ 4.6GHz MSI Z87-GD65 Gamer EVGA GTX780 SC ACX + XSPC Razor Corsair Dominator 2 x 8 GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.5V 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 830 Series 120 GB Samsung 840Pro Series 256 GB Custom Loop (See Build Log) Win7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung Syncmaster P2350 Logitech G710+ Corsair AX760 CoolerMaster HAF XB 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G5 Func 1030XL 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Core 2 Quad 65nm MSI P35 Platinum XFX GTX275 Core Edition OcZ Dual ch PC6400 4GB kit 
Hard DriveOSPower
1TB Sata 2 Windows 7, Ultimate - 64 bit TT Toughpower 750W 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › How can my friends i7-950 (not overclocked) be faster than mine?