Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › antec three hundred mod
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

antec three hundred mod

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Ok, you can call me crazy but I’m thinking of doing some mods to my two year old Antec Three Hundred case. This is my system know. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BLACK Edition I have OC a little bit on the stock cooler. I would love to push this chip to its limits. I also have two ASUS ATI Radeon HD6950 2GB in crossfire. I want to push these babies too.


Then I saw this.

Dusting has a h100 on the cpu and a h50 on each on the titans.

That gave me an idea. My case has one 140mm exhaust fan on the top of the case and two 120mm intake fans on the front of the case. The Corsair h110 is a 2x140mm closed loop cooler I want to put on my CPU and vent out the top. All I need to do is make a second vent on the top of the case. I also want to put a h55 on each of my 6950s to use as intake on the front of the case. From what I have been able to find so far the h55 has a lower profile block than the h50 and I think it will fit better in-between the card
But I’m not sure if the tubing on the h55 will be long enough to reach the front of the case, 11 or 12 inches. That is the 6 million dollar question.
To do all this I will need to move my blue ray drive from the top bay to the third bay I also want to remove the HD bays and then put the HD in a “basket set adapter” that has room for a SSD later on. While I’m doing that I will put some new cable management holes in the MOBO tray.
So that is the plan. What do you all think? Is the tubing on the h55 long enough? Am i nuts tring to do this?

post #2 of 14
You may want to make a wall of sorts on the other side of the H55 rads to help with your cable management. I went way over the top with my rad mount. Best of luck to ya!
MOAR FANS
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77 UD5H HD 7950 G skill Ripjaws X 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
EK supreme HF Win 7 Logitech G15 Thermaltake TR2 850W 
CaseMouse
switch 810 Logitech MX620 
  hide details  
Reply
MOAR FANS
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77 UD5H HD 7950 G skill Ripjaws X 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
EK supreme HF Win 7 Logitech G15 Thermaltake TR2 850W 
CaseMouse
switch 810 Logitech MX620 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 14
Remove the whole HDD mounting section from under the 5.25" bays - like THIS. That'll give you a crapload of space to work with.

I'd also remove all components and spraypaint the inside of your case black - it'll look much better then that raw metal colr that you have now wink.gif
Crimson Basilisk
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 2600K @ 5.1Ghz AsRock Extreme4 Gen3 Palit GTX 680 Jetstream 2GB Palit GTX 680 Jetstream 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Caviar "Black" 1TB SATAII LG WH14NS40 Blu-ray Burner XSPC Rasa CPU (Acetal) Black RX360 Triple Fan Radiator 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
XSPC DDC Two BayRes BMaverick Laing DDC (MCP350) Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Philips 201B 21" CRT 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX922 19" LCD Diamond Digital Black Antec True Power 750w Antec LanBoy Air Red 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Epic Gear Meduza (By GEIL) Steel Series QCK+ XL Asus Xonar DX ROCCAT Kave 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset 
Other
Sennheiser hd555 
  hide details  
Reply
Crimson Basilisk
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 2600K @ 5.1Ghz AsRock Extreme4 Gen3 Palit GTX 680 Jetstream 2GB Palit GTX 680 Jetstream 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
WD Caviar "Black" 1TB SATAII LG WH14NS40 Blu-ray Burner XSPC Rasa CPU (Acetal) Black RX360 Triple Fan Radiator 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
XSPC DDC Two BayRes BMaverick Laing DDC (MCP350) Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Philips 201B 21" CRT 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX922 19" LCD Diamond Digital Black Antec True Power 750w Antec LanBoy Air Red 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Epic Gear Meduza (By GEIL) Steel Series QCK+ XL Asus Xonar DX ROCCAT Kave 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset 
Other
Sennheiser hd555 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by un-nefer View Post

Remove the whole HDD mounting section from under the 5.25" bays - like THIS. That'll give you a crapload of space to work with.

I'd also remove all components and spraypaint the inside of your case black - it'll look much better then that raw metal colr that you have now wink.gif

thats the plan. now i need some time to get this project of the ground.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
is there a side window pannel for an antec three hundred on the market or do i have to go custom?
post #6 of 14
Custom, I did mine but it wont be that big unless you want to see your power supply and you cut the stock side fan out.
MOAR FANS
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77 UD5H HD 7950 G skill Ripjaws X 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
EK supreme HF Win 7 Logitech G15 Thermaltake TR2 850W 
CaseMouse
switch 810 Logitech MX620 
  hide details  
Reply
MOAR FANS
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77 UD5H HD 7950 G skill Ripjaws X 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
EK supreme HF Win 7 Logitech G15 Thermaltake TR2 850W 
CaseMouse
switch 810 Logitech MX620 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 14
Hi I've done a similar mod to an Antec 300. Although with a single 7970, I think I have a few pics in my album.
If your going to mount dual closed loops after removing the 3.5inch bays your going to have to cut partially the 5.25 inch bays to allow for the CLC bulge. Tubing length shouldn't be an issue. The thing to worry about is clearance between the 2x 120mm mounts, due to radiator bulge.

Not sure if you can mount the CLC sideways with the rad bulge horizontally, I don't recall if there was clearance issue due to the width of the case or possibly hitting something when closing it all up.

I used the bottom 120mm fan mount to mount my CLC., although depending you maybe dumping a lot of heat in the case, and you should convert the side intake to an exhaust. Alternatives would be to purchase several single slot blower fans that mount on the card slot to dump the hot air out. If you're really set on putting a plexiglass window.

Other things to note there are some hidden rivets in the 5.25 bays to pop off 3.5 inch bay mounts.
You should also cut a hole for cpu power connector on the top left.
Edited by MarlowXim - 5/30/13 at 8:09pm
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlowXim View Post

Hi I've done a similar mod to an Antec 300. Although with a single 7970, I think I have a few pics in my album.
If your going to mount dual closed loops after removing the 3.5inch bays your going to have to cut partially the 5.25 inch bays to allow for the CLC bulge. Tubing length shouldn't be an issue. The thing to worry about is clearance between the 2x 120mm mounts, due to radiator bulge.

Not sure if you can mount the CLC sideways with the rad bulge horizontally, I don't recall if there was clearance issue due to the width of the case or possibly hitting something when closing it all up.

I used the bottom 120mm fan mount to mount my CLC., although depending you maybe dumping a lot of heat in the case, and you should convert the side intake to an exhaust. Alternatives would be to purchase several single slot blower fans that mount on the card slot to dump the hot air out. If you're really set on putting a plexiglass window.

Other things to note there are some hidden rivets in the 5.25 bays to pop off 3.5 inch bay mounts.
You should also cut a hole for cpu power connector on the top left.

Oh thanks. I didn't know about the "CLC bulge." I guess i did, I just put the fact that there is a tank on the bottom of the rad out of my mind. That would have been a major buzz kill to find that out the hard way.thumb.gif
I may pull back on my plan now.mad.gif if the rads don't fit i may just go with a TON of fresh air from the front of the case and a exhaust fan on the side pannel to pull all that fresh air over the VGAs.
I have a lot of holes for cable management in mind. top left for 4 pin MOBO power, center right for 24 pin MOBO power, right of MOBO inbetween VGA for 2x VGA power, and near PSU for all the rest + SATA to MOBO on the lower right.
thanks again for the heads up MarlowXim.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
MarlowXim, what did you do to cool your Vram? Did you use heatsinks attached with thermal tape / glue?
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tihsho View Post

MarlowXim, what did you do to cool your Vram? Did you use heatsinks attached with thermal tape / glue?
For vram I had some lrft over thermal

For Vram I just had some heatsinks with pre-applied thermal tape from a previous GPU kit. You could try the copper enzotech ones. I actually bought these as a spare never know when you've gotta heat issue or hardware issue with something. Hit thanks if it helps you, and for thermal compound I used NT-H1 from Noctua for the GPU, spreads easily with little force.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › antec three hundred mod