My budget is around $2.2k, and it's all going towards parts that go inside a box.
I've been building systems since 2001, but I've never seriously overclocked; this will be my first OC attempt.
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600
I'm settled on this one. Best price/performance as far as I can tell.
- Tuniq Tower 120
This is the only part that I've already purchsed, I know this baby is good
- Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
great review that shows this drive to be an amazing performer, and other benchmarks have shown the relative uselessness of RAIDing these drives, so I'm set on this part.
Anandtech has a
- EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
issues with SATA drives on this motherboard, causing BSOD and system crashes/instability; and worse, the problem could be the actual hardware and thus un-fixable with a BIOS update. I'm considering an Asus P5B so I can avoid these problems. What do you guys think?
This is the thing I'm most unsure of. Many people hare having
- OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply
At $115 this seems to be a good deal, and since I don't plan on doing a 8800gtx SLI this should be sufficient; but I'm not too sure of this PSU (or how to shop for a good PSU in general), I'd love your advice in this area.
- G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
costs about $80 more than this set, but seems to perform about the same. This is where I'm a total noob - what RAM would you guys recommend for an OC'er on a budget?
This RAM has good reviews; I'm looking for a the cheapest 2GB kit of Micron D9 that can get me to 1066 MHz at 5-5-5-x. I was also considering the Corsair Dominator 8500C5, which
- eVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP
I have a feeling it'll be old news in 3 or 4 months, but, might as well, eh?
- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound Card
I want an X-Fi to go with my logitech z-5500 5.1 speakers. I'm not interested in paying an extra $100 so I can have the 5.25" bay insert, and the Fatal1ty edition is the exact same as the XtremeMusic, only it has the useless X-RAM included, so the XtremeMusic X-Fi seems like the best deal for me.
- Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan
I saw this at Microcenter and was convinced by its form and functionality. The sidefan should help since this is an entirely air-cooled setup. I just love this case.
I'd love help from the professionals before I pony up to the egg.
Thanks a lot guys.