Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [TheVerge]Windows 8.1 preview: many small tweaks make for a significant update
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TheVerge]Windows 8.1 preview: many small tweaks make for a significant update - Page 10  

post #91 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post

They need to stop shoving this start button down our throats! Make it optional!!!!!!!

I think they will not do that because they want a consistent interface. They brought it back because they were forced to by the sales number.
Ti-89 Titanium
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Motorola 68k @16 MHz Ti-89 HW4 256 KB 2.6 MB Flash ROM 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Ti-89 OS 3.10 LCD Dot-Matrix 160x100 4x 1.5V AAA Ti-89 HW4 Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i7 930 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC G.Skill RX 2x4GB 1600C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY Prevail Elite 120GB Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB LG GH24LS50 Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro x64 Lubuntu 13.10 x64 Samsung BX2250 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Be Quiet! S.P. E⁷ 600W Fractal Design Core 3000 Logitech G300 AKG K240 Studio 
  hide details  
Ti-89 Titanium
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Motorola 68k @16 MHz Ti-89 HW4 256 KB 2.6 MB Flash ROM 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Ti-89 OS 3.10 LCD Dot-Matrix 160x100 4x 1.5V AAA Ti-89 HW4 Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i7 930 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC G.Skill RX 2x4GB 1600C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY Prevail Elite 120GB Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB LG GH24LS50 Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro x64 Lubuntu 13.10 x64 Samsung BX2250 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Be Quiet! S.P. E⁷ 600W Fractal Design Core 3000 Logitech G300 AKG K240 Studio 
  hide details  
post #92 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix65 View Post

I think when or if I get my computer back running im gonna install 8.1. Only a fresh install would make me move to w8. But on s second thought I should just stick to the old cause I don't want no surprises with my audio programs during gigs...
So until all programs I use are 2-3 versions or updates in I can't make the move. W8 is not for me. yet.
Right, so you're a buisnessman or a DJ depending on which one helps your argument at a specific time?
post #93 of 160
and
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3770k (3233C Batch)  G1.Sniper 3 sapphire 7950 reference sapphire 7950 reference 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ares 32GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2.5" MZ-7PD256BW Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB Western Digital WD1002FAEX  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
usb iomega superslim dvd Zalman CNPS12X 7 ultimate x64 SP1 ZR30w 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
u2412mb u2412mb u2412m u2412m 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
V7 D24W33 LA2405wg E157FP dell sk-8115 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum-860 860W ATX12V RSV-R4000 Rackmount Server Chassis TeamScorpion X-Luca xtrac ripper xxl 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 logitech c920 webcam logitech C920 Webcam serato sl1 
Other
usb 2.0 hub 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3770k (3233C Batch)  G1.Sniper 3 sapphire 7950 reference sapphire 7950 reference 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ares 32GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2.5" MZ-7PD256BW Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB Western Digital WD1002FAEX  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
usb iomega superslim dvd Zalman CNPS12X 7 ultimate x64 SP1 ZR30w 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
u2412mb u2412mb u2412m u2412m 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
V7 D24W33 LA2405wg E157FP dell sk-8115 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum-860 860W ATX12V RSV-R4000 Rackmount Server Chassis TeamScorpion X-Luca xtrac ripper xxl 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 logitech c920 webcam logitech C920 Webcam serato sl1 
Other
usb 2.0 hub 
  hide details  
post #94 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59 View Post

I think they will not do that because they want a consistent interface. They brought it back because they were forced to by the sales number.

Nothing to do with sales numbers. People aren't upgrading because they don't need to. Believe it or not, enthusiasts on OCN do not make up the majority. We're a hair on the scalp of Windows users. Enterprises, normal consumers etc don't think to upgrade Windows on every release every 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

Right, so you're a buisnessman or a DJ depending on which one helps your argument at a specific time?
I know right? But this is OCN; Where anyone can label themselves "director of computer operations" or "lead tech" etc and think that gives their argument merit. I'm a simple graphic designer. I build my entire computer usage around efficiency because of this. I love Windows 8.
Edited by Paladin Goo - 6/1/13 at 10:56am
Biggus D.
(18 items)
 
Leo Laporte
(13 items)
 
Shooter McGavin
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1090T @ 4GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula 2x5870 in CrossfireX 2x4GB OCZ GOLD 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda Samsung Super Multi + Samsung BluRay LS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung 2494SW 24'' 16:9 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Silver Silverstone Strider ST-1000 Coolermaster HAF X Steelseries Kinzu 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 11.5x12.2 Surface 
  hide details  
Biggus D.
(18 items)
 
Leo Laporte
(13 items)
 
Shooter McGavin
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1090T @ 4GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula 2x5870 in CrossfireX 2x4GB OCZ GOLD 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda Samsung Super Multi + Samsung BluRay LS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung 2494SW 24'' 16:9 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Silver Silverstone Strider ST-1000 Coolermaster HAF X Steelseries Kinzu 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 11.5x12.2 Surface 
  hide details  
post #95 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix65 View Post

and

I take it you run your own business doing parties etc. as a DJ, possibly with staff.

This guess is based upon your posts.
post #96 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Dizzle View Post

I know right? But this is OCN; Where anyone can label themselves "director of computer operations" or "lead tech" etc and think that gives their argument merit. I'm a simple graphic designer. I build my entire computer usage around efficiency because of this. I love Windows 8.
wuuuuut? rofl...

There are many ways I can respond to that. But its pointless proving anything to you.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3770k (3233C Batch)  G1.Sniper 3 sapphire 7950 reference sapphire 7950 reference 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ares 32GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2.5" MZ-7PD256BW Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB Western Digital WD1002FAEX  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
usb iomega superslim dvd Zalman CNPS12X 7 ultimate x64 SP1 ZR30w 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
u2412mb u2412mb u2412m u2412m 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
V7 D24W33 LA2405wg E157FP dell sk-8115 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum-860 860W ATX12V RSV-R4000 Rackmount Server Chassis TeamScorpion X-Luca xtrac ripper xxl 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 logitech c920 webcam logitech C920 Webcam serato sl1 
Other
usb 2.0 hub 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3770k (3233C Batch)  G1.Sniper 3 sapphire 7950 reference sapphire 7950 reference 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ares 32GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2.5" MZ-7PD256BW Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB Western Digital WD1002FAEX  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
usb iomega superslim dvd Zalman CNPS12X 7 ultimate x64 SP1 ZR30w 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
u2412mb u2412mb u2412m u2412m 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
V7 D24W33 LA2405wg E157FP dell sk-8115 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum-860 860W ATX12V RSV-R4000 Rackmount Server Chassis TeamScorpion X-Luca xtrac ripper xxl 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 logitech c920 webcam logitech C920 Webcam serato sl1 
Other
usb 2.0 hub 
  hide details  
post #97 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Dizzle View Post

Nothing to do with sales numbers. People aren't upgrading because they don't need to. Believe it or not, enthusiasts on OCN do not make up the majority. We're a hair on the scalp of Windows users. Enterprises, normal consumers etc don't think to upgrade Windows on every release every 2 years.
I know right? But this is OCN; Where anyone can label themselves "director of computer operations" or "lead tech" etc and think that gives their argument merit. I'm a simple graphic designer. I build my entire computer usage around efficiency because of this. I love Windows 8.

he gave specific reasons. osx's more advanced audio features
post #98 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix65 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Dizzle View Post

I know right? But this is OCN; Where anyone can label themselves "director of computer operations" or "lead tech" etc and think that gives their argument merit. I'm a simple graphic designer. I build my entire computer usage around efficiency because of this. I love Windows 8.
wuuuuut? rofl...

There are many ways I can respond to that. But its pointless proving anything to you.
lachen.gif And you're saying that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Dizzle View Post

Nothing to do with sales numbers. People aren't upgrading because they don't need to. Believe it or not, enthusiasts on OCN do not make up the majority. We're a hair on the scalp of Windows users. Enterprises, normal consumers etc don't think to upgrade Windows on every release every 2 years.
I know right? But this is OCN; Where anyone can label themselves "director of computer operations" or "lead tech" etc and think that gives their argument merit. I'm a simple graphic designer. I build my entire computer usage around efficiency because of this. I love Windows 8.

he gave specific reasons. osx's more advanced audio features

You mean this excuse of a post, which was only caused because an app developer didn't finish his job on Windows?
Bad excuse for a post. (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix65 View Post

i have an audio program that's both windows and os x. through usb one can be hook up all sorts of midi hardware. on os x one can just get an app and use an iphone as a midi controller. that eliminates a $100-400 midi hardware. windows and android are behind in that aspect. even if android does catch up with the apps it's gonna be a long time before google really competes with apple.
i'm just disappointed and frustrated with windows/microsoft. microsoft is like the govt. it's too big and out of touch with the people. i remember numbers came out that windows 8 did worse than vista. then 2 weeks later microsoft made up numbers of how it's actually doing better than windows 7. then a few weeks later which is now they're going to release windows 8.1 because they listened to the users... smh.


intel and microsoft are out of touch with us and other companies need to step up to either wake them up or take their place.
post #99 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

I don't get how you thought I didn't like my phone but I do. Pretty much the same CPU/GPU as the GS3. Plus 4G internet is so much better then 3g, and I don't need to root my phone to get tethering working. 4G internet is kinda like having higher tier dsl, works great use it all the time at my buddies in the country as he uses his phone for internet as well. I don't know what you would call a "real smartphone" but I don't see any better phone OS then Andorid 4.1+ ATM. Though I would like to see you load up a song on youtube using the web browser then go to a different app to do other things. This is one of the reasons why Android and iOS just aren't fit for anything other then phones. While Apple has done a pretty good job creating a app market around the tablet, it is still a pretty basic device.

Windows 8 whether you like it or not is a pretty complex OS, it gives the user a lot of different options. Not only do you get a pretty decent UI tailored for Tablets (i personally like it better then the wall of apps on iOS), but you get a OS that can truly multitask. While Windows 8 still isn't perfect, it is a lot better then what he have had in the past. The Desktop side really isn't much different when windows 7 and using a program like start8 makes metro even less annoying to a desktop user. Also Remote Desktop is still built into windows 8, maybe not the metro app as I never check, but the good old remote connect is still free on the desktop side. Apple and Google don't have free remote connection software on the phone side, why would MS? Plus who doesn't use teamviewer in a home environment.
i like free stuff and microsoft gave away IE when aol was selling netscape.
i use teamviewer and infact one of my monitors is/was used to monitor the store remotely. the only problem with that is that i have to be by the desk. if i invested more on the phone as a hub than the desktop and i'd be more free and be alerted anywhere i am via phone.

i guess i am an OS atheist. i just use oses for whatever they are good at. ios, windows xp/7 , android, os x.


a phone equivalent to the GS3 is a great phone.

as far as multitasking goes... i don't see windows 8/haswell doing anything more windows 7/ ivy build wont do. that's my beef with windows 8/microsoft.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3770k (3233C Batch)  G1.Sniper 3 sapphire 7950 reference sapphire 7950 reference 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ares 32GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2.5" MZ-7PD256BW Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB Western Digital WD1002FAEX  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
usb iomega superslim dvd Zalman CNPS12X 7 ultimate x64 SP1 ZR30w 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
u2412mb u2412mb u2412m u2412m 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
V7 D24W33 LA2405wg E157FP dell sk-8115 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum-860 860W ATX12V RSV-R4000 Rackmount Server Chassis TeamScorpion X-Luca xtrac ripper xxl 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 logitech c920 webcam logitech C920 Webcam serato sl1 
Other
usb 2.0 hub 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3770k (3233C Batch)  G1.Sniper 3 sapphire 7950 reference sapphire 7950 reference 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ares 32GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2.5" MZ-7PD256BW Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB Western Digital WD1002FAEX  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
usb iomega superslim dvd Zalman CNPS12X 7 ultimate x64 SP1 ZR30w 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
u2412mb u2412mb u2412m u2412m 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
V7 D24W33 LA2405wg E157FP dell sk-8115 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum-860 860W ATX12V RSV-R4000 Rackmount Server Chassis TeamScorpion X-Luca xtrac ripper xxl 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 logitech c920 webcam logitech C920 Webcam serato sl1 
Other
usb 2.0 hub 
  hide details  
post #100 of 160
I just don't understand why people want Win8 to cater to them so much. Win7 is still being support for a long time from now and if there isn't any reason you see yourself upgrading then don't. I don't think Microsoft is hurting so bad that they need to force people to use Win8. I actually hope MS stick to their guns on the screen because no one is forcing you to upgrade. If you don't want to use the screen, don't use the new OS. This shouldn't be a problem, but it is and I don't understand why. It's not like your main programs are being updated for Win8 only. If they're working on Win7 then keep what you have.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [TheVerge]Windows 8.1 preview: many small tweaks make for a significant update