Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Clone primary SSD to external HDD so I can add a second SSD and create a RAID 0 - Help?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Clone primary SSD to external HDD so I can add a second SSD and create a RAID 0 - Help?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi...

I have a single 250GB Intel 510 Series SSD in my PC right now... I bought a second one to get the benefits of RAID 0 with the pair, but I don't want to have to deal with a clean install on the new array.

I've heard of cloning, but never done it and can't find a good guide on how to do it or what software to use in my situation. I have a separate 3TB HDD I use for storing media files on right now... can I clone my primary OS install, applications, and games to that HDD and boot from it just long enough to create a RAID 0 of the two SSDs and then migrate that clone back over to the new array?

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit... Asus P8Z68 mobo... i7 2600k... not sure if these details are actually needed. THANKS!
post #2 of 7
Go to windows backup. Make a back up to the 3TB then make a recovery disc. Once that is done you will need to change your bios settings for raid and then boot from the recovery disc and follow the instructions.
My System
(13 items)
 
System 2
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 4400 ASUS A8NE XFX 7900GT Extreme OCZ DDR 500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
300GB + 2, 160GB drives XP Pro HP LCD Z-Board 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SilverStone ST75ZF (750 watt) Aspire X-plorer MS Laser 6000 Aqua 3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D 6400 ASUS P5B Gigabyte Radeon HD 6770 OCZ Value DDR2 PC 4200 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 17" CRT SilverStone ST75ZF (750 watt) Aspire X-plorer 
Mouse
MS 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
System 2
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 4400 ASUS A8NE XFX 7900GT Extreme OCZ DDR 500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
300GB + 2, 160GB drives XP Pro HP LCD Z-Board 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SilverStone ST75ZF (750 watt) Aspire X-plorer MS Laser 6000 Aqua 3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D 6400 ASUS P5B Gigabyte Radeon HD 6770 OCZ Value DDR2 PC 4200 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 17" CRT SilverStone ST75ZF (750 watt) Aspire X-plorer 
Mouse
MS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Link View Post

.... I've heard of cloning, but never done it and can't find a good guide on how to do it or what software to use in my situation. ....

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit... Asus P8Z68 mobo... i7 2600k... not sure if these details are actually needed. THANKS!
I used this guide for directions plus the Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 3.0 software for $20. You can also use Macrium Reflect Free. It has a cloning function. Both will properly align the SSD and clone correctly.

The Paragon software is easy to use and its directions are clear.

If you use Macrium Reflect, click on "Clone this disk..." and follow the directions. Be sure to click on "Cloned Partition Properties" and then "Vista/7/SSD (1MB)" to properly align your SSD.
Edited by LeftC - 6/2/13 at 1:43pm
post #4 of 7
the biggest issue you will have is when you clone back to your raid 0, the system is set to boot off of one disk, not a raid pair, so it won't have the raid drivers running. Not sure how to overcome that, but make sure you look into it.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkalurk View Post

the biggest issue you will have is when you clone back to your raid 0, the system is set to boot off of one disk, not a raid pair, so it won't have the raid drivers running. Not sure how to overcome that, but make sure you look into it.

I would personally boot with both drives completely clean. Maybe do a firmware update on both just prior to booting. Do you have another computer to do this with?
My System
(13 items)
 
System 2
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 4400 ASUS A8NE XFX 7900GT Extreme OCZ DDR 500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
300GB + 2, 160GB drives XP Pro HP LCD Z-Board 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SilverStone ST75ZF (750 watt) Aspire X-plorer MS Laser 6000 Aqua 3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D 6400 ASUS P5B Gigabyte Radeon HD 6770 OCZ Value DDR2 PC 4200 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 17" CRT SilverStone ST75ZF (750 watt) Aspire X-plorer 
Mouse
MS 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
System 2
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 4400 ASUS A8NE XFX 7900GT Extreme OCZ DDR 500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
300GB + 2, 160GB drives XP Pro HP LCD Z-Board 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SilverStone ST75ZF (750 watt) Aspire X-plorer MS Laser 6000 Aqua 3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D 6400 ASUS P5B Gigabyte Radeon HD 6770 OCZ Value DDR2 PC 4200 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 17" CRT SilverStone ST75ZF (750 watt) Aspire X-plorer 
Mouse
MS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy127 View Post

Go to windows backup. Make a back up to the 3TB then make a recovery disc. Once that is done you will need to change your bios settings for raid and then boot from the recovery disc and follow the instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy127 View Post

I would personally boot with both drives completely clean. Maybe do a firmware update on both just prior to booting. Do you have another computer to do this with?

Weird; I had this setup to email me when a response came in... sorry for the late reply: I didn't think it would be as easy as making a backup and then recovering that backup to the new RAID array... is this legit?

How do I firmware update an SSD? Never heard of needing to update hardware on a drive before. XD

I have two other PCs, but I'm not sure what you would have me do with them. redface.gif
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Link View Post


Weird; I had this setup to email me when a response came in... sorry for the late reply: I didn't think it would be as easy as making a backup and then recovering that backup to the new RAID array... is this legit?

How do I firmware update an SSD? Never heard of needing to update hardware on a drive before. XD

I have two other PCs, but I'm not sure what you would have me do with them. redface.gif

Here is the firmware update tool.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

Not sure about the intel but my OCZ recomended it being attached to SATA (not esata or usb) to do this (this is what the other computer is for). When you do it it should reset the drive back to factory (newer firmware). Please read as much about the process as you can from that site prior top doing it. I am no expert on it but I can point you in the right direction.

The whole point being that it will be best to start with two "fresh" drives becuase unless you do it may continue to try and boot from the old single ssd.
My System
(13 items)
 
System 2
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 4400 ASUS A8NE XFX 7900GT Extreme OCZ DDR 500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
300GB + 2, 160GB drives XP Pro HP LCD Z-Board 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SilverStone ST75ZF (750 watt) Aspire X-plorer MS Laser 6000 Aqua 3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D 6400 ASUS P5B Gigabyte Radeon HD 6770 OCZ Value DDR2 PC 4200 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 17" CRT SilverStone ST75ZF (750 watt) Aspire X-plorer 
Mouse
MS 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
System 2
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X2 4400 ASUS A8NE XFX 7900GT Extreme OCZ DDR 500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
300GB + 2, 160GB drives XP Pro HP LCD Z-Board 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SilverStone ST75ZF (750 watt) Aspire X-plorer MS Laser 6000 Aqua 3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D 6400 ASUS P5B Gigabyte Radeon HD 6770 OCZ Value DDR2 PC 4200 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 17" CRT SilverStone ST75ZF (750 watt) Aspire X-plorer 
Mouse
MS 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Clone primary SSD to external HDD so I can add a second SSD and create a RAID 0 - Help?