Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Daily Mail]Evidence of the existence of 'multiverse' revealed for the first time by cosmic map
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Daily Mail]Evidence of the existence of 'multiverse' revealed for the first time by cosmic map - Page 12

post #111 of 225
Thread Starter 
The "infinite" thing is actually a little far-fetched. The idea comes from string theory, which speculates that while universes such as ours form and go with time (you know, inconceivably long amounts of time), the math says the number of them is always going to go up. So if you consider "infinite time" to be a possibility then eventually there will be (for all intents and purposes) infinite universes.

Of course string theory has not really left the theoretical stage yet. So you can all take this how you want. Also feel the need to use this as an opportunity to point out how futile it is to argue about things like this.
The Mad Cow
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz Gigabyte H61M-S2H HIS Radeon HD 6670 Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue Samsung/Hitachi something or other assortment of leftovers from old systems hot-gl... Xubuntu 15.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony whatevs Logitech K400 Thermaltake Smart650 Hand-me-down Gateway case 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Can you believe I got it at a gas station? worth more than the software it came with. Sup... JVC XX in-ears Logitech f310 
  hide details  
Reply
The Mad Cow
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz Gigabyte H61M-S2H HIS Radeon HD 6670 Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue Samsung/Hitachi something or other assortment of leftovers from old systems hot-gl... Xubuntu 15.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony whatevs Logitech K400 Thermaltake Smart650 Hand-me-down Gateway case 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Can you believe I got it at a gas station? worth more than the software it came with. Sup... JVC XX in-ears Logitech f310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #112 of 225
reminds me off simulation theory
post #113 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroc91 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

What don't I grasp?

Infinity is a quantity. It tells me how much of something there is.

It doesn't tell me what that something is.

Under the assumption that there are truly an infinite number of universes, everything that's possible will happen, no matter how improbable.

Each Universe would be it's own container.
Meaning each one is independent of the other.

Which means the chance that "you" are replicated on each other Universe could be 0% or it could be 100%.
Now if it was >0%, hypothetically, in an infinite set you are guaranteed to see it.
But if it was 0%, then even in an infinite set you would not see one.

We know that "you" exist on this Universe, but each one in the set would be independent.

I just don't get how you derive certainty from 0%.
How can you definitely say that there is >0% for "you" to be in another independent Universe?

You said it yourself (bolded above).
Edited by kennyparker1337 - 6/5/13 at 5:42pm
post #114 of 225
Thread Starter 
Now you're getting into the definitions. What is "you" really?

Who really cares if there's another "person" out there that is functionally identical to another. Heck supposedly there's about 7 people in the world who look indistinguishable from you.

The real question is whether it is possible to experience another existence, another lifetime.

Which an attempt to answer would thoroughly derail this thread.
The Mad Cow
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz Gigabyte H61M-S2H HIS Radeon HD 6670 Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue Samsung/Hitachi something or other assortment of leftovers from old systems hot-gl... Xubuntu 15.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony whatevs Logitech K400 Thermaltake Smart650 Hand-me-down Gateway case 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Can you believe I got it at a gas station? worth more than the software it came with. Sup... JVC XX in-ears Logitech f310 
  hide details  
Reply
The Mad Cow
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz Gigabyte H61M-S2H HIS Radeon HD 6670 Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue Samsung/Hitachi something or other assortment of leftovers from old systems hot-gl... Xubuntu 15.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony whatevs Logitech K400 Thermaltake Smart650 Hand-me-down Gateway case 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Can you believe I got it at a gas station? worth more than the software it came with. Sup... JVC XX in-ears Logitech f310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #115 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

I just don't get how you derive certainty from 0%.
How can you definitely say that there is >0% for "you" to be in another independent Universe?

I exist here, so obviously the chance of me existing is >0%, assuming the laws of nature are the same in each universe.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 SABERTOOTH X58 Gigabyte GTX 970 Corsair  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD 320GB WD 1TB Hitachi 1TB CM Hyper 212 Plus 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 10 Pro 24" Sceptre 20" Asus Corsair TX750 
Case
Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 SABERTOOTH X58 Gigabyte GTX 970 Corsair  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD 320GB WD 1TB Hitachi 1TB CM Hyper 212 Plus 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 10 Pro 24" Sceptre 20" Asus Corsair TX750 
Case
Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #116 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyMcFlych View Post

I don't think you quite grasp the infinite part of all this.

I think you don't grasp probability. Even if there was a 99% chance there was a copy of you in every universe, it would still be possible for you to have 0 copies, because the 1% could have prevailed every time.

So the only certainty is uncertainty. That's Pliny. The ancients knew stuff.
Chatterwhite
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 4670k GRYPHON Z87 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 g.skill sniper 1866 8GB Mushkin Chronos 120GB Kingston SSD Now v300 256GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x WD Black in RAID 0 4TB Coolermaster Nepton 140XL Windows 10 Pro Yamakasi Catleap 1440P 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS V24H Corsair C70 EVGA Supernova 750 Thermaltake core v21 
Mouse
Roccat Kone+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Chatterwhite
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 4670k GRYPHON Z87 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 g.skill sniper 1866 8GB Mushkin Chronos 120GB Kingston SSD Now v300 256GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2x WD Black in RAID 0 4TB Coolermaster Nepton 140XL Windows 10 Pro Yamakasi Catleap 1440P 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS V24H Corsair C70 EVGA Supernova 750 Thermaltake core v21 
Mouse
Roccat Kone+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #117 of 225
Quote:
So you can all take this how you want. Also feel the need to use this as an opportunity to point out how futile it is to argue about things like this.

Like the chicken or the egg paradox, It is futile, especially  when we see that the first micro organisms replicated themselves hence they were both the chicken and the egg. like there being infinite universes with or without you, they both exist, only if there is an infinite number of universes, only the calculations say that is possible for there being an infinite number of universes, and as we all know not all numbers are real numbers or even rational numbers.  

Current State
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 3770k Asus Maximus V Formula to be determined Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB 2400Mhz 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
EKWB to be determined to be determined Seasonic x 650 
CaseMouse
Corsair 780T Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
Current State
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 3770k Asus Maximus V Formula to be determined Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB 2400Mhz 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
EKWB to be determined to be determined Seasonic x 650 
CaseMouse
Corsair 780T Logitech G400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #118 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by votum View Post

I think you don't grasp probability. Even if there was a 99% chance there was a copy of you in every universe, it would still be possible for you to have 0 copies, because the 1% could have prevailed every time.

So the only certainty is uncertainty. That's Pliny. The ancients knew stuff.

Law of large numbers states that as the number of trials approaches infinity, the frequency of occurrence approaches the theoretical probability, so eventually, in an infinite number of universes with a 99% chance of there being a copy of you, 99% of them actually would have a copy. It can be experimentally demonstrated in the short run, so to think it wouldn't happen in infinite trials is just ridiculous.

One could also demonstrate that the probability of no copies approaches zero simply with the multiplication rule.

(1/100)*number of trials

The chance of 1 universe having 0 copies of you- 1%, 2 universes- 0.01%, 3 universes- 0.0001%, 10 universes- 0.00000001%. Once you get to 1000 universes, you're dealing with a decimal followed 98 zeroes percent. It would be infinitesimally small by a million universes, let alone more. So, as you approach infinity trials, the chance approaches 0.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 SABERTOOTH X58 Gigabyte GTX 970 Corsair  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD 320GB WD 1TB Hitachi 1TB CM Hyper 212 Plus 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 10 Pro 24" Sceptre 20" Asus Corsair TX750 
Case
Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 SABERTOOTH X58 Gigabyte GTX 970 Corsair  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD 320GB WD 1TB Hitachi 1TB CM Hyper 212 Plus 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 10 Pro 24" Sceptre 20" Asus Corsair TX750 
Case
Antec 1200 
  hide details  
Reply
post #119 of 225
Thread Starter 
Infinity is not a number.

In this type of discussion it is more of an operand.
The Mad Cow
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz Gigabyte H61M-S2H HIS Radeon HD 6670 Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue Samsung/Hitachi something or other assortment of leftovers from old systems hot-gl... Xubuntu 15.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony whatevs Logitech K400 Thermaltake Smart650 Hand-me-down Gateway case 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Can you believe I got it at a gas station? worth more than the software it came with. Sup... JVC XX in-ears Logitech f310 
  hide details  
Reply
The Mad Cow
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz Gigabyte H61M-S2H HIS Radeon HD 6670 Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Caviar Blue Samsung/Hitachi something or other assortment of leftovers from old systems hot-gl... Xubuntu 15.04 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony whatevs Logitech K400 Thermaltake Smart650 Hand-me-down Gateway case 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Can you believe I got it at a gas station? worth more than the software it came with. Sup... JVC XX in-ears Logitech f310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #120 of 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by votum View Post

I think you don't grasp probability. Even if there was a 99% chance there was a copy of you in every universe, it would still be possible for you to have 0 copies, because the 1% could have prevailed every time.

So the only certainty is uncertainty. That's Pliny. The ancients knew stuff.

No, it seems like he has a pretty firm grasp of the subject.

If you were dealing with a defined number, you'd be right. It's possible that even in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 universes, there would be zero copies of you. But 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 isn't infinity. It doesn't matter what the chance of x happening is, unless it's exactly 0%, there will be an infinite number of universes where x happens, even if the probability is 0.000000000001%.
COST EFFECTIVE
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz 1.24v Asus P8P67 Vanilla ASUS GTX660Ti DirectCU OC @ 1,250MHz/7,000MHz G.Skill Eco 1600Mhz 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1TB (WD10EZEX) Intel 520 120GB LG SuperMulti CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ E2420HD Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless w/ MX blues Seasonic SS-650HT 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 500R Logitech G400 Steelseries QCK Asus Xonar DG 
AudioOther
Fiio E17 Alpen Beyerdynamic DT770 + Zalman clip-on mic 
  hide details  
Reply
COST EFFECTIVE
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz 1.24v Asus P8P67 Vanilla ASUS GTX660Ti DirectCU OC @ 1,250MHz/7,000MHz G.Skill Eco 1600Mhz 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1TB (WD10EZEX) Intel 520 120GB LG SuperMulti CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ E2420HD Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless w/ MX blues Seasonic SS-650HT 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 500R Logitech G400 Steelseries QCK Asus Xonar DG 
AudioOther
Fiio E17 Alpen Beyerdynamic DT770 + Zalman clip-on mic 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Daily Mail]Evidence of the existence of 'multiverse' revealed for the first time by cosmic map