Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Is now the best time to upgrade to Haswell?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is now the best time to upgrade to Haswell? - Page 2

Poll Results: What should I do?

 
  • 42% (6)
    Upgrade to Haswell now
  • 42% (6)
    Upgrade to Haswell after the C2 revision comes out
  • 14% (2)
    Other (please explain)
14 Total Votes  
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpersuazn View Post

According to TH, your post is invalid.


Starcraft 2 is not something you can run a benchmark on..

Those benches that dip every cpu into low 20s are NOT realistic battle situations.

I've played extensively "REAL GAMES" with My pc, and at my friend's house, he has a 4.8ghz 8150:rolleyes:
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post


I've played extensively "REAL GAMES" with My pc, and at my friend's house, he has a 4.8ghz 8150:rolleyes:

Could you list your PC parts in Rigbuilder, please? That way I can get a sense of what your perspective is. thumb.gif
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpersuazn View Post

Could you list your PC parts in Rigbuilder, please? That way I can get a sense of what your perspective is. thumb.gif

7970cfx 1100 oc
2500k 5ghz 1.45v IBT load, 1.5v starcraft 2 load
asus z68 pro
sam 830ssd
post #14 of 26
Haswell right now is at best a ho-hum upgrade and with current pricing it makes little sense. If you have an Ivy or Sandybridge you are looking at an average boost of only a few percentage points. Yes you can find tests that say more but you can also find tests that say less. My methodology is to look at a lot of tests and average out the result.

With the current pricing and this minor boost in performance the only reason to buy Haswell right now is if you have an older or less powerful system than a Sandy or Ivy. If you have the Sandy or Ivy I would hold off and wait to see what is next or at least wait for pricing to drop, which it will.
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post

I've played extensively "REAL GAMES" with My pc, and at my friend's house, he has a 4.8ghz 8150:rolleyes:

Can you define "real games"?
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar63 View Post

Can you define "real games"?

Say I'm playing TvP

I got my marine ball 120T maybe a few thors in there vs 140P w/ zlot, a few achon, 2-3 colossus


in THIS type of real battle.. I get minimums of 50-70fps

My friend w his 4.8ghz 8150 would get 25-40fps


WE PLAYED ALOT.... together... no homo
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post

Say I'm playing TvP

I got my marine ball 120T maybe a few thors in there vs 140P w/ zlot, a few achon, 2-3 colossus


in THIS type of real battle.. I get minimums of 50-70fps

My friend w his 4.8ghz 8150 would get 25-40fps


WE PLAYED ALOT.... together... no homo

Would you know his system specs, by chance?
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpersuazn View Post

Would you know his system specs, by chance?

he uses a 4.8g 8150 and a 570

but we play on MINIMUM graphics setting so our fps outside of battle is usually 300+,

I just want to emphasize that the game situations I've mentioned is a CPU limitation not gfx.
post #19 of 26
In which I respond by saying, decreasing the resolution and/or turn down the graphics settings should still let the AMD 955 CPU play SC2 with viable FPS.
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpersuazn View Post

In which I respond by saying, decreasing the resolution and/or turn down the graphics settings should still let the AMD 955 CPU play SC2 with viable FPS.

My friend an I were already using minimum graphics settings as we try to mirror how the pros play.

I even turn off shadow and most of the lighting effects.

My starcraft 2 "looks like" starcraft 1. biggrin.gif

the low fps situations during my games are completely due to CPU limitation.. this is where the intel is "twice" as good as amd for starcraft 2..

I'm not claiming intel is better at anything else, because I don't care... but for this one specific thing.. intel can't be beat. and the 955 is molasses
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Is now the best time to upgrade to Haswell?