Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Reasonable Z87 Motherboard for Overclocking?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasonable Z87 Motherboard for Overclocking?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone,

As the titles says: which motherboard is a reasonable buy for overclocking? I want to try and hit 4.7 - 5.0 Ghz with an i7 4770k

Which one of these mobos from this list would you choose? http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=z87

(Getting most parts from there, that's why). I just really can't seem to figure out which mobo though. I can't even find reviews for most of them.

Ideally, budget is between 130-180 euros tops. (The cost of the rig is going to cripple me enough lol).

I was going to go with the Asus Z87-Plus or the Asus-Z87-A but I saw that they can only hit 4,5Ghz with autooverclock? Not really sure.

I'm itching to hit the check out button but need your opinion guys. Better safe than sorry, so help me out!

Thank you for your time smile.gif

-Rich

p.s.

This is the planned build

Corsair AX760i 760w

Intel i7 4770k

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 OC, Windforce 3X, 2048 MB DDR5

Motherboard : ??

Corsair Vengeance CL10 PC3-12800 RAM 16GB (1600MHz, 2x 8GB)

Corsair C70 Case

Corsair H100i Water cooling

Samsung 840 Series Basic SSD 240GB

Western Digital WD10EZEX Blue 1TB

Edited by RichiRichX - 6/3/13 at 9:50am
RichiRich
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
RichiRich
(12 items)
 
  
Reply

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 6
It's hard to give you the best suggestion as to which one of these motherboards will hit the overclock for your needs. There is more to it then just picking the best. CPU, memory, heat, PCB, VRM, and so on all play a factor. Not to mention if your CPU can hit that. My suggestion is to comb through each motherboard and see if it fits your bill.

You can also check out the plethora of reviews out there and see which motherboards that the reviewers used to hit what speed. Also remember that just because they were able to hit a target speed, doesn't mean yours will. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

It's hard to give you the best suggestion as to which one of these motherboards will hit the overclock for your needs. There is more to it then just picking the best. CPU, memory, heat, PCB, VRM, and so on all play a factor. Not to mention if your CPU can hit that. My suggestion is to comb through each motherboard and see if it fits your bill.

You can also check out the plethora of reviews out there and see which motherboards that the reviewers used to hit what speed. Also remember that just because they were able to hit a target speed, doesn't mean yours will. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Well like I mentioned, most of the motherboards in the link I provided don't have, or have hardly any reviews. And the ones that do, did not say much about overclocking :\

It seems only the expensive ones (180 euros and beyond) have a lot of reviews, but that's out of my price range.

I saw someone mention here on OCN that the Gigabyte Z87X-OC can hit 5,0Ghz easily with a 4770k, but again - that's out of my price range. The board is over 250 euros..
RichiRich
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
RichiRich
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
post #4 of 6
for about 200€ I would buy the Gigabyte Z87X-OC
I think its the best in that price range

and its not over 250€ it is actually around 190€
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/info/p856357/pid/

here is a review www.overclock.net/t/1396582/the-gigabyte-z87x-oc-review-with-4770k
post #5 of 6
Conventional overclocking is more about the chip you get, and less about the motherboard these days, as long as you dont go for a bottom of the barrel one. Imo, anything over ud3h is perfectly fine. Better pay attention to the features you need.

Plus nothing can guarantee 4770k ocing to 5.0ghz with acceptable temps.
...
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k + EK Supremacy Asus Maximus VI Hero Sapphire 290x + EK wb 16GB 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
EK CoolStream XTX 360 (x2) Dell U2311 (x2) CM Storm Trigger CM V1000 
CaseMouse
HAF Stacker Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
...
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k + EK Supremacy Asus Maximus VI Hero Sapphire 290x + EK wb 16GB 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
EK CoolStream XTX 360 (x2) Dell U2311 (x2) CM Storm Trigger CM V1000 
CaseMouse
HAF Stacker Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaki View Post

for about 200€ I would buy the Gigabyte Z87X-OC
I think its the best in that price range

and its not over 250€ it is actually around 190€
http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/info/p856357/pid/

here is a review www.overclock.net/t/1396582/the-gigabyte-z87x-oc-review-with-4770k

Sorry my bad then smile.gif

Yes, I suppose 180€ is reasonable. However I don't want to buy from mindfactory - I googled them. A ton of bad reviews, from shipping times to payment to RMA. Not worth the trouble I guess.

That review by Sin is very nice and detailed. If I understood correctly he managed 5Ghz on AIR ? That's crazy. So I guess that board + the Corsair h100i watercooler should be easy to accomplish?

A shame there aren't such reviews with the "lower-end" boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomalak View Post

Conventional overclocking is more about the chip you get, and less about the motherboard these days, as long as you dont go for a bottom of the barrel one. Imo, anything over ud3h is perfectly fine. Better pay attention to the features you need.

Plus nothing can guarantee 4770k ocing to 5.0ghz with acceptable temps.

Ok well the thing is I don't know what "features" to look for (!) That's the thing :\ I'm a bit naive when it comes to overclocking, that's why I prefer to ask here first.

I was the one who posted that thread about outrageous temps on Haswell.. lol

Even 4,7Ghz with a Corsair h100i was hitting 80+ degrees when under load.. it's crazy. I was just hoping that the retail chips would be somewhat better.
RichiRich
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
RichiRich
(12 items)
 
  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Reasonable Z87 Motherboard for Overclocking?