Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Corsair CX750M or Thermaltake Smart Series 750W?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corsair CX750M or Thermaltake Smart Series 750W?

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
I'm going to be taking back my Corsair CX600M to get something with a bit more wattage since I am also going to be adding more case fans in the next few days + an SSD pretty soon, not that they draw a lot of power.

I was looking at the following two because I bought the CX600M from Tiger Direct so I can only exchange for another PSU there, any thoughts? I am trying to stay under the $100 mark.

Crosair CX750M
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7564404&CatId=2533

Thermaltake Smart Series 750W
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2543335&CatId=5440
post #2 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

I'm going to be taking back my Corsair CX600M to get something with a bit more wattage since I am also going to be adding more case fans in the next few days + an SSD pretty soon, not that they draw a lot of power.

I was looking at the following two because I bought the CX600M from Tiger Direct so I can only exchange for another PSU there, any thoughts? I am trying to stay under the $100 mark.

Crosair CX750M
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7564404&CatId=2533

Thermaltake Smart Series 750W
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2543335&CatId=5440

Other then a noisy fan only one EPS connector and only three years warranty the Thermaltake Smart Series is the better option as its a little bit better made

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/thermaltake-smart-m-series-750w-psu-review/all/1/
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermaltake/Smart_M_750W/

Is there nothing else under 100$?
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Other then a noisy fan only one EPS connector and only three years warranty the Thermaltake Smart Series is the better option as its a little bit better made

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/thermaltake-smart-m-series-750w-psu-review/all/1/
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermaltake/Smart_M_750W/

Is there nothing else under 100$?

I looked in my local Tiger Direct area for modular PSU's under $100, these two mainly come up. I read the Kitguru review the other night.

What is with the EPC connector, is it bad there there is only one? Do we know how noisy the fan is? I don't think I'd be running this PSU under heavy load so would I be affected by a loud fan?
post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

I looked in my local Tiger Direct area for modular PSU's under $100, these two mainly come up. I read the Kitguru review the other night.

What is with the EPC connector, is it bad there there is only one? Do we know how noisy the fan is? I don't think I'd be running this PSU under heavy load so would I be affected by a loud fan?

The EPS cable is the 8 pin for the motherboard you need two if you want extreme overclocking

How noisy the fan is i dont know

Maybe you sould look at a non modular PSU?
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

The EPS cable is the 8 pin for the motherboard you need two if you want extreme overclocking

How noisy the fan is i dont know

Maybe you sould look at a non modular PSU?

I can't go with a non modular for the fact that this is a HTPC that I am using and I want to cut down on the cables. If I'm not doing any crazy OC, say if I were to OC my CPU and GPU just a tad can I get away with it or no by using the Thermaltake? Would I run into the same issue if I did go with that Corsair?
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

I can't go with a non modular for the fact that this is a HTPC that I am using and I want to cut down on the cables. If I'm not doing any crazy OC, say if I were to OC my CPU and GPU just a tad can I get away with it or no by using the Thermaltake? Would I run into the same issue if I did go with that Corsair?

You can use one EPS cable just fine

And the Corsair CX is not something you sould buy unless A you are broke and have no money for anything better or B you cant find anything else at all

I still think the Smart M is a tiny bit better despite it might have a loud fan
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 38
Both are CWT PUQ, but the Thermaltake version has a the ball bearing rather than sleeve bearing variant of the Yate Loon fan, and it has better-quality capacitors.

Tigerdirect pricing and selection is not that great usually; $80 - $10 rebate for the Thermaltake Smart M 750W is a pretty decent deal and about as good as it gets there. It's also gross overkill even if you add another 660 Ti.
post #8 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeaj View Post

Both are CWT PUQ, but the Thermaltake version has a the ball bearing rather than sleeve bearing variant of the Yate Loon fan, and it has better-quality capacitors.

Tigerdirect pricing and selection is not that great usually; $80 - $10 rebate for the Thermaltake Smart M 750W is a pretty decent deal and about as good as it gets there. It's also gross overkill even if you add another 660 Ti.

I returned the 660 Ti to in my rig builder that you see to Amazon and I am expecting the EVGA 770 ACX this Thursday. The issue is that there wasn't even decent modular PSU's at 600W at Tiger. I should of never of bought it there since you are stuck and should of just went with Microcenter or Frys.

Is the ball bearing preferred over the sleeve for PSU?
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie View Post

I returned the 660 Ti to in my rig builder that you see to Amazon and I am expecting the EVGA 770 ACX this Thursday. The issue is that there wasn't even decent modular PSU's at 600W at Tiger. I should of never of bought it there since you are stuck and should of just went with Microcenter or Frys.

Is the ball bearing preferred over the sleeve for PSU?

Even 500 watts is more then enough for one GTX 770
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD40EZRX  WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone XTD Laser Roccat Sense Metor 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD 598 Onkyo TX NR646  Harman Kardon HKTS 60 Dali Opticon Vokal 
AudioOtherOther
x2 Dali Opticon 2 CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Even 500 watts is more then enough for one GTX 770

Even though the recommendation is a 600W for a 770?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Corsair CX750M or Thermaltake Smart Series 750W?