Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Turbo boost doesn't make sense in some cases..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Turbo boost doesn't make sense in some cases..

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
For example, the 3570(K) is sold as a 3.4 ghz processor, but even if all 4 cores are at full load, "turbo boost" makes it go up to 3.6 ghz.

So in reality, isn't it a 3.6 ghz processor? Even at stock everything it runs at 3.6 ghz if you fully utilize the CPU, so why don't they market it as a 3.6 ghz chip?
post #2 of 6
Perhaps in a case with less efficient cooling, this would not happen.
VIP3R
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.35v EVGA P55 LE GTX 480 @ 850/2155 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 500GB F3s RAID0, 1x 7200.11 1.5TB, 1x 500GB Win7 64-bit 27'' Dell 2707WTP + 2x HP LP2465 IBM Model M mini 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ProXStream 1000w CM Storm Scout DeathAdder 3.5g Artisan Shiden-Kai mid 
AudioAudio
Xonar D2X Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 
  hide details  
Reply
VIP3R
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 @ 4.0GHz 1.35v EVGA P55 LE GTX 480 @ 850/2155 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 500GB F3s RAID0, 1x 7200.11 1.5TB, 1x 500GB Win7 64-bit 27'' Dell 2707WTP + 2x HP LP2465 IBM Model M mini 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ProXStream 1000w CM Storm Scout DeathAdder 3.5g Artisan Shiden-Kai mid 
AudioAudio
Xonar D2X Beyerdynamic DT880 '03 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoship View Post

For example, the 3570(K) is sold as a 3.4 ghz processor, but even if all 4 cores are at full load, "turbo boost" makes it go up to 3.6 ghz.

So in reality, isn't it a 3.6 ghz processor? Even at stock everything it runs at 3.6 ghz if you fully utilize the CPU, so why don't they market it as a 3.6 ghz chip?

originally, turbo boost only works if only 1 core is under full load, but mobo manufacturers somehow "modified" this function, so turbo boost now boosts all cores instead of just one.
post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

originally, turbo boost only works if only 1 core is under full load, but mobo manufacturers somehow "modified" this function, so turbo boost now boosts all cores instead of just one.

mobo has nothing to do with this.

turbo boost freqs are sent by intel:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei5/sb/cs-032278.htm
post #5 of 6
Turbo boost means that the CPU will overclock to its specified turbo frequency until it reaches it thermal limit which then cuts it back to the non-turbo speed. HOWEVER, some mobos set the default speed to the turbo speed. like my older asus z68 board.
Vaporizer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670K  Gryphon Z87 GTX 980 8GB 1600MHz CL11 Kingston  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz CL11 Samsung ST1000LM035 Intel 530 Series 120GB Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseOther
Dell U2515H Fractal Design Edison M 550W In Win 303 White NZXT Hue+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Vaporizer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670K  Gryphon Z87 GTX 980 8GB 1600MHz CL11 Kingston  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz CL11 Samsung ST1000LM035 Intel 530 Series 120GB Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseOther
Dell U2515H Fractal Design Edison M 550W In Win 303 White NZXT Hue+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomanator53 View Post

Turbo boost means that the CPU will overclock to its specified turbo frequency until it reaches it thermal limit which then cuts it back to the non-turbo speed. HOWEVER, some mobos set the default speed to the turbo speed. like my older asus z68 board.

What thermal limit? The 105C throttling thermal limit?

Stock CPUs even with the garbage stock cooler at an ambient of 100 degrees (F) wouldn't even hit that limit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Turbo boost doesn't make sense in some cases..