Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Z87X-UD3/4/5/7 & All Other GBT Z87 Including TH Club/Discussion/Issue Report Club.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Z87X-UD3/4/5/7 & All Other GBT Z87 Including TH Club/Discussion/Issue Report Club. - Page 15

Poll Results: Which model do you own?

 
  • 3% (14)
    Z87X-UD7 TH
  • 0% (3)
    Z87X-UD5 TH
  • 13% (50)
    Z87X-UD5H
  • 27% (99)
    Z87X-UD4H
  • 25% (91)
    Z87X-UD3H
  • 6% (25)
    Z87X-D3H
  • 1% (4)
    Z87-D3HP/HD3
  • 2% (10)
    Z87M/MX-HD3/D3H
  • 5% (20)
    Sniper Series
  • 13% (48)
    OC Series
364 Total Votes  
post #141 of 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleGTS View Post

Weird question but..

Anyone overclocking on Windows 8? My computer keeps going to sleep during my stress testing. It's really frickin annoying...

Just go in power options and select never put computer to sleep? That's the only thing I can think of, Win 7 has the same setting.
Ama-no-Iwato
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4770k MSI Z87 MPower Max EVGA GTX 770 2GB ACX Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Master Ltd. Ed. D... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD Samsung BD-ROM/DVD-RW Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro Dell S2340M Logitech G710+ Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom 820 Razer DeathAdder 2013 Edition Razer Manticor AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition 
Audio
Fostex HP-A8 
  hide details  
Reply
Ama-no-Iwato
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4770k MSI Z87 MPower Max EVGA GTX 770 2GB ACX Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Master Ltd. Ed. D... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD Samsung BD-ROM/DVD-RW Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro Dell S2340M Logitech G710+ Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom 820 Razer DeathAdder 2013 Edition Razer Manticor AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition 
Audio
Fostex HP-A8 
  hide details  
Reply

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #142 of 1852
Sin have you had experience with other Z87 boards that aren't from Gigabyte? This small detail in Techreport's Z87x-UD3H review has me a bit worried. Have you noticed anything like this?

"When turning up the clock manually, we ended up at 4.5GHz, which required 1.25V to maintain stability under load. Booting the board at 4.6GHz wasn't a problem, but it took 1.35V to keep BSODs at bay. While we were able to get that speed stable under load, CPU temperatures spiked over 90°C and invoked throttling. Backing off on the voltage allowed the CPU to maintain 4.6GHz for a few minutes, though our load test soon brought about a dreaded blue screen.

On the Asus Z87-PRO, we took the very same CPU up to 4.7GHz using identical hardware. The CPU was running on 1.35V in that config, but temperatures stayed under 90°C. Throttling wasn't a problem."
post #143 of 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

Sin have you had experience with other Z87 boards that aren't from Gigabyte? This small detail in Techreport's Z87x-UD3H review has me a bit worried. Have you noticed anything like this?

"When turning up the clock manually, we ended up at 4.5GHz, which required 1.25V to maintain stability under load. Booting the board at 4.6GHz wasn't a problem, but it took 1.35V to keep BSODs at bay. While we were able to get that speed stable under load, CPU temperatures spiked over 90°C and invoked throttling. Backing off on the voltage allowed the CPU to maintain 4.6GHz for a few minutes, though our load test soon brought about a dreaded blue screen.

On the Asus Z87-PRO, we took the very same CPU up to 4.7GHz using identical hardware. The CPU was running on 1.35V in that config, but temperatures stayed under 90°C. Throttling wasn't a problem."

Asus Pro more expensive. Should compare it to the Z87X-OC instead.
post #144 of 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPro View Post

Just go in power options and select never put computer to sleep? That's the only thing I can think of, Win 7 has the same setting.

Lol... I did that, that's why I'm worried.

Also, isn't Prime 95 running enough to keep the computer awake?
post #145 of 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleGTS View Post

Lol... I did that, that's why I'm worried.

Also, isn't Prime 95 running enough to keep the computer awake?

That's odd then, my rig would stay idle for the whole night downloading stuff and in the morning it's still where I left off, only the monitor turns off. Make sure your power plan is balanced instead of power saver.
Ama-no-Iwato
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4770k MSI Z87 MPower Max EVGA GTX 770 2GB ACX Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Master Ltd. Ed. D... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD Samsung BD-ROM/DVD-RW Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro Dell S2340M Logitech G710+ Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom 820 Razer DeathAdder 2013 Edition Razer Manticor AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition 
Audio
Fostex HP-A8 
  hide details  
Reply
Ama-no-Iwato
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4770k MSI Z87 MPower Max EVGA GTX 770 2GB ACX Patriot Viper 3 Intel Extreme Master Ltd. Ed. D... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD Samsung BD-ROM/DVD-RW Noctua NH-U12S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro Dell S2340M Logitech G710+ Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Phantom 820 Razer DeathAdder 2013 Edition Razer Manticor AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition 
Audio
Fostex HP-A8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #146 of 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPro View Post

That's odd then, my rig would stay idle for the whole night downloading stuff and in the morning it's still where I left off, only the monitor turns off. Make sure your power plan is balanced instead of power saver.
Not balanced! Have it on high performance!
Exposed Silence
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5-4670k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Samsung Low Voltage 30nm 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 EVO 500GB NH-D14 w/ 2x NF-A15 Prolimatech MK-26 w/ 2x NF-S12A 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate HP ZR24W Ducky Shine 2 DK9008S2 Rosewill SilentNight 
CaseAudioAudioAudio
Lian Li PC-T60B audio-gd NFB-7.32 Krell KAV-400xi HiFiMan HE-6 
  hide details  
Reply
Exposed Silence
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i5-4670k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Samsung Low Voltage 30nm 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Samsung 840 EVO 500GB NH-D14 w/ 2x NF-A15 Prolimatech MK-26 w/ 2x NF-S12A 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Ultimate HP ZR24W Ducky Shine 2 DK9008S2 Rosewill SilentNight 
CaseAudioAudioAudio
Lian Li PC-T60B audio-gd NFB-7.32 Krell KAV-400xi HiFiMan HE-6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #147 of 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

Sin have you had experience with other Z87 boards that aren't from Gigabyte? This small detail in Techreport's Z87x-UD3H review has me a bit worried. Have you noticed anything like this?

"When turning up the clock manually, we ended up at 4.5GHz, which required 1.25V to maintain stability under load. Booting the board at 4.6GHz wasn't a problem, but it took 1.35V to keep BSODs at bay. While we were able to get that speed stable under load, CPU temperatures spiked over 90°C and invoked throttling. Backing off on the voltage allowed the CPU to maintain 4.6GHz for a few minutes, though our load test soon brought about a dreaded blue screen.

On the Asus Z87-PRO, we took the very same CPU up to 4.7GHz using identical hardware. The CPU was running on 1.35V in that config, but temperatures stayed under 90°C. Throttling wasn't a problem."

 

Probably differences in the default board behavior for other settings (like VRIN or LLC) - things they didn't set manually. That is a pretty big difference though.
post #148 of 1852
Anyone with UD5H having problems getting sleep to work? Monitor turns off but board keeps going. Power is set to balanced.
Last go around with Z77 it was quite a few BIOS iterations before sleep would work well for me with the same basic hardware setup (except RAM), looks like the case this time as well.

My boot times aren't very good yet, either. after Windows starts initializing it will sit at the start window a while before fully booting. Saw this early behavior before with Z77 as well.

Running 3 SSD's / 3 HDD's and like Sin says I have to wonder how they are managing things this time with less voltage.

Hopefully everything will get straightened out after a bit and get past the early adoption blues. smile.gif
post #149 of 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrix View Post

My boot times aren't very good yet, either. after Windows starts initializing it will sit at the start window a while before fully booting. Saw this early behavior before with Z77 as well.

Mine does that with a HDD hooked up as well. With just the SSD it goes straight through. Some kind of initialization issue, I guess.
post #150 of 1852
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPro View Post

Yep I get noise without playing anything. Technically I can ask amazon for a replacement but it has been sold out ATM and won't come back until 16th this month and I don't want to be motherboard-less for a week. So I opted for a refund instead and got the MSI in for a comparison.

And I just discovered another issue with it - crashing with all four memory slots being used. If I plug either pair (they're the same) into any position (1-2 or 3-4 for DC) everything is fine but as soon as all 4 are plugged in I get 5 BSOD's per hour, strangely never when playing games but just when casually browsing the web. After a quick googling it seems that tweaking the voltages may fix it but I'm not going to bother with that, if I paid 400 bucks for a piece of hardware I'd expect it to at least work correctly out of the box.
I also think you did the right thing to RMA it, I think it was defective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit85 View Post

Thanks, I'm going to do that. Last thing I want is any instability in my system. I want to make sure i'm 100% rock sold before I start OCing. Also it would be a jump from CAS 9 to CAS 11. Just wanna make sure im not swapping to a slower ram

Can I bother you with one more question? I used the 4pin header at the top, I think it was listed system fan for my AiO cooler fans, the thing was it wasn't spinning them up with CPU temp. When the fans are plugged into the CPU header they spin up and down without issue. Is there a BIOS setting im missing?
RAM is different, IMO just do this, run AIDA64 memory benchmark for read and write and copy and then write down the numbers, if you swap the kit run it again and see if you gained or lost anything.
YOu can check which fan header that is, and then go in the UEFI and disable fan control for it, disabling fan control should give you full speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post

Sin have you had experience with other Z87 boards that aren't from Gigabyte? This small detail in Techreport's Z87x-UD3H review has me a bit worried. Have you noticed anything like this?

"When turning up the clock manually, we ended up at 4.5GHz, which required 1.25V to maintain stability under load. Booting the board at 4.6GHz wasn't a problem, but it took 1.35V to keep BSODs at bay. While we were able to get that speed stable under load, CPU temperatures spiked over 90°C and invoked throttling. Backing off on the voltage allowed the CPU to maintain 4.6GHz for a few minutes, though our load test soon brought about a dreaded blue screen.

On the Asus Z87-PRO, we took the very same CPU up to 4.7GHz using identical hardware. The CPU was running on 1.35V in that config, but temperatures stayed under 90°C. Throttling wasn't a problem."
I picked up a used maximus VI extreme from my friend, I always find tech report has issues overclocking with gigabyte motherboards. In what he wrote he worded it as if he had to use more voltage on the gigabyte, but in reality why would you need more voltage with the same CPU? There is something called the FIVR and it shouldn't require a different vcore board to board even if the boards have different VRMs. However microcode updates in the UEFIs seem to make big differences with required voltage, also it seems that each board maker reports things differently. If the CPU was throttling on board at certain setting and not on another at the same one, it would be wise to open a benchmark and see if they are the same, if they are then the other board is throttling but not reporting it, I have seen this on X79 with different manufacturers. However haswell only throttles for one thing really, that is temperature. Anyways I compared the UD3H and SNiper 5 and OC to the M6E I don't see differences in cpu overclocks or required voltages or any throttling for that matter.
I think perhaps he did the reviews or OC at different times with different microcodes in the UEFI. A different early BIOS can make pretty big difference in both scores and OC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrix View Post

Anyone with UD5H having problems getting sleep to work? Monitor turns off but board keeps going. Power is set to balanced.
Last go around with Z77 it was quite a few BIOS iterations before sleep would work well for me with the same basic hardware setup (except RAM), looks like the case this time as well.

My boot times aren't very good yet, either. after Windows starts initializing it will sit at the start window a while before fully booting. Saw this early behavior before with Z77 as well.

Running 3 SSD's / 3 HDD's and like Sin says I have to wonder how they are managing things this time with less voltage.

Hopefully everything will get straightened out after a bit and get past the early adoption blues. smile.gif

Hey there are a few fastboot options, one is even called ultra fast boot, have you tried it? Are you using windows 7 or 8? In windows 7 all my boards goto sleep and recover fine, I haven't tried 8 yet tho.
X99 Main Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme Edition @ 4.5GHz Always Changing VisonTek R9 290 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 @ 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 128GB M.2 PCI-E 4x SSD Apotop 256GB SSD 1.82TB NAS Noctua NH-D15 with both fans 
OSPower
Win7 Pro Enermax 1000W 
  hide details  
Reply
X99 Main Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme Edition @ 4.5GHz Always Changing VisonTek R9 290 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 @ 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 128GB M.2 PCI-E 4x SSD Apotop 256GB SSD 1.82TB NAS Noctua NH-D15 with both fans 
OSPower
Win7 Pro Enermax 1000W 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Z87X-UD3/4/5/7 & All Other GBT Z87 Including TH Club/Discussion/Issue Report Club.