Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [PCWORLD] AMD breaks from Windows exclusivity, adopts Android and Chrome OS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCWORLD] AMD breaks from Windows exclusivity, adopts Android and Chrome OS - Page 3

post #21 of 29
ATI/AMD Imageon was changed into Adreno once it was purchased from AMD. Adreno is now intergrated into Snapdragon. I have to wonder if AMD has any involvements with snapdragon?
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post

I would love to see apu tablets! Ive wanted a tablet for a long time but the current video power on affordable units is.. weak.


This tickles my fancy ^^

Agreed the garbage atom CPUs intel is putting in these Tablets made me postponed my purchase.

Bring on the temash!
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post

ATI/AMD Imageon was changed into Adreno once it was purchased from AMD. Adreno is now intergrated into Snapdragon. I have to wonder if AMD has any involvements with snapdragon?
Fun fact.... "Adreno" is an anagram of "Radeon".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post

Agreed the garbage atom CPUs intel is putting in these Tablets made me postponed my purchase.

Bring on the temash!
The Atoms in tablets are nearly performance equivalent to the ARM Cortex-A9 based CPUs.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Fun fact.... "Adreno" is an anagram of "Radeon".
The Atoms in tablets are nearly performance equivalent to the ARM Cortex-A9 based CPUs.

That is why I don't own any tablets with either.
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Killer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 8320 4.4ghz Gigabyte 990fx XFX R9 290 (1100/1250) 8GB DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
750GB Momentus XT Corsair H80i Windows 8 3x 23" 1080p 
KeyboardPower
Logitech Mk 710 OCZ 1000 watts 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post

That is why I don't own any tablets with either.


Same.. the performance is pathetic.... I don't know why everyone hails atoms or the a9.... Its just worthless to those of us that need more than facebook to work on a tablet.
 
4th time
(18 items)
 
3rd time
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ASrock x99 Fatal1ty professional Oubadah Titan X Corsair Vengeance DDR4 CAS 15 32GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD Corsair 110i GTX Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Acer 24 inch IPS 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Acer 24 inch IPS Acer 24 inch IPS Samsung 40 inch Corsair Strafe RGB MX cherry blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000i Corsair Air 540 Corsair M65 RGB  Razer Manticor  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASROCK Fatal1ty p67 EVGA GTX 980 SC 16380 MBMBDDR3-SDRAM (Gskill) 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung HD103SJ x 2 Samsung 850 EVO  Corsair H100i Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Samsung - LN40D550 - 40" LCD TV - 1080p ACER R240HY ACER R240HY ACER R240HY 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
razer black widow Corsair TX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 CM Storm Recon 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 MSI 870S-G54 2 x 6850 HIS IceQ-x 8 Gigabytes Gskill 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB zalman 90mm Windows Ultimate x64 LG 47'  
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 37' E370L  OCZ Modstream 700W Logisys CS888CL 
  hide details  
Reply
 
4th time
(18 items)
 
3rd time
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ASrock x99 Fatal1ty professional Oubadah Titan X Corsair Vengeance DDR4 CAS 15 32GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD Corsair 110i GTX Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Acer 24 inch IPS 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Acer 24 inch IPS Acer 24 inch IPS Samsung 40 inch Corsair Strafe RGB MX cherry blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX1000i Corsair Air 540 Corsair M65 RGB  Razer Manticor  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k ASROCK Fatal1ty p67 EVGA GTX 980 SC 16380 MBMBDDR3-SDRAM (Gskill) 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung HD103SJ x 2 Samsung 850 EVO  Corsair H100i Windows 10 Professional 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
Samsung - LN40D550 - 40" LCD TV - 1080p ACER R240HY ACER R240HY ACER R240HY 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
razer black widow Corsair TX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 CM Storm Recon 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955 MSI 870S-G54 2 x 6850 HIS IceQ-x 8 Gigabytes Gskill 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB zalman 90mm Windows Ultimate x64 LG 47'  
MonitorPowerCase
Vizio 37' E370L  OCZ Modstream 700W Logisys CS888CL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 29
What exactly do people expect to do on a tablet? Play crysis...3d render....encode movies? I mean most of what requires more power doesn't work well on a touch screen anyway.
XEON POWER
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1280 V2 Asus p8h77-i EVGA GTX 570  Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 cl9 16gb 2x8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung 830 Crucial C300 Samsung USB Blu-Ray 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Dell U2711 HP 2709m Razer Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Essentials ST60ES-F Bitfenix Prodigy Razer Naga Molten razer sphex 
Audio
onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
XEON POWER
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1280 V2 Asus p8h77-i EVGA GTX 570  Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 cl9 16gb 2x8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung 830 Crucial C300 Samsung USB Blu-Ray 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Dell U2711 HP 2709m Razer Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Essentials ST60ES-F Bitfenix Prodigy Razer Naga Molten razer sphex 
Audio
onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post

Same.. the performance is pathetic.... I don't know why everyone hails atoms or the a9.... Its just worthless to those of us that need more than facebook to work on a tablet.

...because they are perfectly powerful enough as media consumption devices.

The vast majority of people spend most of their free computer time consuming.... not creating or working.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

...because they are perfectly powerful enough as media consumption devices.

The vast majority of people spend most of their free computer time consuming.... not creating or working.

Yes, but the current atom arc and arm based processors arent so great for a tablet or mobile PC. Its essentially netbook performance in a tablet and everyone hated how sluggish netbooks were. I want a laptop experience on my tablet. I have 20+ tabs open in firefox, RSS reader set to update every 5 minutes, trade stocks in another program, watch live stream of news, all at once. Sure it would be awkward on a tablet due to real estate and touch only, but it all should run on a tablet, yet atom struggles and I have yet to try ARM based windows, but its probably worse due to being in alpha/beta.


Im not asking to play stunning 3d games, just for a general use system that works. I am extremely excited for AMD though, not because of this news, but their APUs should finally bring good performance/battery life to tablets, and they have a system they just announced that will allow wireless streaming on your in home network of games, with super low latency. So you could essentially have your desktop rig pump out a Maxed crysis to your hybrid laptop.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-x View Post

Yes, but the current atom arc and arm based processors arent so great for a tablet or mobile PC. Its essentially netbook performance in a tablet and everyone hated how sluggish netbooks were. I want a laptop experience on my tablet. I have 20+ tabs open in firefox, RSS reader set to update every 5 minutes, trade stocks in another program, watch live stream of news, all at once. Sure it would be awkward on a tablet due to real estate and touch only, but it all should run on a tablet, yet atom struggles and I have yet to try ARM based windows, but its probably worse due to being in alpha/beta.


Im not asking to play stunning 3d games, just for a general use system that works. I am extremely excited for AMD though, not because of this news, but their APUs should finally bring good performance/battery life to tablets, and they have a system they just announced that will allow wireless streaming on your in home network of games, with super low latency. So you could essentially have your desktop rig pump out a Maxed crysis to your hybrid laptop.

There's your problem... you expectations are too high.

Netbooks with a E-350 or newer Atom equivalent is actually not terrible.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [PCWORLD] AMD breaks from Windows exclusivity, adopts Android and Chrome OS