Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Offset not working, Haswell+ASUS board
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Offset not working, Haswell+ASUS board - Page 2

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exolaris View Post

I think you're focusing way too much on the VID thing. VID is only useful for offset overclocking insofar as it gives you a reference point for what offset voltage to use. Trial and error works just as well.

not really trying to figure out how you got an offset that high without knowing your VID. trial and error what makes CPU fry ... you start with lower voltage and go up with increments of 0.05 V-core... but looks like you like to guess cause 1.26 - 1.27 just doesnt makes sense. when you say its stable at the v-core... without knowing your VID and adjusting V-core offset who knows you might be running 1.5 or more hoping that your running CPUZ to monitor your V-core.

You might be stable at 1.26 but without testing 24 hours in prime you will never find out the exact V-core that your CPU will take. 1.26 might be stable at 12 hours but will not pass that. so you will need a slight bump to test another 12.24... some people prefer 12 some 24.

its hard to troubleshoot when your guessing on a v-core once you get that set then you can adjust on other settings C states, PLL, ect.

lets say your V-core is at 1.26 and VID is at 1.22 that equals to thats 0.04 round it up to +0.05.... keep in mind that is an plus offset

now lets say your VID is high at 1.281 and your V-core is at 1.26 thats -0.021 round it up to -0.020 or 0.025 keep in mind that is a negative offset.

NOW how the heck did you get an offset of +.154 ?

are you trying to say your VID is at 1.41 or up? thats pretty high for a VID, if so your offset should be - Negative not positive.
or your VID is at 1.11 and your V-core is at 1.26 that = to +0.15 even then thats too low for a VID.

now your wondering why your CPU is not throttling down on IDLE?

get my point. doesnt make sense.
Edited by grail05 - 6/6/13 at 10:28am
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grail05 View Post

not really trying to figure out how you got an offset that high without knowing your VID. trial and error what makes CPU fry ... you start with lower voltage and go up with increments of 0.05 V-core... but looks like you like to guess cause 1.26 - 1.27 just doesnt makes sense. when you say its stable at the v-core... without knowing your VID and adjusting V-core offset who knows you might be running 1.5 or more hoping that your running CPUZ to monitor your V-core.

You might be stable at 1.26 but without testing 24 hours in prime you will never find out the exact V-core that your CPU will take. 1.26 might be stable at 12 hours but will not pass that. so you will need a slight bump to test another 12.24... some people prefer 12 some 24.

its hard to troubleshoot when your guessing on a v-core once you get that set then you can adjust on other settings C states, PLL, ect.

lets say your V-core is at 1.26 and VID is at 1.22 that equals to thats 0.04 round it up to +0.05.... keep in mind that is an plus offset

now lets say your VID is high at 1.281 and your V-core is at 1.26 thats -0.021 round it up to -0.020 or 0.025 keep in mind that is a negative offset.

NOW how the heck did you get an offset of +.154 ?

are you trying to say your VID is at 1.41 or up? thats pretty high for a VID, if so your offset should be - Negative not positive.
or your VID is at 1.11 and your V-core is at 1.26 that = to +0.15 even then thats too low for a VID.

now your wondering why your CPU is not throttling down on IDLE?

get my point. doesnt make sense.

No I'm not saying my VID is 1.41 or up, I have zero clue how you came to that conclusion. I'm saying my VID is either 1.27 or 1.116, which gives me a vcore of 1.42 or 1.27 respectively, both of which are within the functional voltage range for haswell, so no, trial and error will not make my chip fry.

"without knowing your VID and adjusting V-core offset who knows you might be running 1.5 or more" Uhhhh, no.... there is such a thing as hardware monitors to show current voltage. And yes, I'm wondering why my CPU is not throttling down on idle, considering that that issue is COMPLETELY unrelated to anything to do with my offset value or my VID. I have no idea how you say I'm "guessing" on a vcore. You do realize that cpu-z shows your vcore, yes?
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exolaris View Post

No I'm not saying my VID is 1.41 or up, I have zero clue how you came to that conclusion. I'm saying my VID is either 1.27 or 1.116, which gives me a vcore of 1.42 or 1.27 respectively, both of which are within the functional voltage range for haswell, so no, trial and error will not make my chip fry.

"without knowing your VID and adjusting V-core offset who knows you might be running 1.5 or more" Uhhhh, no.... there is such a thing as hardware monitors to show current voltage. And yes, I'm wondering why my CPU is not throttling down on idle, considering that that issue is COMPLETELY unrelated to anything to do with my offset value or my VID. I have no idea how you say I'm "guessing" on a vcore. You do realize that cpu-z shows your vcore, yes?

i came to a conclusion due to your offset. its pretty easy to calculate your VID could be 1.41 - 1.26 V-core which equal to +0.154? or 1.11 VID - 1.26 Vcore guess what that equals to ? which is what you stated on your post........ you see its an easy math solution .... your guessing that your VID is 1.27 or 1.116? that doesnt even add up to your offset. see where im getting at your doing it all wrong. im trying to help you not argue... but looks like you want to do what you want finding the correct V-core to run 4.5ghz is not by guessing trial and error ? no bro not when it comes to overclocking. all the numbers means something to get your system to run stable. you can play with it a little bit but to run it at any speed it requires a specific voltage. making sure V-core is not over voltage or under voltage.
Edited by grail05 - 6/6/13 at 3:01pm
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Turns out knuck3ls was right about the windows power settings! So my machine now throttles clock speed on idle, but I'm running into a new issue. Turns out my VID for 4.5GHz is 1.267 volts. I'm stable on manual voltage at 1.28V. However, if I set my offset voltage to +.02 (which you'd think would give my 1.287 at load), my computer doesn't even hit the login screen before it bluescreens. In fact, it takes about +.08 to even hit login, and over .1V to actually get to my desktop. This seems very strange to me. I've toyed around with LLC, but I just can't figure out why it's asking for so much more voltage in offset mode.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exolaris View Post

Turns out knuck3ls was right about the windows power settings! So my machine now throttles clock speed on idle, but I'm running into a new issue. Turns out my VID for 4.5GHz is 1.267 volts. I'm stable on manual voltage at 1.28V. However, if I set my offset voltage to +.02 (which you'd think would give my 1.287 at load), my computer doesn't even hit the login screen before it bluescreens. In fact, it takes about +.08 to even hit login, and over .1V to actually get to my desktop. This seems very strange to me. I've toyed around with LLC, but I just can't figure out why it's asking for so much more voltage in offset mode.


It doesn't look like the voltages are being read correctly yet for Haswell chips.  Realtemp and CPU-Z seem to show the same voltage all the time (whatever is set in the BIOS) so using offset right now might be problematic.  I'd stick with manual voltage until all the software is up to date.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Offset not working, Haswell+ASUS board