Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Rare single loop configuration and high CPU temps?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rare single loop configuration and high CPU temps? - Page 3

post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

Noob watercooler here, why would you go from a rad straight to a res? Wouldn't the water/coolant sit and lose all that coldness it just got from the rad. In this case, what I would have done is go, (pump/res-> 240 Rad-> CPU-> 360Rad-> GPU -> Res) Granted I'm a noob so what do I know lol.

PS: Be sure to add your rig to your sig! (Check my sig for a howto)

Does not make sense. The water in any part of your loop will always be above ambient. So using this logic, water sitting in the res would actually be beneficial, allowing the water to cool down further closer to ambient temperature.

Not that it really makes a difference though, water temperature is pretty much consistent throughout the loop. smile.gif
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Noob watercooler here, why would you go from a rad straight to a res? Wouldn't the water/coolant sit and lose all that coldness it just got from the rad. In this case, what I would have done is go, (pump/res-> 240 Rad-> CPU-> 360Rad-> GPU -> Res) Granted I'm a noob so what do I know lol.

Most reservoirs are made from insulated materials. That means no noticeable heat in or out. For the few metal reservoirs, you would actually add a tiny bit of cooling if the res were mounted to your case as it would act as a heat sink.
post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 
@threephi
Yes, those temps are with my old configuration.
For temperature monitoring, I use HWinfo64 for both the CPU and the GPU's.
I mainly PBRT and Embree ray tracers as benchmark tools for the CPU. For the GPU benchmark I use Cuda NBody and Octane Ray Tracer. I've also used prim95 and Furmark here and there but it makes more sense to use the software that I use daily smile.gif

@ADHD
The location of the rads and the configuration of the case was the main reason behind it. Plus, the temp increase of the water in the res due to ambient temp inside the case and the pumps should be very negligible. Lastly, I will update my signature as soon as the build is completed with the new configuration. biggrin.gif
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi View Post

@threephi
Yes, those temps are with my old configuration.
For temperature monitoring, I use HWinfo64 for both the CPU and the GPU's.
I mainly PBRT and Embree ray tracers as benchmark tools for the CPU. For the GPU benchmark I use Cuda NBody and Octane Ray Tracer. I've also used prim95 and Furmark here and there but it makes more sense to use the software that I use daily smile.gif

Ahhh ok those numbers are from real-world usage then? That could explain why those temps look so low. It's a completely valid metric, but most people here assume reported high temps are the equilibrium point from "artificial" torture tests like Prime95 and FurMark.
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

Noob watercooler here, why would you go from a rad straight to a res? Wouldn't the water/coolant sit and lose all that coldness it just got from the rad. In this case, what I would have done is go, (pump/res-> 240 Rad-> CPU-> 360Rad-> GPU -> Res) Granted I'm a noob so what do I know lol.

PS: Be sure to add your rig to your sig! (Check my sig for a howto)

Gonna add to the dogpile one more small point regarding the part I bolded biggrin.gif

The water doesn't just sit in a res, it is constantly circulating through just like the rest of the loop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikczt View Post

Does not make sense. The water in any part of your loop will always be above ambient. So using this logic, water sitting in the res would actually be beneficial, allowing the water to cool down further closer to ambient temperature. 

Not that it really makes a difference though, water temperature is pretty much consistent throughout the loop. smile.gif

kiwiczt is correct, standard watercooling cannot bring your loop below ambient. But any passive cooling that occurs in the reservoir is minuscule. The benefit of a radiator, besides helping make sure the pump doesn't run dry and adding a buffer for coolant volume lost over time through evaporation, is that by adding coolant volume you are increasing the heat capacity of the system. More heat capacity means lower overall coolant temp and lower equilibrium point.
Edited by threephi - 6/7/13 at 1:13pm
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
Good point!
I know that the GPU under Furmark never went above 39C, but I'm not sure about the CPU.
I will run both sets of benchmarks tonight to get a better bounds for the temps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Rare single loop configuration and high CPU temps?