Overclock.net › Forums › Distributed Computing › Distributed Computing - General › [Official] BitCoin LiteCoin DigitalCoin and all Crypto Currencies Club And General Information Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] BitCoin LiteCoin DigitalCoin and all Crypto Currencies Club And General Information Thread - Page 2209

post #22081 of 22535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicin View Post

We are at the start. I would expect the top 10 coins to to reach well into the tens of billions within a decade.

And as the market cap grows the more ASICs will dominate more algos. People will be more willing to get in early and take a bet on an ASIC miner for this or that algo.

If you're willing to buy BTC at 3k. . . I see no reason you wouldn't be willing at 15k if you perceived that as it's bottom.

edit - i see what you're saying. But it's just a matter of time, ASICs will dominate all mining on major algos sooner or later. You're never going to match it with all purpose consumer hardware.

I am not disagreeing with that, the costs of an asic with a ton of vram currently would be cost prohibitive. Sure you can overcome that with a high enough value. This is why the algo is resistant rather than proof.

That said, which has a higher hashrate in equihash 1 Titan X Pascal or two GTX 1070s? The 1070s despite the same amount of vram across them.
RZA
(29 items)
 
GZA
(28 items)
 
Ol' Dirty Bastard
(32 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
RZA
(29 items)
 
GZA
(28 items)
 
Ol' Dirty Bastard
(32 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22082 of 22535
I don't see how consumer gpu comparisons matter. . . . ?
post #22083 of 22535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicin View Post

I don't see how consumer gpu comparisons matter. . . . ?

Diminishing returns on a single miner. To get the benefits of an asic on equihash you will need a ton of vram. While the IC is specific, the vram the algo uses is not.
RZA
(29 items)
 
GZA
(28 items)
 
Ol' Dirty Bastard
(32 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
RZA
(29 items)
 
GZA
(28 items)
 
Ol' Dirty Bastard
(32 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22084 of 22535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus NM View Post

Diminishing returns on a single miner. To get the benefits of an asic on equihash you will need a ton of vram. While the IC is specific, the vram the algo uses is not.

That's only true on consumer GPUs

That doesn't make it true for the BC Gold algo with appropriately designed ASIC

One will be designed for one purpose

One is general use.

As teh name implies, the ASIC will always do better

Just need a reason to make one
post #22085 of 22535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicin View Post

That's only true on consumer GPUs

That doesn't make it true for the BC Gold algo with appropriately designed ASIC

One will be designed for one purpose

One is general use.

As teh name implies, the ASIC will always do better

Just need a reason to make one

Application specific memory that runs faster than GDDR5 or GDDR5X?

I get it that you can optimize the IC for the specific application. Due to the limitations of the memory intensive app and the amount of VRAM required to go KH/s to MH/s the value of the coin would have to really increase to offset the decreasing growth model (diminishing returns) for adding VRAM.
RZA
(29 items)
 
GZA
(28 items)
 
Ol' Dirty Bastard
(32 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
RZA
(29 items)
 
GZA
(28 items)
 
Ol' Dirty Bastard
(32 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22086 of 22535
Looks like Bitfinex is shutting down for US customers on like Nov 11 or so.
Before the deadline, be sure to transfer out any coin to another exchange or wallet.

I didn't do much there, but now I need to find another exchange to sign up for and get verified with in case I want to do more... any suggestions that offer a decent variety of coins in one place and are easy-ish to get verified?
Snowy Behemoth
(24 items)
 
Media-End-Table
(13 items)
 
PC4POPS
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core-i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz @ 1.24v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD OCZ ARC 100 240GB SSD WD Black 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Sata 6Gb WD Green 3TB 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
LG Blu-Ray Burner Asus DVD Burner Corsair H100 Windows 7 Professional 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 HP 23" 1920x1080 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 OCZ Fatal1ty 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition Microsoft Sidewinder Razer eXactMat SteelSeries Siberia V2 Headset 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Onkyo TX NR727 Receiver KEF KHT5001 5 Speaker System + 2 JBL Loft 40s KEF Q400b Subwoofer CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD UPS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G3258 Asus Gryphon Z87 With Armor XFX R7 250X 8GB HyperX Fury White  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD VelociRaptor 150GB 10000RPM ASUS DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper T4 Windows 10 Professional (Insider Build) 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
HP W2007 Corsair CS450M Custom Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 
Other
TP-LINK Archer T9e AC1900 Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
Snowy Behemoth
(24 items)
 
Media-End-Table
(13 items)
 
PC4POPS
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core-i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz @ 1.24v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD OCZ ARC 100 240GB SSD WD Black 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Sata 6Gb WD Green 3TB 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
LG Blu-Ray Burner Asus DVD Burner Corsair H100 Windows 7 Professional 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 HP 23" 1920x1080 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 OCZ Fatal1ty 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition Microsoft Sidewinder Razer eXactMat SteelSeries Siberia V2 Headset 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Onkyo TX NR727 Receiver KEF KHT5001 5 Speaker System + 2 JBL Loft 40s KEF Q400b Subwoofer CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD UPS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G3258 Asus Gryphon Z87 With Armor XFX R7 250X 8GB HyperX Fury White  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD VelociRaptor 150GB 10000RPM ASUS DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper T4 Windows 10 Professional (Insider Build) 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
HP W2007 Corsair CS450M Custom Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 
Other
TP-LINK Archer T9e AC1900 Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22087 of 22535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus NM View Post

Application specific memory that runs faster than GDDR5 or GDDR5X?

I get it that you can optimize the IC for the specific application. Due to the limitations of the memory intensive app and the amount of VRAM required to go KH/s to MH/s the value of the coin would have to really increase to offset the decreasing growth model (diminishing returns) for adding VRAM.

If it's valuable enough, some one will do it

Whether it will be AMD, Intel, ANTminer (or whatever they call themselves), or some one else. THey'll want the hash and they'll be able to control it without competitors making ASICs

Just a question of when the math works out. . . . . .Doesn't matter waht algo
post #22088 of 22535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtbahgs View Post

Looks like Bitfinex is shutting down for US customers on like Nov 11 or so.
Before the deadline, be sure to transfer out any coin to another exchange or wallet.

I didn't do much there, but now I need to find another exchange to sign up for and get verified with in case I want to do more... any suggestions that offer a decent variety of coins in one place and are easy-ish to get verified?

The other big fiat exchanges are kraken and GDAX/coinbase int he west

Bittrex is pretty much everyone's favorite alt coin market if you can read english tho.

edit - also much lower requirements for verification on bittrex because no fiat
post #22089 of 22535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicin View Post

The other big fiat exchanges are kraken and GDAX/coinbase int he west

Bittrex is pretty much everyone's favorite alt coin market if you can read english tho.

edit - also much lower requirements for verification on bittrex because no fiat
Bittrex doesn't allow fiat at all or just can't transfer it in/out?
I'm fine moving coins over to the exchange and then trading around with them and later move them off to convert back to fiat, but I'd prefer that once my coins move there, I can still sell for USD and buy something else with the USD as it easier to wrap my head around than to convert say ETH directly to XMR.
Snowy Behemoth
(24 items)
 
Media-End-Table
(13 items)
 
PC4POPS
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core-i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz @ 1.24v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD OCZ ARC 100 240GB SSD WD Black 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Sata 6Gb WD Green 3TB 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
LG Blu-Ray Burner Asus DVD Burner Corsair H100 Windows 7 Professional 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 HP 23" 1920x1080 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 OCZ Fatal1ty 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition Microsoft Sidewinder Razer eXactMat SteelSeries Siberia V2 Headset 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Onkyo TX NR727 Receiver KEF KHT5001 5 Speaker System + 2 JBL Loft 40s KEF Q400b Subwoofer CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD UPS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G3258 Asus Gryphon Z87 With Armor XFX R7 250X 8GB HyperX Fury White  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD VelociRaptor 150GB 10000RPM ASUS DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper T4 Windows 10 Professional (Insider Build) 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
HP W2007 Corsair CS450M Custom Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 
Other
TP-LINK Archer T9e AC1900 Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
Snowy Behemoth
(24 items)
 
Media-End-Table
(13 items)
 
PC4POPS
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core-i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz @ 1.24v Asus Sabertooth Z77 Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD OCZ ARC 100 240GB SSD WD Black 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Sata 6Gb WD Green 3TB 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
LG Blu-Ray Burner Asus DVD Burner Corsair H100 Windows 7 Professional 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 HP 23" 1920x1080 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 OCZ Fatal1ty 1000W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition Microsoft Sidewinder Razer eXactMat SteelSeries Siberia V2 Headset 
AudioAudioAudioOther
Onkyo TX NR727 Receiver KEF KHT5001 5 Speaker System + 2 JBL Loft 40s KEF Q400b Subwoofer CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD UPS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G3258 Asus Gryphon Z87 With Armor XFX R7 250X 8GB HyperX Fury White  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD VelociRaptor 150GB 10000RPM ASUS DVD Burner Cooler Master Hyper T4 Windows 10 Professional (Insider Build) 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
HP W2007 Corsair CS450M Custom Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 
Other
TP-LINK Archer T9e AC1900 Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22090 of 22535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtbahgs View Post

Bittrex doesn't allow fiat at all or just can't transfer it in/out?
I'm fine moving coins over to the exchange and then trading around with them and later move them off to convert back to fiat, but I'd prefer that once my coins move there, I can still sell for USD and buy something else with the USD as it easier to wrap my head around than to convert say ETH directly to XMR.

They use USDT for the major coins. Pretty much everything on BFX should be on Bittrex, just with USDT instead of fiat*. Also has BTC and ETH markets where most of the alt coins are.

But yes if you wanted out completely you'd have to go to another exchange or obviously cash out outside the banking system.

Fiat exchanges are very limited. And all those coins are tied to USD as well as BTC so they're less volatile too. Which means less possible profit

If you want to get into anything but the top market cap coins. You have to leave fiat exchanges.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Distributed Computing - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Distributed Computing › Distributed Computing - General › [Official] BitCoin LiteCoin DigitalCoin and all Crypto Currencies Club And General Information Thread