Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Which of these z87 mobos?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which of these z87 mobos? - Page 2

post #11 of 38
Gigabyte because of their endless pit of support.

MSI Mpower, because from what I understand, the boards are hand tested with Overclocked processors to ensure the board is capable and functional.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

I heard that ASRock actually put in decent MOSFETs this time for the Z87 Extreme4 (LF-PAK insted of D-PAK on its Z77 predecessor), is that correct?
The asrock z77 extreme6 comes with Powerpak MOSFETs. The only board asrock messed up on was the Extreme4. Not sure on the z87 MOSFETs yet.
post #13 of 38
Thread Starter 
I´m not to sure about Asrock, to be me they are still a budget company. And the sniper is a bit above my budget, but it does look nice.
Edited by Beatwolf - 6/7/13 at 1:49am
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdblyss View Post

The asrock z77 extreme6 comes with Powerpak MOSFETs. The only board asrock messed up on was the Extreme4. Not sure on the z87 MOSFETs yet.

I believe sin said the extreme 4 got some really upgraded mosfets for z87
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

I believe sin said the extreme 4 got some really upgraded mosfets for z87

I believe that I read somewhere that the Z87 Extreme4 has LF-PAK MOSFETS.

EDIT: Yeah, Sin0822 said it. To wit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post

With Z87 ASRock has given the Extreme4 the LF-PAK which should have been on Z77

Edited by svenge - 6/7/13 at 1:20pm
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
Julia
(11 items)
 
Centurion (Dead)
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra EVGA GeForce 6800 GS (256-P2-N389-AX) CORSAIR VS1GB400C3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS NEC ND-3520A Windows XP Dell M780 
PowerCaseOther
FSP Group SAGA+ 450R Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/ Window (CAC-T05-WW) Samsung Floppy Drive (SFD321B/LBL1) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 38
yea it should have LF-PAK on the Extreme4, which is honestly what everyone else uses at least. They are also using a new Intersil analog PWM, had a chat with the asrock marketing director, he told me they like to think of it as a hybrid, and I asked why not advertise it as such haha. Anyways it shouldn't matter too much. I should have tape recorded him saying that, oh well.

IMO Id get the OC board out of those options. If you are at a microcenter they supposedly have extremely good bundle deals with GD65 and UD4H, supposedly $144 or something when you buy the CPU..
X99 Main Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme Edition @ 4.5GHz Always Changing VisonTek R9 290 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 @ 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 128GB M.2 PCI-E 4x SSD Apotop 256GB SSD 1.82TB NAS Noctua NH-D15 with both fans 
OSPower
Win7 Pro Enermax 1000W 
  hide details  
Reply
X99 Main Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme Edition @ 4.5GHz Always Changing VisonTek R9 290 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 @ 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 128GB M.2 PCI-E 4x SSD Apotop 256GB SSD 1.82TB NAS Noctua NH-D15 with both fans 
OSPower
Win7 Pro Enermax 1000W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post

yea it should have LF-PAK on the Extreme4, which is honestly what everyone else uses at least. They are also using a new Intersil analog PWM, had a chat with the asrock marketing director, he told me they like to think of it as a hybrid, and I asked why not advertise it as such haha. Anyways it shouldn't matter too much. I should have tape recorded him saying that, oh well.

IMO Id get the OC board out of those options. If you are at a microcenter they supposedly have extremely good bundle deals with GD65 and UD4H, supposedly $144 or something when you buy the CPU..

I bought an extreme 6 today. Will have some testing with it tonight
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 38
Only reason I'd never go for the Extreme4 is the brown PCB. That's a deal killer. And Gigabyte/MSI are offering better features/overclockability on their motherboards compared to other vendors this time around. Unless you are going Extreme6+ again, there really is no reason for ASRock compared to other vendors unless you absolutely adore brown PCBs (or have a military/desert themed computer). It always sticks out in terms of aesthetics compared to everything else in your case.
post #19 of 38
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-OC tongue.gif
(see cdn4.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/GA-Z87X-OC.jpg)
^ IR3553 , a bit less amperage (40A) instead of 60A with IR3550

Z87-EXPERT is $40 more and has this VRM here:

(http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/xcgal/thumbnails.php?album=2972&page=3)

Z87 Sabertooth is the same I think

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/xcgal/thumbnails.php?album=2968&page=5

Z87 Mpower seems to have 16 phase of unknown quality but this time around their fan control is greatly improved in BIOS
--> seems to hit 4Ghz autoclock... http://lanoc.org/review/motherboards/6506-msi-z87-mpower?start=9
--> 5Ghz http://www.overclex.net/articles/msi-z87-mpower/5/

Gigabyte has no comparison between Powerpak/LF-PAK (Low RDS(on) MOSFET) and PowIR stage IR3550, but they claim 30°C lower for 4 phase IR3550 vs 4 phase D-PAK
Edited by AlphaC - 6/7/13 at 7:20pm
Workstation stuff
(407 photos)
SpecViewperf 12.0.1
(151 photos)
 
Reply
Workstation stuff
(407 photos)
SpecViewperf 12.0.1
(151 photos)
 
Reply
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Only reason I'd never go for the Extreme4 is the brown PCB. That's a deal killer. And Gigabyte/MSI are offering better features/overclockability on their motherboards compared to other vendors this time around. Unless you are going Extreme6+ again, there really is no reason for ASRock compared to other vendors unless you absolutely adore brown PCBs (or have a military/desert themed computer). It always sticks out in terms of aesthetics compared to everything else in your case.

I care about performance not about how the inside of my case looks
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Which of these z87 mobos?