Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › MSI Z87 GD65 motherboard + mushkin Redline 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz RAM?? Support?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MSI Z87 GD65 motherboard + mushkin Redline 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz RAM?? Support?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
Hi guys, I wanted to purchase this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130692


Upon looking at the supported RAM, I don't see the Mushkin Redline 1866 RAm listed anywhere on the list, and that's the current RAM I have:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-GD65-GAMING.html

Should I be worried or get a different board?

I really don't want to drive to purchase the motherboard and I7 4770K and boot up to realize my RAM will NOT work....

...what should I do?

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 5
QVL doesn't matter 99% of the time. You will be fine to use that kit of memory in conjunction with the board. Since the memory controller is integrated into the CPU now the motherboard rarely makes a difference. Any decent board that provides proper voltage and can set timings or load XMP profiles (which they all pretty much can) will work fine.
Beast
(14 items)
 
Dell XPS Faptop
(8 items)
 
Alura :)
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Asus Z97 Pro WIFI-AC Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X OC+  G.Skill 4 x 8GB F3-2133C9D-16GXH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD in RAID 0 Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Noctua NH-D15 Winblows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Pixio PX277 Logitech G510 Seasonic SS-660XP2 Fractal Design R4 Blackout 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Xtrac Ripper 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.5ghz Dell 0N6705 Mobile Intel 965 Express 2 x 2GB Hyundai/Kingston DDR2 533mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Summit 60GB SSD Slot Load DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 13.3 inch 1280x800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asus P8Z68-V Pro MSI R7970 Lightning BE 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB and WD Black 1TB Asus DRW-24B1ST Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Hannspree 24 inch Thermaltake Tough Power TP-750P 750W Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Beast
(14 items)
 
Dell XPS Faptop
(8 items)
 
Alura :)
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Asus Z97 Pro WIFI-AC Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X OC+  G.Skill 4 x 8GB F3-2133C9D-16GXH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD in RAID 0 Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Noctua NH-D15 Winblows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Pixio PX277 Logitech G510 Seasonic SS-660XP2 Fractal Design R4 Blackout 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Xtrac Ripper 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.5ghz Dell 0N6705 Mobile Intel 965 Express 2 x 2GB Hyundai/Kingston DDR2 533mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Summit 60GB SSD Slot Load DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 13.3 inch 1280x800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asus P8Z68-V Pro MSI R7970 Lightning BE 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB and WD Black 1TB Asus DRW-24B1ST Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Hannspree 24 inch Thermaltake Tough Power TP-750P 750W Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamin3 View Post

QVL doesn't matter 99% of the time. You will be fine to use that kit of memory in conjunction with the board. Since the memory controller is integrated into the CPU now the motherboard rarely makes a difference. Any decent board that provides proper voltage and can set timings or load XMP profiles (which they all pretty much can) will work fine.

Yeah, I 'm even using the XMP profile for my Mushkin Redline RAM at 1866Mhz on my ASrock extreme7 gen3 z68 mobo with my i7 2600k, and I know the z87board has this feature aswell.

so because it supports XMP profiles and such, I don't have worry?

I don't even know exactly what XMP profiles are; other than I noticed it just sets my RAM to default settings.

Could you explain some of what you wrote?
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxAlbertoxX View Post

Yeah, I 'm even using the XMP profile for my Mushkin Redline RAM at 1866Mhz on my ASrock extreme7 gen3 z68 mobo with my i7 2600k, and I know the z87board has this feature aswell.

so because it supports XMP profiles and such, I don't have worry?

I don't even know exactly what XMP profiles are; other than I noticed it just sets my RAM to default settings.

Could you explain some of what you wrote?

QVL is the quality vendor list- like on the site they advertise what RAM specifically works with the specific board. That doesn't matter almost always. XMP is eXtreme Memory Profile and just sets the memory to what the kit is rated for, meaning you don't have to fiddle with manually setting the timings/frequency/voltage yourself. The memory controller is, frankly what controls the memory. Going way back it had to do with the chipset, but AMD started with Athlon 64 (socket 939 or maybe 754?) and Intel with Nehalem (socket 775 and earlier relied on the chipset). Since the CPU pretty much handles the memory, that kit will work. Haswell has a really strong memory controller and people are running 2400mhz+ with ease. As long as the motherboard is half decent (which that board is awesome) then it's going to do it's job and just supply voltage the memory. Then the memory will be running happily and with stability along with the CPU. Point is a 4770k in pretty much every board out there is going to work with that kit you have, unless you buy the cheapest ECS board or something and it doesn't allow you to change the frequency past 1600mhz or something but even that's slightly unlikely.
Beast
(14 items)
 
Dell XPS Faptop
(8 items)
 
Alura :)
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Asus Z97 Pro WIFI-AC Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X OC+  G.Skill 4 x 8GB F3-2133C9D-16GXH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD in RAID 0 Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Noctua NH-D15 Winblows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Pixio PX277 Logitech G510 Seasonic SS-660XP2 Fractal Design R4 Blackout 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Xtrac Ripper 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.5ghz Dell 0N6705 Mobile Intel 965 Express 2 x 2GB Hyundai/Kingston DDR2 533mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Summit 60GB SSD Slot Load DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 13.3 inch 1280x800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asus P8Z68-V Pro MSI R7970 Lightning BE 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB and WD Black 1TB Asus DRW-24B1ST Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Hannspree 24 inch Thermaltake Tough Power TP-750P 750W Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
Beast
(14 items)
 
Dell XPS Faptop
(8 items)
 
Alura :)
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Asus Z97 Pro WIFI-AC Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X OC+  G.Skill 4 x 8GB F3-2133C9D-16GXH 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD in RAID 0 Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Noctua NH-D15 Winblows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Pixio PX277 Logitech G510 Seasonic SS-660XP2 Fractal Design R4 Blackout 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 Xtrac Ripper 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.5ghz Dell 0N6705 Mobile Intel 965 Express 2 x 2GB Hyundai/Kingston DDR2 533mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Summit 60GB SSD Slot Load DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate x64 13.3 inch 1280x800 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Asus P8Z68-V Pro MSI R7970 Lightning BE 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB and WD Black 1TB Asus DRW-24B1ST Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorPowerCase
Hannspree 24 inch Thermaltake Tough Power TP-750P 750W Gold Cooler Master HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamin3 View Post

QVL is the quality vendor list- like on the site they advertise what RAM specifically works with the specific board. That doesn't matter almost always. XMP is eXtreme Memory Profile and just sets the memory to what the kit is rated for, meaning you don't have to fiddle with manually setting the timings/frequency/voltage yourself. The memory controller is, frankly what controls the memory. Going way back it had to do with the chipset, but AMD started with Athlon 64 (socket 939 or maybe 754?) and Intel with Nehalem (socket 775 and earlier relied on the chipset). Since the CPU pretty much handles the memory, that kit will work. Haswell has a really strong memory controller and people are running 2400mhz+ with ease. As long as the motherboard is half decent (which that board is awesome) then it's going to do it's job and just supply voltage the memory. Then the memory will be running happily and with stability along with the CPU. Point is a 4770k in pretty much every board out there is going to work with that kit you have, unless you buy the cheapest ECS board or something and it doesn't allow you to change the frequency past 1600mhz or something but even that's slightly unlikely.

Thank you for explaining that.

Do you recommend overclocking the RAM with XMP profile or manually setting the frequency in BIOS?

What are the odds of having to supply more voltage to keep the RAM running stable at the higher frequencies?

I have overclocked my CPU many times( see my sig rig), but never RAM.

Is it risky frying the ram at higher voltages? My Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866Mhz 8gb are rated @ 1.5v for 9-10-9-27 timings I believe.


Or is it a good chance I can set the frequency higher and on stock voltage??? What about altering timings?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › MSI Z87 GD65 motherboard + mushkin Redline 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz RAM?? Support?