Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCG] AMD say “PC ports of next-generation console titles are likely to struggle” on Intel IGP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCG] AMD say “PC ports of next-generation console titles are likely to struggle” on Intel IGP - Page 14

post #131 of 248
No matter what you say, AMD is saying the truth. Considering AMD has created a program that's going to help port games off of these x86 AMD-based consoles onto PC, AMD GPU's are going to have a much more pleasant time running them.
AMD has Ryzen
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX EVGA GTX 1060 3GB ACX 2.0 16GB Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB Crucial SSD Stock RGB Cooler Windows 10 Professional 64 Two KG241Q 75HZ monitors 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Velocifire Brown Switch 10-Keyless. 750W Rosewill Glacier modular.  Thermaltake Core Mini ITX  Logitech G502 Spectrum 
Audio
Superlux 681 w/ HM5 pads.  
  hide details  
Reply
AMD has Ryzen
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX EVGA GTX 1060 3GB ACX 2.0 16GB Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB Crucial SSD Stock RGB Cooler Windows 10 Professional 64 Two KG241Q 75HZ monitors 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Velocifire Brown Switch 10-Keyless. 750W Rosewill Glacier modular.  Thermaltake Core Mini ITX  Logitech G502 Spectrum 
Audio
Superlux 681 w/ HM5 pads.  
  hide details  
Reply
post #132 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3T4LM4N222 View Post

No matter what you say, AMD is saying the truth. Considering AMD has created a program that's going to help port games off of these x86 AMD-based consoles onto PC, AMD GPU's are going to have a much more pleasant time running them.

I don't mean to be prude, but are you blind that you can't actually see those benchmarks that I clearly linked from the same website that is a very reputable source (Anandtech)? Stop the fanboy crap. I love my A10-5800K on my HTPC. However, point in fact is that Iris Pro is quite a bit better than the current APU line of AMD.

Do you not understand that AMD licenses the right to use the x86 architecture from Intel? There is no program that can change one company being able to develop better than the other for x86 as they will be using the same instruction sets.

And we are talking about iGPUs, not dedicated GPUs (which AMD did have a good lead on).

Please cut the fanboy stuff out and look at raw data.
post #133 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

I don't mean to be prude, but are you blind that you can't actually see those benchmarks that I clearly linked from the same website that is a very reputable source (Anandtech)? Stop the fanboy crap. I love my A10-5800K on my HTPC. However, point in fact is that Iris Pro is quite a bit better than the current APU line of AMD.

Do you not understand that AMD licenses the right to use the x86 architecture from Intel? There is no program that can change one company being able to develop better than the other for x86 as they will be using the same instruction sets.

And we are talking about iGPUs, not dedicated GPUs (which AMD did have a good lead on).

Please cut the fanboy stuff out and look at raw data.

doh.gifdoh.gifdoh.gif
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
post #134 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

I don't mean to be prude, but are you blind that you can't actually see those benchmarks that I clearly linked from the same website that is a very reputable source (Anandtech)? Stop the fanboy crap. I love my A10-5800K on my HTPC. However, point in fact is that Iris Pro is quite a bit better than the current APU line of AMD.

Do you not understand that AMD licenses the right to use the x86 architecture from Intel? There is no program that can change one company being able to develop better than the other for x86 as they will be using the same instruction sets.

And we are talking about iGPUs, not dedicated GPUs (which AMD did have a good lead on).

Please cut the fanboy stuff out and look at raw data.


doh.gif

I know Iris Pro is more powerful than AMD's current offerings in Richland APU's HOWEVER this doesn't apply BECAUSE of several reasons

  • Iris Pro (5200) is a niche product. It's only offered in HIGH END SELECT mobile Core i7's and the 4770R, a BGA chip.
  • Console ports are going to be ported off of an AMD PLATFORM, therefor it's likely to perform much better on AMD's shader based iGPU's
  • An Iris Pro 4770R solution (MB + soldered CPU) costs over $400, A Iris-Pro equipped laptop will cost $800 or more.
  • AMD's unified gaming strategy http://www.overclock.net/t/1398150/te-amd-announces-unified-gaming-strategy
AMD has Ryzen
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX EVGA GTX 1060 3GB ACX 2.0 16GB Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB Crucial SSD Stock RGB Cooler Windows 10 Professional 64 Two KG241Q 75HZ monitors 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Velocifire Brown Switch 10-Keyless. 750W Rosewill Glacier modular.  Thermaltake Core Mini ITX  Logitech G502 Spectrum 
Audio
Superlux 681 w/ HM5 pads.  
  hide details  
Reply
AMD has Ryzen
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX EVGA GTX 1060 3GB ACX 2.0 16GB Crucial DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
256GB Crucial SSD Stock RGB Cooler Windows 10 Professional 64 Two KG241Q 75HZ monitors 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Velocifire Brown Switch 10-Keyless. 750W Rosewill Glacier modular.  Thermaltake Core Mini ITX  Logitech G502 Spectrum 
Audio
Superlux 681 w/ HM5 pads.  
  hide details  
Reply
post #135 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

It's a good thing gamers worth a damn don't game on an IGP.

So let me get this straight you are saying anyone that games on an IGP is not worth a damn? Dude this is seriously the most asinine thing I have heard in a long time.
post #136 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3T4LM4N222 View Post

doh.gif

I know Iris Pro is more powerful than AMD's current offerings in Richland APU's HOWEVER this doesn't apply BECAUSE of several reasons

  • Iris Pro (5200) is a niche product. It's only offered in HIGH END SELECT mobile Core i7's and the 4770R, a BGA chip.
  • Console ports are going to be ported off of an AMD PLATFORM, therefor it's likely to perform much better on AMD's shader based iGPU's
  • An Iris Pro 4770R solution (MB + soldered CPU) costs over $400, A Iris-Pro equipped laptop will cost $800 or more.
  • AMD's unified gaming strategy http://www.overclock.net/t/1398150/te-amd-announces-unified-gaming-strategy

doh.gif <-See, I can do it too.

You misunderstand why I made that post.

  • Iris Pro (5200) is a niche product. It's only offered in HIGH END SELECT mobile Core i7's and the 4770R, a BGA chip.

Whole reason I even posted and got into this inane argument is because of the user Maarten12100 made the comment that the AMD A10-6800K is more powerful than Iris Pro. Its not. And second off in regards to this list point, both are niche products. Intel's is more likely to be used in the graphical development department of usage, and AMD's more likely to be used in the underpowered HTPC/very light gaming usage. Anyone doing respectable gaming on an PC is going to end up with a discrete GPU. Most $30-50 GPUs will outperform both iGPUs (as of the current market) and the used GPU market is great for people looking to build low end systems at a respectably low cost.

  • Console ports are going to be ported off of an AMD PLATFORM, therefor it's likely to perform much better on AMD's shader based iGPU's

Let me teach you a piece of wisdom. You never know what is going to happen in the future. Don't bother predicting it. It may, it may not. We have no clue as the consumer. Even about the whole multi-core/multi-thread ordeal with the previous generation consoles, there still wasn't much multi-thread advancement in regards to gaming at all for the PC, mainly because its not feasible on many of the games/engines out there.

  • An Iris Pro 4770R solution (MB + soldered CPU) costs over $400, A Iris-Pro equipped laptop will cost $800 or more.

Never once did I mention cost. I'm dealing with raw hard performance numbers. I know Iris Pro costs more than the 6800K solution overall. They are both for different niches, so both are respectively going to have different costs associated to them.



Let me actually link you to a source that actually goes a little bit more into detail on AMD's strategy that was related to the consumers at Computex.

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=175537

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
AMD also showcased the latest updates to its Unified Gaming Strategy, which is how AMD plans to drive leadership in the global gaming market across consoles, cloud platforms, tablets and PCs. AMD is effectively positioned to drive the next era of gaming as a leading provider of the most innovative graphics technologies and a key collaborator with the world’s top hardware and game developers.

The success of AMD’s Unified Gaming Strategy is immediately and clearly evident in consoles. All major next generation consoles – Sony PlayStation 4, Nintendo Wii U and Microsoft Xbox One – are powered by AMD technology.

AMD also demonstrated its two recently announced leadership graphics products: AMD Radeon™ HD 7990, the world’s fastest desktop GPU, and AMD Radeon™ HD 8970M, the world’s fastest notebook GPU. To showcase the outstanding features, performance and power of AMD Radeon™ GPUs, AMD revealed a new “Ruby™” technology demo at COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2013, designed from the ground up to demonstrate award-winning Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture. Ten years after the release of the first “Ruby” demo, the new version illustrates the magic game developers can create today with GCN, allowing users to experience new levels of detail and features such as AMD TressFX hair and AMD Eyefinity technology. The new “Ruby” technology demo was developed in collaboration with IIIFonic, using the Crytek CryEngine3.

In cloud gaming, AMD showed how it is leading the way by working with industry leaders like CiiNow, G-Cluster, OTOY and Ubitus to deploy gaming technology across the cloud. AMD Radeon™ Sky Series graphics cards enable game developers and service providers to deliver a world-class content experience by allowing flexible streaming of visually stunning games, without restricting users to a single device.

AMD works closely with game developers to optimize PC games for AMD technology and to offer today’s most acclaimed and popular titles via the “Never Settle: Reloaded” game bundle. One of AMD’s key gaming partners is Nixxes, the developer behind “Deus Ex: Human Revolution™,” “Hitman: Absolution™” and “Tomb Raider™.” Jurjen Katsman, CEO of Nixxes, joined AMD at COMPUTEX to discuss the future direction of the long-standing gaming partnership between AMD and Nixxes.


x86 instruction set performance isn't going to get a boost due to HSA/Unified Gaming strategy. That's pretty much set in stone. In terms of the framework/graphical API (GCN, etc.) is where AMD is going to see performance improvement in gaming.

And from what we've seen in the GPU department on AMD vs. Nvidia, that doesn't make a gigantic difference in performance between the two platforms after optimizations are done on both sides. I could be wrong in the future, but current data shows that to pretty much be inconsequential.
post #137 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
doh.gif <-See, I can do it too.

You misunderstand why I made that post.

  • Iris Pro (5200) is a niche product. It's only offered in HIGH END SELECT mobile Core i7's and the 4770R, a BGA chip.

Whole reason I even posted and got into this inane argument is because of the user Maarten12100 made the comment that the AMD A10-6800K is more powerful than Iris Pro. Its not. And second off in regards to this list point, both are niche products. Intel's is more likely to be used in the graphical development department of usage, and AMD's more likely to be used in the underpowered HTPC/very light gaming usage. Anyone doing respectable gaming on an PC is going to end up with a discrete GPU. Most $30-50 GPUs will outperform both iGPUs (as of the current market) and the used GPU market is great for people looking to build low end systems at a respectably low cost.

  • Console ports are going to be ported off of an AMD PLATFORM, therefor it's likely to perform much better on AMD's shader based iGPU's

Let me teach you a piece of wisdom. You never know what is going to happen in the future. Don't bother predicting it. It may, it may not. We have no clue as the consumer. Even about the whole multi-core/multi-thread ordeal with the previous generation consoles, there still wasn't much multi-thread advancement in regards to gaming at all for the PC, mainly because its not feasible on many of the games/engines out there.

  • An Iris Pro 4770R solution (MB + soldered CPU) costs over $400, A Iris-Pro equipped laptop will cost $800 or more.

Never once did I mention cost. I'm dealing with raw hard performance numbers. I know Iris Pro costs more than the 6800K solution overall. They are both for different niches, so both are respectively going to have different costs associated to them.



Let me actually link you to a source that actually goes a little bit more into detail on AMD's strategy that was related to the consumers at Computex.

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=175537

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
AMD also showcased the latest updates to its Unified Gaming Strategy, which is how AMD plans to drive leadership in the global gaming market across consoles, cloud platforms, tablets and PCs. AMD is effectively positioned to drive the next era of gaming as a leading provider of the most innovative graphics technologies and a key collaborator with the world’s top hardware and game developers.

The success of AMD’s Unified Gaming Strategy is immediately and clearly evident in consoles. All major next generation consoles – Sony PlayStation 4, Nintendo Wii U and Microsoft Xbox One – are powered by AMD technology.

AMD also demonstrated its two recently announced leadership graphics products: AMD Radeon™ HD 7990, the world’s fastest desktop GPU, and AMD Radeon™ HD 8970M, the world’s fastest notebook GPU. To showcase the outstanding features, performance and power of AMD Radeon™ GPUs, AMD revealed a new “Ruby™” technology demo at COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2013, designed from the ground up to demonstrate award-winning Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture. Ten years after the release of the first “Ruby” demo, the new version illustrates the magic game developers can create today with GCN, allowing users to experience new levels of detail and features such as AMD TressFX hair and AMD Eyefinity technology. The new “Ruby” technology demo was developed in collaboration with IIIFonic, using the Crytek CryEngine3.

In cloud gaming, AMD showed how it is leading the way by working with industry leaders like CiiNow, G-Cluster, OTOY and Ubitus to deploy gaming technology across the cloud. AMD Radeon™ Sky Series graphics cards enable game developers and service providers to deliver a world-class content experience by allowing flexible streaming of visually stunning games, without restricting users to a single device.

AMD works closely with game developers to optimize PC games for AMD technology and to offer today’s most acclaimed and popular titles via the “Never Settle: Reloaded” game bundle. One of AMD’s key gaming partners is Nixxes, the developer behind “Deus Ex: Human Revolution™,” “Hitman: Absolution™” and “Tomb Raider™.” Jurjen Katsman, CEO of Nixxes, joined AMD at COMPUTEX to discuss the future direction of the long-standing gaming partnership between AMD and Nixxes.


x86 instruction set performance isn't going to get a boost due to HSA/Unified Gaming strategy. That's pretty much set in stone. In terms of the framework/graphical API (GCN, etc.) is where AMD is going to see performance improvement in gaming.

And from what we've seen in the GPU department on AMD vs. Nvidia, that doesn't make a gigantic difference in performance between the two platforms after optimizations are done on both sides. I could be wrong in the future, but current data shows that to pretty much be inconsequential.

I agree with what you have said for the most part the problem is that nobody is yet programming for the so called HSA. If and when we start to see these avenues actually being used I think you will be proven wrong. That is my opinion so take it as such, however the way I have read into the writings and reports on HSA the two portions of the APU will eventually be interchangeable and that each side of the APU will be able to handle both sets of instructions as to help compute and help with graphical aspects. Again this is what I have taken away from the things I have read and seen. When that will happen, who knows.

Take it worth a grain of salt because I agree as well with what you said about the future.
post #138 of 248
Didn't know that people game on IGP's anymore o.O
post #139 of 248

that CPU is faster then intels own 2600k and 2500k 3570k and such ... are you saying that they are terrible? That does not show that 8350 is bad it shows that that chip is very good nothing else.
post #140 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by trulsrohk View Post

if the Kaveri rumors are true (i.e. 7870 level graphic performance) then an AMD APU should be more then enough for average joe gamer

kaveri will have 7750 like performance
1.05 TFLOPS 512radeon cores

will still ofer 30% higher performance then what we have now with trinity/richland
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCG] AMD say “PC ports of next-generation console titles are likely to struggle” on Intel IGP