Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCG] AMD say “PC ports of next-generation console titles are likely to struggle” on Intel IGP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCG] AMD say “PC ports of next-generation console titles are likely to struggle” on Intel IGP - Page 8

post #71 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

Well intel does actually have the APU performance crown from both the CPU and GPU performance standpoints. AMD has a more varied lineup and lower prices. But intel has the performance crown.

And before anyone replies, this isn't a statement about value.
So you say Intel has the gpu performance crown over any AMD apu well that seems legit.
I'm going to make the most unfair comparison I've ever made on OCN so there goes:
Iris pro is equivalent of a gt650m while AMD's apu has the power equivalent of a HD7850.
The HD7850 desktop version as found in the apu is about 3 to 4x as strong as the gt650m.
You killed the money argument I killed the power consumption argument.
post #72 of 248
Very good iGPU coupled with one of the most worthless CPU ever made .... thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif No Thx AMD. But I really hope Kaveri doesnt fail to be honest, cant wait to see xfire review, i have a 7750 in my htpc and I really wish to get more out of it , Really hope I wont be disapointed on the CPU side and if rumor are true about HSA/HUMA and on board GDDR5 ah my GOsh , this little beast gonna rock =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

So you say Intel has the gpu performance crown over any AMD apu well that seems legit.
I'm going to make the most unfair comparison I've ever made on OCN so there goes:
Iris pro is equivalent of a gt650m while AMD's apu has the power equivalent of a HD7850.
The HD7850 desktop version as found in the apu is about 3 to 4x as strong as the gt650m.
You killed the money argument I killed the power consumption argument.
Wait wait wait .... what??!
post #73 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

So you say Intel has the gpu performance crown over any AMD apu well that seems legit.
I'm going to make the most unfair comparison I've ever made on OCN so there goes:
Iris pro is equivalent of a gt650m while AMD's apu has the power equivalent of a HD7850.
The HD7850 desktop version as found in the apu is about 3 to 4x as strong as the gt650m.
You killed the money argument I killed the power consumption argument.

What APU has the equivalent power of a 7850? Are you talking about the PS4 APU, which is at least 6 months from being released in a proprietary, console format?
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

So you say Intel has the gpu performance crown over any AMD apu well that seems legit.
I'm going to make the most unfair comparison I've ever made on OCN so there goes:
Iris pro is equivalent of a gt650m while AMD's apu has the power equivalent of a HD7850.
The HD7850 desktop version as found in the apu is about 3 to 4x as strong as the gt650m.
You killed the money argument I killed the power consumption argument.

What's the best APU right now? The A10-6800k?
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

I don't get why price is such a big deal anyway. Comparing an i7-4950hq-equipped laptop with the closest comparable AMD-equipped laptop, what will the price difference be? 300? 400 at the most? We're talking about a computer that will run cooler, have significantly better battery life, and be faster in every single regard. Unless you replace your laptop every 6 months, how is that not worth the extra cost?

Facepalm. Because everyone has 400 more. If you think that the 400 is a small difference then you have delusions
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

Why are you so hasty to reach a conclusion? It doesn't idle like a laptop igp, 37 watts is unheard-of.

I'm reaching the conclusion because that's what reviewers are saying.

Also please, source on the 37W number please. It makes no sense unless the chip did not have any power saving features turned on. Even then it wouldn't make sense as it would need to be loaded in order to pull that much.

Or it might be some misleading kill-a-watt, from the wall number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

So you say Intel has the gpu performance crown over any AMD apu well that seems legit.
I'm going to make the most unfair comparison I've ever made on OCN so there goes:
Iris pro is equivalent of a gt650m while AMD's apu has the power equivalent of a HD7850.
The HD7850 desktop version as found in the apu is about 3 to 4x as strong as the gt650m.
You killed the money argument I killed the power consumption argument.

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

And you can't throw power consumption out of the window when it comes to mobile hardware because you can't stuff desktop hardware in ultrabooks and the like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

Facepalm. Because everyone has 400 more. If you think that the 400 is a small difference then you have delusions

It's subjective.
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 248
The hardware snobbery that goes on in this forum is sometimes just way over the top. You guys do realize that the tech enthusiasts represent about 3% or so of the total PC world market share. Even of gamers we are likely only about 10%. The APU is targeted at the other 90% or so of users. Also just of note, no company can survive off just the enthusiasts, in fact they can survive fine without us. The money comes from the other 90% of users.
post #78 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

Facepalm. Because everyone has 400 more. If you think that the 400 is a small difference then you have delusions

When it comes to buying a quality laptop that you expect to last several years, then yes it is a very small difference. Especially considering that, due to the nature of its fasterness, the Intel laptop wouldn't need to be replaced as soon (although the difference is likely to be very small).
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

When it comes to buying a quality laptop that you expect to last several years, then yes it is a very small difference. Especially considering that, due to the nature of its fasterness, the Intel laptop wouldn't need to be replaced as soon (although the difference is likely to be very small).

Facepalm.
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

It matters because you can't fit a very good discrete GPU into an ultrabook, for example. It also matters because the entire i7-4950hq runs on 55W at full load, while beating out full AMD desktop APUs that use twice the power, both in CPU and GPU performance. It matters because it is roughly twice as fast as the HD 4000 that was used in processors last year.
hardly twice the power actually if you would use the same node and make the processor part Intel kind of efficient it would use up less power than this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [PCG] AMD say “PC ports of next-generation console titles are likely to struggle” on Intel IGP