Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › HDTV › Picking out a TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Picking out a TV

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
It's been years since I last needed to get a TV so I'm very out of the loop, to say the least. A casual glance at electronics retailers indicates that my options are:
  1. A basic LCD TV, the kind that was in vogue 5 years ago. They seem to have fallen to extremely low prices, but has quality has also fallen to extremely low levels as a result?
  2. A plasma TV. They seem to be a dying breed though.
  3. A 3D TV. Since I'll only be watching cable TV and gaming I really don't see what the point is, and besides I hate wearing those glasses.
  4. A 4K TV. This seems to be the latest trend, though I'm not sure if there's any benefit in the foreseeable future seeing as how most HD broadcasts are still 720p/1080i.

Are there any other interesting options? Any advice on how to narrow down my options would be much appreciated smile.gif
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #2 of 11
LCD in itself is dead. LED is the new branding for LCD televisions because the old LCD tv's used a fluorescent back-light whereas these new LED televisions use Light Emitting Diodes to provide their back-light. This provides a more energy efficient television and a better colored picture.

It is sad to see that plasma is dying, but you are absolutely right. My two favorite televisions that I currently own are both 42in Panasonic plasmas. Panasonic has just announced that they will no longer be producing plasma tv's. This is clearly an end for plasma.

Stay away from 3D televisions. They have been dead since the day that they walked in the door. It's a poor idea with an accompanying poor application.

4K televisions are the future, but they are prohibitively expensive. All/most of the 4K tv's you will see will be LED televisions, because the market has drawn itself to the energy efficiency and luminosity of these displays.

My suggestion: Purchase either a Sharp, Sony, or Samsung LED television with 1080P. These companies know tv's. And if you would like to buy American (in name only), Vizio is a television for the budget minded. Not the best quality but a great price for what you get. I do not think that we will see 4K come to power until another couple years.

Source: Worked in electronics sales.
Ivy(saur)
(17 items)
 
Brother's Build
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE G.SKILL Sniper (2x4gb) 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB LG CD/DVD Burner Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Home Premium-64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell S2309W 23in 1080P Antec EarthWatts 650W Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy(saur)
(17 items)
 
Brother's Build
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE G.SKILL Sniper (2x4gb) 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB LG CD/DVD Burner Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Home Premium-64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell S2309W 23in 1080P Antec EarthWatts 650W Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0CALEFACTION0 View Post

LCD in itself is dead. LED is the new branding for LCD televisions because the old LCD tv's used a fluorescent back-light whereas these new LED televisions use Light Emitting Diodes to provide their back-light. This provides a more energy efficient television and a better colored picture.

It is sad to see that plasma is dying, but you are absolutely right. My two favorite televisions that I currently own are both 42in Panasonic plasmas. Panasonic has just announced that they will no longer be producing plasma tv's. This is clearly an end for plasma.

Stay away from 3D televisions. They have been dead since the day that they walked in the door. It's a poor idea with an accompanying poor application.

4K televisions are the future, but they are prohibitively expensive. All/most of the 4K tv's you will see will be LED televisions, because the market has drawn itself to the energy efficiency and luminosity of these displays.

My suggestion: Purchase either a Sharp, Sony, or Samsung LED television with 1080P. These companies know tv's. And if you would like to buy American (in name only), Vizio is a television for the budget minded. Not the best quality but a great price for what you get. I do not think that we will see 4K come to power until another couple years.

Source: Worked in electronics sales.

I 2nd that, Sharp, Sony, or Samsung, or Vizio if on budget, I have 2 vizios and i'm happy with them,
now think about this, do you need a 3rd TV ? probably no, do you need a smart TV ? if you are connecting console, smart BD player or HTPC then NO.
happy hunting.
FXy
(20 items)
 
Surf-Pro
(8 items)
 
HTPC
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel core i5-3317u Microsoft Surface pro intel HD graphics 4000 4gb ddr3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
samsung ssd windows 8.1 pro 10.6 multi touch cover touch 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon ll X4 635 Foxconn 785G AM3 Radion HD 4200 4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
wd 750 GB SATA 3 7200 rpm HP SuperMulti DVD Burner Windows 7 Home premium 64bit Viewsonic 21" 
  hide details  
Reply
FXy
(20 items)
 
Surf-Pro
(8 items)
 
HTPC
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel core i5-3317u Microsoft Surface pro intel HD graphics 4000 4gb ddr3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
samsung ssd windows 8.1 pro 10.6 multi touch cover touch 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon ll X4 635 Foxconn 785G AM3 Radion HD 4200 4Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
wd 750 GB SATA 3 7200 rpm HP SuperMulti DVD Burner Windows 7 Home premium 64bit Viewsonic 21" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
I'd go with Samsung or LG.

Both are the best brands in terms of reliability and quality.

Sharp and Panasonic are going bankrupt so that's a big no no.

Sony uses LG panels and I prefer LG's designs.
post #5 of 11
Just went through this myself. To oversimplify things, plasma TVs have better picture quality, backlight uniformity, and viewing angles compared to LCD, and are typically less expensive. However, they are thicker and consume more power. Plasma is better suited to dark rooms, and LCD to bright rooms. I wouldn't bother with 3D or 4K at the moment, for the reasons you and everyone else have stated.

The first thing you should decide on is what size you want. Plasmas range from 42" to 65", whereas LCD can be smaller, in that range, or larger, depending on the brand. On that note, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic are the best, but also the most expensive. Sharp, LG and Vizio are pretty comparable. Sharp and Panasonic are indeed bleeding money, but that wouldn't deter me from buying them. If they stop producing televisions, one of the other companies mentioned will likely purchase their TV divisions.

For what it's worth, I went with a Vizio LCD because it was less expensive than every other brand and plasma was not an option for the size I wanted. It won't be here until Wednesday, so I can't give you my impressions. tongue.gif
Edited by PiERiT - 6/9/13 at 7:04pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 G.SKILL NT Series 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 PRO 256GB WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator X34 CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Corsair Gaming MM300 Mouse Mat ASUS Xonar DGX Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 G.SKILL NT Series 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 PRO 256GB WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator X34 CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Corsair Gaming MM300 Mouse Mat ASUS Xonar DGX Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiERiT View Post

Just went through this myself. To oversimplify things, plasma TVs have better picture quality, backlight uniformity, and viewing angles compared to LCD, and are typically less expensive. However, they are thicker and consume more power. Plasma is better suited to dark rooms, and LCD to bright rooms. I wouldn't bother with 3D or 4K at the moment, for the reasons you and everyone else have stated.

The first thing you should decide on is what size you want. Plasmas range from 42" to 65", whereas LCD can be smaller, in that range, or larger, depending on the brand. On that note, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic are the best, but also the most expensive. Sharp, LG and Vizio are pretty comparable. Sharp and Panasonic are indeed bleeding money, but that wouldn't deter me from buying them. If they stop producing televisions, one of the other companies mentioned will likely purchase their TV divisions.

For what it's worth, I went with a Vizio LCD because it was less expensive than every other brand and plasma was not an option for the size I wanted. It won't be here until Wednesday, so I can't give you my impressions. tongue.gif

You clearly don't understand the fundamentals of TV technology.

Backlights only exist for LCD TV's.

Plasma TV's do not have backlights.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koehler View Post

You clearly don't understand the fundamentals of TV technology.

Backlights only exist for LCD TV's.

Plasma TV's do not have backlights.

The vast majority of LCD TVs are edge-lit, often resulting in some areas being brighter than others. Plasmas do not have this issue.

I may have misused the term "backlight", but it served well enough to get that point across.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 G.SKILL NT Series 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 PRO 256GB WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator X34 CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Corsair Gaming MM300 Mouse Mat ASUS Xonar DGX Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 G.SKILL NT Series 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 PRO 256GB WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator X34 CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Corsair Gaming MM300 Mouse Mat ASUS Xonar DGX Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
I was researching TV's since January and ended up getting the Samsung 51" plasma last week of May. Yes it has the smart hub but haven't really messed with that much. I put this one in a fairly dark family room but even with the patio door blinds open there is much reflection. Price was around $800 at hhgregg. Been watching movies from Amazon Prime and comcast and some sporting events. The picture is really good and the audio is fine for this room. Big thumbs up for me. Model was pn53 f5500. Today am having a 32" LG 720-60 delivered for the wife's use in a sunny living room area. Cost was $260. LED btw. I think where you are putting the TV relative to the size of the room and and light are very important.

I sit 10' from the Samsung and 51" is plenty big. BTW I paired it with a Samsung 5900 Bluray. Only watched one Bluray so far..TopGun in 3D which was ok. Have a couple of Imax 3D's on the way, should have tomorrow. I will post results of the viewing experience and how the LG is.

One last thing most of the shows are watched in the movie mode with amplified sound, The dynamic mode is very bright, looks like LED in that mode.
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
To answer some of the above questions:
  • The room is fairly small - roughly 10.5' by 11'.
  • The room is extremely bright during the day, but this can always be controlled by closing the blinds. The question is whether or not I can be bothered to do so every time I want to watch TV.
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #10 of 11
I don't think anyone likes to go around adjusting blinds and is the reason we went with LED for the living room. After my purchase of the Samsung I am sold on them. Did one online support query and it was immediately answer as the one phone call. Sad to learn that my plasma doesn't play nicely with a surge protector. After a week I had to plug it directly into the wall.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › HDTV › Picking out a TV