Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Mice, y u no ergonomic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mice, y u no ergonomic

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
Here's a little thought I've had for a good while: Why are there no properly ergonomic gaming-capable mice in the market? I mean, all the gaming mice marketed as ergonomic don't really put your hand into its most natural position. They force you to twist your wrist to zero angle in relation to your desk (which is not good), and as far as I know, none of them properly "fill" your entire palm and support the natural position of one's knuckle joints at the same time. The only mice I'm aware of that would be decent ergonomics-wise seem to be packing bad sensors, and their ergonomic shape is usually "overdone".

Are manufacturers afraid to try genuinely new shapes? Or do they just think classic shapes like IME 3.0 and MX518 really are the best you can get? While I like ergonomic mice, I feel like I've never encountered one that didn't force me to change from my hand's relaxed position.
post #2 of 45
People have different types of grips and they design with this in mind. The three general types are palm grip (which it sounds like you have), claw grip, and fingertip grip. Palm grip is the most comfortable and takes advantage of a full size mouse. Claw grippers use small mice because they crane their fingers in uncomfortable positions to have quicker response times. The fingertippers only use their finger tips to move their mouse and, again this is an uncomfortable position for many. I would suggest a good mouse, but I do not know of any.
Ivy(saur)
(17 items)
 
Brother's Build
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE G.SKILL Sniper (2x4gb) 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB LG CD/DVD Burner Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Home Premium-64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell S2309W 23in 1080P Antec EarthWatts 650W Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy(saur)
(17 items)
 
Brother's Build
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE G.SKILL Sniper (2x4gb) 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB LG CD/DVD Burner Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Home Premium-64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell S2309W 23in 1080P Antec EarthWatts 650W Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 45
For this reason, I will never stop using the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical unless new technology forces me to somehow. I like it so much that I even stocked up and I have about 4-5 extra just in case (it's next to impossible to find unopened retail versions or unused OEM versions these days). Although, the one I have now feels like it's going to last at least another 10 years as long as advancing technology continues to support it. Still, I'm glad to have backups just in case.

So yeah, this thing is about as ergonomic as it gets.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0CALEFACTION0 View Post

People have different types of grips and they design with this in mind. The three general types are palm grip (which it sounds like you have), claw grip, and fingertip grip. Palm grip is the most comfortable and takes advantage of a full size mouse. Claw grippers use small mice because they crane their fingers in uncomfortable positions to have quicker response times. The fingertippers only use their finger tips to move their mouse and, again this is an uncomfortable position for many. I would suggest a good mouse, but I do not know of any.
Uh, well I was talking about palm mice, yes. Maybe I should have made it more clear, though palm mice usually tend to be the ergonomic ones too. My problem is that I've found no proper palm mouse that's designed to support your hand in a relaxed position, aka the one it would have when it's freely in the air.
post #5 of 45
At least not mice with good lasers. That I understand. I use a Microsoft mouse because I too have problems with uncomfortable mice.
Ivy(saur)
(17 items)
 
Brother's Build
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE G.SKILL Sniper (2x4gb) 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB LG CD/DVD Burner Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Home Premium-64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell S2309W 23in 1080P Antec EarthWatts 650W Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy(saur)
(17 items)
 
Brother's Build
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme4 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE G.SKILL Sniper (2x4gb) 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB LG CD/DVD Burner Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Home Premium-64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell S2309W 23in 1080P Antec EarthWatts 650W Cooler Master HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by test user View Post

Uh, well I was talking about palm mice, yes. Maybe I should have made it more clear, though palm mice usually tend to be the ergonomic ones too. My problem is that I've found no proper palm mouse that's designed to support your hand in a relaxed position, aka the one it would have when it's freely in the air.

Perfect mouse for what you want, and it doesn't break the bank while being customizable: Mionix Naos 3200. And if you do need an adjustable weight system, then get the Naos 5000.
post #7 of 45
My G500 seems ergonomic; it fits my hand excellently with a palm grip. I use a semi-fingertip grip, though, because it feels better for whatever reason. I have big hands, too.
post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conley View Post

My G500 seems ergonomic; it fits my hand excellently with a palm grip. I use a semi-fingertip grip, though, because it feels better for whatever reason. I have big hands, too.

The G500 is a good mouse, but it doesn't have the proper support on your right side of your hand with your pinky/fourth finger to lay in a normal position if you plan on palm gripping, which if I'm not mistaken is what the OP wants in a mouse.
post #9 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Perfect mouse for what you want, and it doesn't break the bank while being customizable: Mionix Naos 3200. And if you do need an adjustable weight system, then get the Naos 5000.
I was able to try out the 5000 at a store, it felt a bit meh to me. Again, uncomfortable angle for my wrist, and it could have filled the center of my palm better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conley View Post

My G500 seems ergonomic; it fits my hand excellently with a palm grip. I use a semi-fingertip grip, though, because it feels better for whatever reason. I have big hands, too.
G500 is good, true, but it's not a truly ergonomic shape.


@Kinaesthetic; Exactly biggrin.gif
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by test user View Post

I was able to try out the 5000 at a store, it felt a bit meh to me. Again, uncomfortable angle for my wrist, and it could have filled the center of my palm better
G500 is good, true, but it's not a truly ergonomic shape.

Well, you aren't going to find any other mice (except that one FUNC mouse which copied the Mionix Naos 5000 design, literally) that has fully natural ergonomic support.


Only other one that comes close is the Logitech MX Performance (Link). But that is a wireless mouse. And if you plan on gaming, there its polling rate is a bit too slow, especially for twitch-like games such as FPS, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mice
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Mice, y u no ergonomic