Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Intel 3930K & ASRock Extreme9 X79 Overclocking Guide - Show your UEFI Overclock Settings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel 3930K & ASRock Extreme9 X79 Overclocking Guide - Show your UEFI Overclock Settings - Page 2

post #11 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwilson408 View Post

Not sure what's going on here. I set an auto overclock for 4.4ghz and turned on all C-States C1E, C3, C6 etc... CPU-Z Shows a competely different VCore Voltage. Any clues here?

Here's where it show the two apps voltage readouts
post #12 of 40
Thread Starter 
Excuse the typos. Cell phone postings ugh.
post #13 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama22 View Post

Depends in voltage if you want to run something 24/7. I would want over 1.4 vcore for a workstation.

Any over clocking guide for the x79 (3930k/3960x, not 3820) is sufficient. I would not use the auto oc features for 24/7 either.

The problem I'm having is that the 3930 and/or sbe guides don't address certain settings on my motherboard. Some motherboards go at overclocking differently this making it difficult for me to guess which settings they are talking about. which is why I saw a need for this thread.
post #14 of 40
Thread Starter 
Can you explain which settings determine vcore voltage when performing a fixed voltage overclock, an offset voltage overclock and though I don't have any intention, a BCLK overclock on this board?

I Can feel that I'm on the verge of one of those Eureka! Moments with all of this.
post #15 of 40
A few things to note.
Change multi to 48.
Do not use additional turbo voltage, no point when adjust voltages manually.

Bump current limit for both normal and turbo to 500.

Turn speed step and real time ratio change to on.

Turn off xmp for dram and use auto for both that and dram speed (you can manually put in the dram clock if you want)

Go into the ram settings and manually set the timings of your ram.

Now to the voltage page:

Change fixed voltage to 1.45v (or offset and find the +.xxx that equals 1.45v in bios) offset is what I would use for 24/7.
Change load line calibration to level 3(will keep max voltage right near what you set)
Manually set vccsa(fixed) and vtt to 1.2v

In CPU settings (north bridge I think) Run off c1e, c3 and c6 sleep modes. You can try then on after getting stable, best to turn them off for now.

P.s.

Getting 2400mhz ram to run @ 4.8 will be a challenged and may demand move vccsa and vtt then you will want to use.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3960x @4.7 ghz asrock extreme9 x79 3x msi 7970 lightnings g.skill ripjawx 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingMonitor
ssd: kingston hyperx 120gb hdd: seagate barracu... bd-rwh water for cpu benq 2420t 24" 120hz 
Case
mountain mods extended asension 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3960x Asrock Extreme9 2x Sapphire 6950 unlocked G.skill CL8 12800 x4 (4gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston hyperx  Seagate barracuda xt 7200/ sata3/ 64 mb cache LiteOn BD-R x12 Watercooling 
OSMonitorPowerCase
win 7 x64 asus 23" 1080p 1000W Thermaltake toughpower HAX 932 Advanced (modified for Radiators on ins... 
MouseAudio
Razer Deathhadder 3.5g sennheiser PC 330, Game blaster with Extreme9 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3960x @4.7 ghz asrock extreme9 x79 3x msi 7970 lightnings g.skill ripjawx 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingMonitor
ssd: kingston hyperx 120gb hdd: seagate barracu... bd-rwh water for cpu benq 2420t 24" 120hz 
Case
mountain mods extended asension 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3960x Asrock Extreme9 2x Sapphire 6950 unlocked G.skill CL8 12800 x4 (4gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston hyperx  Seagate barracuda xt 7200/ sata3/ 64 mb cache LiteOn BD-R x12 Watercooling 
OSMonitorPowerCase
win 7 x64 asus 23" 1080p 1000W Thermaltake toughpower HAX 932 Advanced (modified for Radiators on ins... 
MouseAudio
Razer Deathhadder 3.5g sennheiser PC 330, Game blaster with Extreme9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama22 View Post

A few things to note.
Change multi to 48.
Do not use additional turbo voltage, no point when adjust voltages manually.

Bump current limit for both normal and turbo to 500.

Turn speed step and real time ratio change to on.

Turn off xmp for dram and use auto for both that and dram speed (you can manually put in the dram clock if you want)

Go into the ram settings and manually set the timings of your ram.

Now to the voltage page:

Change fixed voltage to 1.45v (or offset and find the +.xxx that equals 1.45v in bios) offset is what I would use for 24/7.
Change load line calibration to level 3(will keep max voltage right near what you set)
Manually set vccsa(fixed) and vtt to 1.2v

In CPU settings (north bridge I think) Run off c1e, c3 and c6 sleep modes. You can try then on after getting stable, best to turn them off for now.

P.s.

Getting 2400mhz ram to run @ 4.8 will be a challenged and may demand move vccsa and vtt then you will want to use.

Tomorrow is fathers day and I'm gonna spend the entire day working on this overclock. TheSe looks like some very promising leads and im looking forward to nailing this down. I'll definitely report back tomorrow. Thanks.
post #17 of 40
Thread Starter 
Well, so much for being able to start overclocking today. A pleasant family surprise took presidents. I'll try and hit it this week but no promises. Super busy work week ahead.
post #18 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwilson408 View Post

Tomorrow is fathers day and I'm gonna spend the entire day working on this overclock. TheSe looks like some very promising leads and im looking forward to nailing this down. I'll definitely report back tomorrow. Thanks.
looks like I getting into windows with that overclock. SUPER BIG THANKS! it's not stable but I learned something from you and now I can start tweaking from there. My oc was a complete mess and that changed things up tremendously. Why do you not recommend using xmp 1.3? Is this Just so I can get my oc stable then after I do that I work on the Memory?

, how does the offset work? Ive read that each chip is given a stock operating voltage AND the Offset is additional voltage used to obtain a clock that operates between 12 and in this case a 48 multiplier?
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwilson408 View Post

looks like I getting into windows with that overclock. SUPER BIG THANKS! it's not stable but I learned something from you and now I can start tweaking from there. My oc was a complete mess and that changed things up tremendously. Why do you not recommend using xmp 1.3? Is this Just so I can get my oc stable then after I do that I work on the Memory?

, how does the offset work? Ive read that each chip is given a stock operating voltage AND the Offset is additional voltage used to obtain a clock that operates between 12 and in this case a 48 multiplier?

No problem, do understand that it needs to be dialed in pretty heavily as that is just a guideline.

xmp 1.3 will set your vtt and vccsa and lock them from your control. You need to be able to adjust these as they will be important to a stable oc.

Fixed voltage = selected voltage 100% of the time. No matter what clock is stays at that voltage.
Offset voltage = Variable voltage when speedstep/real time ratio change is enabled. This lets you have idle power states and prolong the life (and reduce the heat) of your cpu.

i.e: With fixed voltage and speedstep/real time ratio on, at idle, you will be running 1200mhz with 1.45v as the fixed volts will not change.
With offset voltage and speedstep/real time ratio on, at idle, you will be running 1200mhz with .8xx v. It will also change when the clocks bump around.

The way with your mb to determine the amount of "+.xxx" of offset to add is to set it and reboot into bios and see what it says the actual voltage is and change until you find your optimum "+.xxx".

On the extreme9, offset of +.135 =~1.44-1.45v i believe.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3960x @4.7 ghz asrock extreme9 x79 3x msi 7970 lightnings g.skill ripjawx 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingMonitor
ssd: kingston hyperx 120gb hdd: seagate barracu... bd-rwh water for cpu benq 2420t 24" 120hz 
Case
mountain mods extended asension 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3960x Asrock Extreme9 2x Sapphire 6950 unlocked G.skill CL8 12800 x4 (4gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston hyperx  Seagate barracuda xt 7200/ sata3/ 64 mb cache LiteOn BD-R x12 Watercooling 
OSMonitorPowerCase
win 7 x64 asus 23" 1080p 1000W Thermaltake toughpower HAX 932 Advanced (modified for Radiators on ins... 
MouseAudio
Razer Deathhadder 3.5g sennheiser PC 330, Game blaster with Extreme9 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3960x @4.7 ghz asrock extreme9 x79 3x msi 7970 lightnings g.skill ripjawx 1600 cl8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingMonitor
ssd: kingston hyperx 120gb hdd: seagate barracu... bd-rwh water for cpu benq 2420t 24" 120hz 
Case
mountain mods extended asension 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3960x Asrock Extreme9 2x Sapphire 6950 unlocked G.skill CL8 12800 x4 (4gb) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston hyperx  Seagate barracuda xt 7200/ sata3/ 64 mb cache LiteOn BD-R x12 Watercooling 
OSMonitorPowerCase
win 7 x64 asus 23" 1080p 1000W Thermaltake toughpower HAX 932 Advanced (modified for Radiators on ins... 
MouseAudio
Razer Deathhadder 3.5g sennheiser PC 330, Game blaster with Extreme9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwilson408 View Post

looks like I getting into windows with that overclock. SUPER BIG THANKS! it's not stable but I learned something from you and now I can start tweaking from there. My oc was a complete mess and that changed things up tremendously. Why do you not recommend using xmp 1.3? Is this Just so I can get my oc stable then after I do that I work on the Memory?

, how does the offset work? Ive read that each chip is given a stock operating voltage AND the Offset is additional voltage used to obtain a clock that operates between 12 and in this case a 48 multiplier?

Fantastic!

problem I'm having is that no matter what I set voltages to my bios reports a vcore of 2.040v which is false. Cpu-z reports the VCore properly but the send to be a glitch in the uefi. It also reports that my mobi temp is -63c which is not unless my computer is doing drugs behind my back shooting up liquid nitrogen. Joking aside I have a 4 drive raid0 array sitting on one of the marvel controllers and a 3 drive raid0 sitting in one of the intel controller's so I've never reluctant to flash my uefi with a new version as It'll lose the marvel array. Atleast that's what happened when I migrated from 2.80 to 3.10 where it sits now. I don't have an extra12tb at the moment to transfer my backups to so I've felt with it. However, looks like that might be something to prioritize.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
  • Intel 3930K & ASRock Extreme9 X79 Overclocking Guide - Show your UEFI Overclock Settings
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Intel 3930K & ASRock Extreme9 X79 Overclocking Guide - Show your UEFI Overclock Settings