Vampirr, just get out of this thread. Thanks. We all know that you go to asinine lengths to defend AMD over Nvidia/Intel. Hell, its what got you banned at Anandtech
for pretty much doing it constantly over there.
OP, please don't listen to a single damn word this guy says. Pretty much the most biased damn person in this thread that it isn't even funny.
On the actual topic though, the FX-8350/8320 is a good CPU, but you aren't overclocking. You won't take advantage of its ability to be better than the Xeon (stock) when the FX-8350/8320 is overclocked. So that's out of the question.
You play SC2. An RTS game such as SC2 will almost always inherently not be fully multi-thread optimized. It just isn't coded that way. You are going to want to best possible per core performance you can get. Right now, the AMD CPUs don't offer that. Steamroller aims to close that gap, but given the generous estimates floating around, it still won't be enough to close that gap.
Right now, you are facing these choices:
- Do you want a CPU that will be excellent in 95% of the applications/games that you are using? And good in the rest of the 5%? Then the Xeon is the best choice for you.
- Do you want a CPU that will be good in 95% of the applications/games that you are using? And be equal/slightly better in the rest of the 5%? Then the FX-8320/8350 is the best choice for you.*
The choice is yours. You say you aren't overclocking, so my honest recommendation is the Xeon in your choice. It offers the best all around performance of the choices between AMD and Intel.
And no one can predict the future. Hell, back when the PS3/Xbox 360, people were extolling around the internet that PC gaming would become more highly threaded due to the increased core count in the consoles. What actually happened? It never did till extremely recently. And even then, those games can only rely on 5-6 threads (which the Xeon will cover easily) as the others have to be left for background/OS processes.
And all this crap Vampirr is saying about Kaveri is just stupid. It won't even hold any amount of hope of reaching the performance of the Xeon/Core i7 line, or essentially i5+. Its not even remotely a CPU to be considered in OP's situation.
Just to give you an example, it would take around a 40-50% increase in IPC for Steamroller/Kaveri to come close to matching the per core performance of the Intel Core i# series.
And I'll say it again, as it's happened in the tech world time and time again. Never try to predict the future.
*After overclocking, which you aren't planning on doing.