Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Help choosing new fans
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help choosing new fans - Page 2

post #11 of 18
Akasa Piranhas are good fans. High static pressure, PWM (if that matters to you), and very good CFM at approximately 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a Noctua. I have used the Akasa Viper 140s, and 120s. They can get a little noisy, but tolerable - to me. I have used the Akasa Apaches and found them to be very nice. They have decent CFM and good static pressure are definitely quiet.

Quiet seems to be in the "ear of the beholder." I have three Noctua fans I used to listen to click and whir! I have two 120mm versions, one NF-F12 PWM, one NF-P12 PWM and lastly a 140mm NF-A12. I paid dearly for them and hate that I did. That was a lot of money to pay to sit in a box on a shelf because I couldn't stand the noise they made. Their static pressure is not all that and a bag of chips either.

I have tried the AP-15s after so many folks made a lot of noise about them. I didn't care for them either. To me, they are very noisy, with a definite"whir" to them.

One thing to remember when fan talk is going on. Nearly everyone is going to have at least a slightly different experience with any fan. It will be based on what they are pulling through, pushing through, speed, noise bouncing around the inside of the case, room acoustics, fan design and sometimes even placement - horizontal or vertical.

All that said, I have run many fans over the years including the Vantec Tornado (HOLY SMOKES! Now THAT is noise!), at this point in time, considering all the points necessary for water cooling, I am liking the Akasa Piranhas best.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/akpipwmqufan.html
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questors View Post

Akasa Piranhas are good fans. High static pressure, PWM (if that matters to you), and very good CFM at approximately 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a Noctua. I have used the Akasa Viper 140s, and 120s. They can get a little noisy, but tolerable - to me. I have used the Akasa Apaches and found them to be very nice. They have decent CFM and good static pressure are definitely quiet.

Quiet seems to be in the "ear of the beholder." I have three Noctua fans I used to listen to click and whir! I have two 120mm versions, one NF-F12 PWM, one NF-P12 PWM and lastly a 140mm NF-A12. I paid dearly for them and hate that I did. That was a lot of money to pay to sit in a box on a shelf because I couldn't stand the noise they made. Their static pressure is not all that and a bag of chips either.

I have tried the AP-15s after so many folks made a lot of noise about them. I didn't care for them either. To me, they are very noisy, with a definite"whir" to them.

One thing to remember when fan talk is going on. Nearly everyone is going to have at least a slightly different experience with any fan. It will be based on what they are pulling through, pushing through, speed, noise bouncing around the inside of the case, room acoustics, fan design and sometimes even placement - horizontal or vertical.

All that said, I have run many fans over the years including the Vantec Tornado (HOLY SMOKES! Now THAT is noise!), at this point in time, considering all the points necessary for water cooling, I am liking the Akasa Piranhas best.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/akpipwmqufan.html

Thanks for the input depth reply, I'm look at them now and I'm liking what I see, plus the fans aren't as ugly as the AP-15. +rep to you Sir for the good recommendation
AMD Money Pit
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMRAM
AMD Athlon X2 5000+  Asrock N61P-S Samsung 512MB DDR2 Samsung 512MB DDR2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Seagate 80GB SATA Cooler Master Phenom II Stock Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell Slim 160 Watt 
Case
XBOX Original Casing 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Money Pit
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMRAM
AMD Athlon X2 5000+  Asrock N61P-S Samsung 512MB DDR2 Samsung 512MB DDR2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Seagate 80GB SATA Cooler Master Phenom II Stock Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell Slim 160 Watt 
Case
XBOX Original Casing 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 18
Had 8 GT AP-15s (which are the 1850rpm variants) and some exhibit a strange whine or droning sound (woo wooo woo woo...) when mounted horizontally on the top of my case. Very silent when mounted vertically. I swapped the 4 top AP-15s for 4 Enermax Cluster fans (1500rpm). I prefer the sound signature of the Enermax Cluster, slightly deeper in tone and not as much wind noise, probably because they push slightly less air. They also look much much nicer. tongue.gif

AP-15s are definitely a solid performer! But my vote goes to the Enermax Clusters. thumb.gif
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikczt View Post

Had 8 GT AP-15s (which are the 1850rpm variants) and some exhibit a strange whine or droning sound (woo wooo woo woo...) when mounted horizontally on the top of my case. Very silent when mounted vertically. I swapped the 4 top AP-15s for 4 Enermax Cluster fans (1500rpm). I prefer the sound signature of the Enermax Cluster, slightly deeper in tone and not as much wind noise, probably because they push slightly less air. They also look much much nicer. tongue.gif

AP-15s are definitely a solid performer! But my vote goes to the Enermax Clusters. thumb.gif

The static pressure is very low on the Enermax fans, lower than the Xigmateks that I gave him with the H80
AMD Money Pit
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMRAM
AMD Athlon X2 5000+  Asrock N61P-S Samsung 512MB DDR2 Samsung 512MB DDR2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Seagate 80GB SATA Cooler Master Phenom II Stock Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell Slim 160 Watt 
Case
XBOX Original Casing 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Money Pit
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMRAM
AMD Athlon X2 5000+  Asrock N61P-S Samsung 512MB DDR2 Samsung 512MB DDR2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Seagate 80GB SATA Cooler Master Phenom II Stock Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell Slim 160 Watt 
Case
XBOX Original Casing 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 18
Cougars are awesome fans. Mine have been working flawlessly with no noise!
Queso Fresco
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k GIGABYTE G1.Sniper M3 Z77 ASUS Turbo GTX 1060  G. Skill Trident X 2400 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 250gb Intel 320 160gb SilverStone Heligon HE01 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Achieva Shimian  Monoprice MX Black SeaSonic X-750 Corsair 350D 
Mouse
Nixeus Revel 
  hide details  
Reply
Queso Fresco
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k GIGABYTE G1.Sniper M3 Z77 ASUS Turbo GTX 1060  G. Skill Trident X 2400 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 250gb Intel 320 160gb SilverStone Heligon HE01 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Achieva Shimian  Monoprice MX Black SeaSonic X-750 Corsair 350D 
Mouse
Nixeus Revel 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthenshaw View Post

The static pressure is very low on the Enermax fans, lower than the Xigmateks that I gave him with the H80

That is true, I overlooked the fact that the OP is going to use them with the H80 which has 20fpi. I wouldn't say the static pressure on the Clusters are very low, more like lower. tongue.gif

I use my Enermax Clusters with a Alphacool Nexxxos UT60 (10fpi) so the static pressure is not so important for me.
post #17 of 18
I just installed some NoiseBlocker B12-4 fans and they are very quiet. I compared them to the AP-15's and while the AP-15's were quieter, I found the tone of the NoiseBlockers to be easier on the ears.

Check out some of the fan comparisons here, complete with videos so you can hear how they sound.
http://martinsliquidlab.org/category/fans/
R2012
(34 items)
 
Home Theater
(18 items)
Office Rig
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz ASUS Sabertooth X79 ASUS GTX Titan 6GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB LG Blu Ray Burner Aquacomputer AMS 360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Razor GTX Titan Backplate FrozenQ Nova Core 220 3x Aerocool Shark 120mm 3x NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-4 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
96" Primochill 1/2" OD Clear Rigid Acrylic Tube 8x PrimoChill Rigid Ghost Compression Fittings AquaComputer Aquaero 5 Pro with Black Faceplate Aquacomputer Aquastream XT 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
XSPC RayStorm Water Block XSPC Razor GTX Titan Water Block Windows 8.1 Pro x68 Dell UltraSharp 3008wfp 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell UltraSharp U2410 Dell UltraSharp 2007fp Dell UltraSharp 2007fp Corsair K95 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200i Lian-Li PC-v2120b (Modified) Logitech G502 Proteus Core Razer Vespula 
AudioAudioAudioOther
2x Dynaudio BM5a Reference Monitors PreSonus Firebox Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Logitech G13 Gamepad 
OtherOther
Saitek X52 Flight Controller APC Smart-UPS SMT2200 1980 Watt/2200VA Battery ... 
  hide details  
Reply
R2012
(34 items)
 
Home Theater
(18 items)
Office Rig
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz ASUS Sabertooth X79 ASUS GTX Titan 6GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB LG Blu Ray Burner Aquacomputer AMS 360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Razor GTX Titan Backplate FrozenQ Nova Core 220 3x Aerocool Shark 120mm 3x NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-4 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
96" Primochill 1/2" OD Clear Rigid Acrylic Tube 8x PrimoChill Rigid Ghost Compression Fittings AquaComputer Aquaero 5 Pro with Black Faceplate Aquacomputer Aquastream XT 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
XSPC RayStorm Water Block XSPC Razor GTX Titan Water Block Windows 8.1 Pro x68 Dell UltraSharp 3008wfp 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell UltraSharp U2410 Dell UltraSharp 2007fp Dell UltraSharp 2007fp Corsair K95 RGB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200i Lian-Li PC-v2120b (Modified) Logitech G502 Proteus Core Razer Vespula 
AudioAudioAudioOther
2x Dynaudio BM5a Reference Monitors PreSonus Firebox Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Logitech G13 Gamepad 
OtherOther
Saitek X52 Flight Controller APC Smart-UPS SMT2200 1980 Watt/2200VA Battery ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgunn View Post

I just installed some NoiseBlocker B12-4 fans and they are very quiet. I compared them to the AP-15's and while the AP-15's were quieter, I found the tone of the NoiseBlockers to be easier on the ears.

Check out some of the fan comparisons here, complete with videos so you can hear how they sound.
http://martinsliquidlab.org/category/fans/

Being more expensive and having a lower static pressure rating than the scythes but also at higher rpm and db, i will stick with the scythes, thanks for the suggestion though
AMD Money Pit
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMRAM
AMD Athlon X2 5000+  Asrock N61P-S Samsung 512MB DDR2 Samsung 512MB DDR2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Seagate 80GB SATA Cooler Master Phenom II Stock Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell Slim 160 Watt 
Case
XBOX Original Casing 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Money Pit
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMRAM
AMD Athlon X2 5000+  Asrock N61P-S Samsung 512MB DDR2 Samsung 512MB DDR2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Seagate 80GB SATA Cooler Master Phenom II Stock Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell Slim 160 Watt 
Case
XBOX Original Casing 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Help choosing new fans