Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › What should be my future upgrade path?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What should be my future upgrade path? - Page 3

Poll Results: Which cpu upgrade will be longer lasting?

 
  • 27% (3)
    Wait for steamroller and just replace my 8350
  • 18% (2)
    By into socket 2011 and get a 3820 or 3930
  • 0% (0)
    Buy into Haswell and wait for bloomfield
  • 27% (3)
    Overclock the heck out ot my 8350
  • 27% (3)
    Wait for a ddr4 socket and see what the future holds
11 Total Votes  
post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocraft View Post

holy wow, you are really shooting down the line there. the expected release for broadwell is like 2015. lol. You might as well shoot for Skylake architecture.

Oh wow I thought it was in 2014. My main plan here is to upgrade one last time before my freshmen year of college starting in 2014 and not agian hopefully till my junior year. I'm in debate of what to do mostly with my cpu as ddr4 is on the horizon. My video cards ill probably just keep around for a while havent fully decided
Alienware 15
(11 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-4710HQ GTX 970M 3GB 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
250GB m.2 SSD 1TB HDD Fedora 23 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardMouse
4k IPS Corsair K95 Corsair K65 
  hide details  
Reply
Alienware 15
(11 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-4710HQ GTX 970M 3GB 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
250GB m.2 SSD 1TB HDD Fedora 23 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardMouse
4k IPS Corsair K95 Corsair K65 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTots View Post

Oh wow I thought it was in 2014. My main plan here is to upgrade one last time before my freshmen year of college starting in 2014 and not agian hopefully till my junior year. I'm in debate of what to do mostly with my cpu as ddr4 is on the horizon. My video cards ill probably just keep around for a while havent fully decided

Check my post above
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.5Ghz ASUS Rampage IV Formula X79 EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid @ 1450/1900 Corsair Dominator 16gb @ 2.2GHz C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 500gb 7200RPM 120.5 Custom Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 LG D2343P-BN 3D Monitor @ 70Hz Corsair K70 (MX Brown) Corsair AX Series 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black (Heavily Modded) Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Sennheiser HD 598 Cs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte 970A UD3 AMD HD8490 (OEM) @ 1.1Ghz Core/Mem Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb @1600MHz 8-8-8-24 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LiteOn Bluray Player Corsair Hydro Series H100i Zalman 120mm Led Fans x4 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hitachi 24" 70Hz Monitor Logitech EX110 OCZ ZT 550w Full Modular Zalman Z9 Plus 
MouseAudioOther
DELL Wireless Mouse Logitech 5.1 Sound System TP-Link TL-WN781ND Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.5Ghz ASUS Rampage IV Formula X79 EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid @ 1450/1900 Corsair Dominator 16gb @ 2.2GHz C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 500gb 7200RPM 120.5 Custom Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 LG D2343P-BN 3D Monitor @ 70Hz Corsair K70 (MX Brown) Corsair AX Series 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Black (Heavily Modded) Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Sennheiser HD 598 Cs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte 970A UD3 AMD HD8490 (OEM) @ 1.1Ghz Core/Mem Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb @1600MHz 8-8-8-24 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LiteOn Bluray Player Corsair Hydro Series H100i Zalman 120mm Led Fans x4 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hitachi 24" 70Hz Monitor Logitech EX110 OCZ ZT 550w Full Modular Zalman Z9 Plus 
MouseAudioOther
DELL Wireless Mouse Logitech 5.1 Sound System TP-Link TL-WN781ND Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC1999 View Post

Check my post above

Lol i just noticed that. I;m starting to think that the best idea would be to just get better cooling for my 8350, and overclock the crap outa it, then use the money i would have spent up on x79 for a later upgrade once i see how the new 8000 series and steamroller chips come out
Alienware 15
(11 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-4710HQ GTX 970M 3GB 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
250GB m.2 SSD 1TB HDD Fedora 23 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardMouse
4k IPS Corsair K95 Corsair K65 
  hide details  
Reply
Alienware 15
(11 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-4710HQ GTX 970M 3GB 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
250GB m.2 SSD 1TB HDD Fedora 23 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardMouse
4k IPS Corsair K95 Corsair K65 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC1999 View Post

IB - 2012
HW - Md 2013
BW - Late 2014
SL - Mid/Late 2015

Not that far away mate thumb.gif

i read that intel has replaced the release date of broadwell with haswell-e.

http://www.techspot.com/news/52819-where-did-broadwell-go-leaked-intel-roadmap-shows-2014-haswell-refresh-but-no-broadwell.html

http://hothardware.com/News/Intel-Broadwell-Reportedly-Delayed-On-Desktops-Until-2015-Reality-Likely-More-Complex-/

http://news.techeye.net/chips/intels-broadwell-is-delayed

there is more where that came from. it is a recent turn of events.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTots View Post

Lol i just noticed that. I;m starting to think that the best idea would be to just get better cooling for my 8350, and overclock the crap outa it, then use the money i would have spent up on x79 for a later upgrade once i see how the new 8000 series and steamroller chips come out

that is a fantastic idea. AMD will release the FX-9450 and FX-9650 in Q1 2014. this is the best way to save you money before college. save that money to spend on a sweet build that will ensure you are distracted from doing your homework in your freshman year like my freshman college room mate did (he did not graduate with his degree in computer engineering in 2009 like he was supposed to.) just make sure you shower more than he did.
post #26 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocraft View Post

that is a fantastic idea. AMD will release the FX-9450 and FX-9650 in Q1 2014. this is the best way to save you money before college. save that money to spend on a sweet build that will ensure you are distracted from doing your homework in your freshman year like my freshman college room mate did (he did not graduate with his degree in computer engineering in 2009 like he was supposed to.) just make sure you shower more than he did.

Lol thanks. I plan to major in computer science, and can't wait to start
Alienware 15
(11 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-4710HQ GTX 970M 3GB 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
250GB m.2 SSD 1TB HDD Fedora 23 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardMouse
4k IPS Corsair K95 Corsair K65 
  hide details  
Reply
Alienware 15
(11 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-4710HQ GTX 970M 3GB 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
250GB m.2 SSD 1TB HDD Fedora 23 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardMouse
4k IPS Corsair K95 Corsair K65 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTots View Post

Lol thanks. I plan to major in computer science, and can't wait to start

It is a great field to get a degree in. just make sure not to stop at CIS unless you want to be an IT technician for the rest of your life. The real money is in computer engineering.
post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocraft View Post

It is a great field to get a degree in. just make sure not to stop at CIS unless you want to be an IT technician for the rest of your life. The real money is in computer engineering.

Thanks for the advice biggrin.gif I still don't know what exactly I want to do but I know I want to work somewhere in the field of programming
Alienware 15
(11 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-4710HQ GTX 970M 3GB 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
250GB m.2 SSD 1TB HDD Fedora 23 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardMouse
4k IPS Corsair K95 Corsair K65 
  hide details  
Reply
Alienware 15
(11 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-4710HQ GTX 970M 3GB 16GB 256GB M.2 SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSOS
250GB m.2 SSD 1TB HDD Fedora 23 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardMouse
4k IPS Corsair K95 Corsair K65 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › What should be my future upgrade path?