Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Asus ROG Maximus VI Impact Owner's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus ROG Maximus VI Impact Owner's Club - Page 124

post #1231 of 1272
Can somebody help me with the m.2. NGFF ssd?

Im kind of confused by what drives will work, because the only ones ive seen work is with 2 holes in the connector, and i want to know if the Samsung Pro 950 m.2. will work? If you dont know what i mean, look at the pictures here:




So my questions are;

Will the Samsung with 1 hole work on this board?

Will it be limited by any sort of way? (like a sata 3 drive in a sata 2 connection)

Have any1 tried this configuration, and if so how did it work?

Thanks smile.gif
post #1232 of 1272
M.2 is kinda pointless on the Impact VI for performance because it's no faster than SATA 3.0. Considering the price premium of M.2 drives, you're better off with just a regular SATA SSD.
post #1233 of 1272
Why do you say its not faster than sata 3? Is this a special thing with this board? frown.gif
post #1234 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd62 View Post

Why do you say its not faster than sata 3? Is this a special thing with this board? frown.gif

I think its because of M.2 port, not the board itself.
post #1235 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd62 View Post

Why do you say its not faster than sata 3? Is this a special thing with this board? frown.gif

The M.2 port on the Impact VI can run in SATA mode (so it's limited to the same speed as a regular SATA SSD) or PCIe mode. There are some extremely fast PCIe SSDs out there, like the upcoming Samsung 950 Pro, but the Impact VI's M.2 port is limited to PCIe 2.0 x1.

Which after accounting for overhead, tops out at about 400MB/s, so in PCIe mode it's actually slower than SATA.
post #1236 of 1272
Oh thats sad - Well thanks very for much for explaining it smile.gif Would had been sad if i bought it and it was limited to sata speeds frown.gif
post #1237 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibohphobia View Post

M.2 is kinda pointless on the Impact VI for performance because it's no faster than SATA 3.0. Considering the price premium of M.2 drives, you're better off with just a regular SATA SSD.

Sata II - Sata 3.0? - 3Gb/s?
Sata III? - 6Gb/s?
post #1238 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polochamps View Post

Sata II - Sata 3.0? - 3Gb/s?
Sata III? - 6Gb/s?

SATA 3.0 = 6Gb/s
post #1239 of 1272
Any rumors, news about a Z170 Impact?
Temp Derp
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K MSI Mpower Z77 7970 Reference G.Skill RipjawsZ 4x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Apogee HD XSPC RX360 V2 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EKFC-7970NA Swiftech D5 XSPC Dual Bay D5 Reservoir Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Overlord Tempest X270OC (@114Hz) Dell U2412m Ducky DK-9008 Corsair TX950 V1 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master CM290 Logitech G600 - Razer Naga Epic Steelseries 9HD Asus Essence STX 
Audio
Denon AH-D2000 
  hide details  
Reply
Temp Derp
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K MSI Mpower Z77 7970 Reference G.Skill RipjawsZ 4x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
OCZ Vertex 4 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Apogee HD XSPC RX360 V2 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EKFC-7970NA Swiftech D5 XSPC Dual Bay D5 Reservoir Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Overlord Tempest X270OC (@114Hz) Dell U2412m Ducky DK-9008 Corsair TX950 V1 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master CM290 Logitech G600 - Razer Naga Epic Steelseries 9HD Asus Essence STX 
Audio
Denon AH-D2000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1240 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by armartins View Post

Any rumors, news about a Z170 Impact?

It's already out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132638 biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Asus ROG Maximus VI Impact Owner's Club