Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Other Peripherals › KVM Switch (Mac Osx 10.8 + Windows 7) Need advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KVM Switch (Mac Osx 10.8 + Windows 7) Need advice

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi guys,

I need some advice on this home setup I'm planning. I drew up a simple diagram of what's planned.

yfhc.jpg

PC for gaming and Mac for music production with Logic.

Now I'm not sure about which KVM switch to get as all the ones I've seen only have 2 USB inputs, I need 3 as seen in diagram.

Furthermore, how's the software for the Razer stuff nowadays? Read alot of complaints. I assume no problems for windows, but will the Orbweaver and Taipan work without problems when I'm on the Mac working on tracks?

Lastly, please recommend a good keyboard for this setup keeping in mind it won't be used for gaming but mainly for Logic and general typing.

I hope everything makes sense and thanks in advance.

Kaz.
post #2 of 7
Hi,
So I wanted to answer in french but for everybody else's sake (and mine) I decided not to.

Your diagram looks good. Now I'm not a big expert about KVM switches but it seems that if they're able to share USB ports it's allright. The razer software, synapse is cloud-based and will keep your profiles from one machine to another. I suppose orochi and orbweaver being pretty recent peripherals, they will be supported by synapse so no problem with theses two.
For the keyboard, there are plenty of good keyboards that use PS/2 ports so not 3rd usb port needed on the KVM switch. I recommend a mechanical keyboard if you are willing to afford one : in my sig there's a link to the ultimate ocn mechanical keyboard guide, folow it to the "recomendations" part.
see you around mate smile.gif
deus ex machina
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
deus ex machina
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaziel View Post

Hi guys,

I need some advice on this home setup I'm planning. I drew up a simple diagram of what's planned.

yfhc.jpg

PC for gaming and Mac for music production with Logic.

Now I'm not sure about which KVM switch to get as all the ones I've seen only have 2 USB inputs, I need 3 as seen in diagram.

Furthermore, how's the software for the Razer stuff nowadays? Read alot of complaints. I assume no problems for windows, but will the Orbweaver and Taipan work without problems when I'm on the Mac working on tracks?

Lastly, please recommend a good keyboard for this setup keeping in mind it won't be used for gaming but mainly for Logic and general typing.

I hope everything makes sense and thanks in advance.

Kaz.
well i'm about to do what i say is bad but, instead of finding a 3 port usb switch, i think might not be so easy since they don intend each port specifically for a mouse or keyboard, this may not or may not be true for all KVMs, i'm sure some don't don't care whats plugged in to the USB ports at all.

what you could do is plug in a small3 or 4 port hub on one/the mouse side to use each of your razer devices.
Chris-PC
(17 items)
 
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
Acer 5920G
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II 1100T AsRock Extreme4 990FX HD4850 HD4850 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MV-3V2G3D/US  MV-3V4G3D/US  Barracuda 7200.10 WD Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler Win 7 Ultimate 64bit Hanns,G Hi221 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E198WFP Saitek Eclipse Corsair TX850W NZXT M59 
Audio
Asus Xonar D1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9300 GT 240M DDR2  WD10JPVT 
OS
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Chris-PC
(17 items)
 
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
Acer 5920G
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II 1100T AsRock Extreme4 990FX HD4850 HD4850 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MV-3V2G3D/US  MV-3V4G3D/US  Barracuda 7200.10 WD Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler Win 7 Ultimate 64bit Hanns,G Hi221 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E198WFP Saitek Eclipse Corsair TX850W NZXT M59 
Audio
Asus Xonar D1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9300 GT 240M DDR2  WD10JPVT 
OS
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamimaru View Post

Hi,
So I wanted to answer in french but for everybody else's sake (and mine) I decided not to.

Your diagram looks good. Now I'm not a big expert about KVM switches but it seems that if they're able to share USB ports it's allright. The razer software, synapse is cloud-based and will keep your profiles from one machine to another. I suppose orochi and orbweaver being pretty recent peripherals, they will be supported by synapse so no problem with theses two.
For the keyboard, there are plenty of good keyboards that use PS/2 ports so not 3rd usb port needed on the KVM switch. I recommend a mechanical keyboard if you are willing to afford one : in my sig there's a link to the ultimate ocn mechanical keyboard guide, folow it to the "recomendations" part.
see you around mate smile.gif

I thought you could read minds until I realised the avatar is a French soldier hahaha. Yea I'm half French but I haven't been back for over a decade and haven't had any speakers around me so I'm very rusty redface.gif

Yea I have seen a couple of KVMs with those ports, I smacked my head so hard when I read your reply wondering why I didn't think of that.. awesome idea! Thank you so very much thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

well i'm about to do what i say is bad but, instead of finding a 3 port usb switch, i think might not be so easy since they don intend each port specifically for a mouse or keyboard, this may not or may not be true for all KVMs, i'm sure some don't don't care whats plugged in to the USB ports at all.

what you could do is plug in a small3 or 4 port hub on one/the mouse side to use each of your razer devices.

Yea I have thought of that, so I guess I'll have to find models that specify that their USB ports can accept hubs, like this Aten http://www.aten.com.my/products/productItem.php?pid=20090211152531001&psid=20070130114411002&pcid=20070130111333003&layerid=subClass3

Cool thanks, I will have a look around and post back if I have any further questions smile.gif
post #5 of 7
any reason you don't want to hook each mouse in to each machine? is one of the two razer devices not a mouse?
Chris-PC
(17 items)
 
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
Acer 5920G
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II 1100T AsRock Extreme4 990FX HD4850 HD4850 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MV-3V2G3D/US  MV-3V4G3D/US  Barracuda 7200.10 WD Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler Win 7 Ultimate 64bit Hanns,G Hi221 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E198WFP Saitek Eclipse Corsair TX850W NZXT M59 
Audio
Asus Xonar D1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9300 GT 240M DDR2  WD10JPVT 
OS
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Chris-PC
(17 items)
 
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
Acer 5920G
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II 1100T AsRock Extreme4 990FX HD4850 HD4850 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MV-3V2G3D/US  MV-3V4G3D/US  Barracuda 7200.10 WD Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler Win 7 Ultimate 64bit Hanns,G Hi221 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E198WFP Saitek Eclipse Corsair TX850W NZXT M59 
Audio
Asus Xonar D1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9300 GT 240M DDR2  WD10JPVT 
OS
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

any reason you don't want to hook each mouse in to each machine? is one of the two razer devices not a mouse?

The razer orbweaver si a keypad, so one computer would lack of a mouse.
deus ex machina
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
deus ex machina
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #7 of 7
maybe put the hub on the keyboard side.
Chris-PC
(17 items)
 
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
Acer 5920G
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II 1100T AsRock Extreme4 990FX HD4850 HD4850 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MV-3V2G3D/US  MV-3V4G3D/US  Barracuda 7200.10 WD Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler Win 7 Ultimate 64bit Hanns,G Hi221 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E198WFP Saitek Eclipse Corsair TX850W NZXT M59 
Audio
Asus Xonar D1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9300 GT 240M DDR2  WD10JPVT 
OS
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Chris-PC
(17 items)
 
Core 2 Haf
(16 items)
 
Acer 5920G
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II 1100T AsRock Extreme4 990FX HD4850 HD4850 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MV-3V2G3D/US  MV-3V4G3D/US  Barracuda 7200.10 WD Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 EVGA Superclock CPU Cooler Win 7 Ultimate 64bit Hanns,G Hi221 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E198WFP Saitek Eclipse Corsair TX850W NZXT M59 
Audio
Asus Xonar D1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q9550 ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi-AP GTX 480 Kingston HyperX DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8G 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
PNY 1333 55gb, 320Gb, 500GB, 1TB Hyper 212 EVO Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Lubuntu 13.04 x64 OS X 10.8.5 TX750 Haf 912 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9300 GT 240M DDR2  WD10JPVT 
OS
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Peripherals
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Other Peripherals › KVM Switch (Mac Osx 10.8 + Windows 7) Need advice