Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › HTPC › Do you need a HTPC if you have a smart tv?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you need a HTPC if you have a smart tv? - Page 3

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Jester View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDriftyy View Post

It's literally the same as that lineup, to the core. The only difference being the number of tuners, and it makes a network over the USB connection and has a static IP address on the host machine. It's a little different, but it uses the same drivers and is recognized as an HD Homerun from the software.

You can run the PVR software on the HTPC itself. My hardware is a little underpowered to do that on top of the media center experience, but modern hardware should tackle it with no problem whatsoever. You can start basic with XBMC and your media. It does most of the work, I just push myself the extra mile to give me the unique experience that I want.

Edit; another note.

There are a lot of backend clients to pair with tuners. nPVR is basically the only one that supports my tuner. The HD Homerun lineup is supported by almost every one. It's worth looking into getting a Prime, it's the best choice TBQH.

Run the PVR server software on the HTPC, and just point it to the NAS for file streaming? Would that slow it down at all?
What about recording? Would that also be able to be stored to the NAS instead of having to get another HDD to go in the htpc?

The static/owned content is completely independent of your live TV setup. You can have the PVR software on the HTPC and stream from the NAS just fine, no hickups given your hardware supports it.

Recording is done on the host machine of the software/tuner. It's how the live TV buffer exists and how it streams the file. Basically it writes to a file in real time and the software opens that file when you say "switch to this channel." You could make a script copy over any TV files not in use files every 6 hours (dead simple). All you need is a small drive (<250GB) to do this. Chances are you may have one laying around.
post #22 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDriftyy View Post

The static/owned content is completely independent of your live TV setup. You can have the PVR software on the HTPC and stream from the NAS just fine, no hickups given your hardware supports it.

Recording is done on the host machine of the software/tuner. It's how the live TV buffer exists and how it streams the file. Basically it writes to a file in real time and the software opens that file when you say "switch to this channel." You could make a script copy over any TV files not in use files every 6 hours (dead simple). All you need is a small drive (<250GB) to do this. Chances are you may have one laying around.

I'm assuming I can't plug the HDHomerun directly into the NAS and still have it accessible for live tv huh?
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Jester View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDriftyy View Post

The static/owned content is completely independent of your live TV setup. You can have the PVR software on the HTPC and stream from the NAS just fine, no hickups given your hardware supports it.

Recording is done on the host machine of the software/tuner. It's how the live TV buffer exists and how it streams the file. Basically it writes to a file in real time and the software opens that file when you say "switch to this channel." You could make a script copy over any TV files not in use files every 6 hours (dead simple). All you need is a small drive (<250GB) to do this. Chances are you may have one laying around.

I'm assuming I can't plug the HDHomerun directly into the NAS and still have it accessible for live tv huh?

The HDHomerun sits on your network, but I don't know of a way to do that. I will point nPVR's buffer zone to a network drive and let you know what happens.

AAAAAnnnd nothing. It put my HTPC into a loading fit of death until XBMC needed to be killed.
Edited by xDriftyy - 6/19/13 at 4:54pm
post #24 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDriftyy View Post

The HDHomerun sits on your network, but I don't know of a way to do that. I will point nPVR's buffer zone to a network drive and let you know what happens.

AAAAAnnnd nothing. It put my HTPC into a loading fit of death until XBMC needed to be killed.

Hrm, ok
So I guess I will have to build a HTPC afterall. My poor wallet. frown.gif
post #25 of 28
Just plug in a HD Homerun prime on your network, install software on your gaming PC, and use your 360 as an extender for live tv and media playback. It's that simple. Also by the time you pay for or build a NAS, you could've just built a cheap htpc/media server running windows. Just a thought, NAS boxes can be pretty limiting for what you pay for them.
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolsmasher View Post

Just plug in a HD Homerun prime on your network, install software on your gaming PC, and use your 360 as an extender for live tv and media playback. It's that simple. Also by the time you pay for or build a NAS, you could've just built a cheap htpc/media server running windows. Just a thought, NAS boxes can be pretty limiting for what you pay for them.

But. But. But. That's too easy smile.gif
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDriftyy View Post

But. But. But. That's too easy smile.gif

Haha, love your setup. I'm using WMC + Mediabrowser with MPC-Hc as external player. I saw The Place Beyond the Pines recently too! First 2 acts were incredible, especially with Gosling as the half-crazy carney. Third was pretty unnecessary IMO though.
post #28 of 28
Get a Boxee or one of them media boxes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HTPC
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › HTPC › Do you need a HTPC if you have a smart tv?