Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › Web Browsers stop loading webpages, help required
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Web Browsers stop loading webpages, help required

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hey folks

So for a while now I have been experiencing a really annoying problem. I have full connection to my WiFi in the house and I could be casually surfing the web, watching videos on YouTube, then suddenly webpages just no longer load. I could be using Chrome, but the same happens across Firefox and IE.

I continue to have a connection to the Internet, I can login to steam and download games, I can play MMO's such as a TERA etc. However, no web browser will load a webpage, it just hangs. To resolve the issue I have to restart the laptop.

This problem has been happening for a good month or two now, it just started happening all of a sudden. I recently rebooted the laptop with a clean install of Windows 7 (I had 7 installed previously). The problem also occurred on the previous boot and it still continues even on a clean install. No other computer or rig in the house has the issue.

The problem started back when I had 5mb connection with SKY, and after swapping to Fibre Optic BT Infinity 2 with 40 down and 20 up and a clean install, the issue still persists. I can happen within 5minutes of use to anything up to a few hours.

Has anyone experienced this issue before and are there any solutions? It's driving me mad, I hate having to restart the computer. I've tried disconnecting and connecting again, restarting explorer through task manager but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moynesy View Post

Hey folks

So for a while now I have been experiencing a really annoying problem. I have full connection to my WiFi in the house and I could be casually surfing the web, watching videos on YouTube, then suddenly webpages just no longer load. I could be using Chrome, but the same happens across Firefox and IE.

I continue to have a connection to the Internet, I can login to steam and download games, I can play MMO's such as a TERA etc. However, no web browser will load a webpage, it just hangs. To resolve the issue I have to restart the laptop.

This problem has been happening for a good month or two now, it just started happening all of a sudden. I recently rebooted the laptop with a clean install of Windows 7 (I had 7 installed previously). The problem also occurred on the previous boot and it still continues even on a clean install. No other computer or rig in the house has the issue.

The problem started back when I had 5mb connection with SKY, and after swapping to Fibre Optic BT Infinity 2 with 40 down and 20 up and a clean install, the issue still persists. I can happen within 5minutes of use to anything up to a few hours.

Has anyone experienced this issue before and are there any solutions? It's driving me mad, I hate having to restart the computer. I've tried disconnecting and connecting again, restarting explorer through task manager but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Take your computer to a friends house and retest your browser software on their connection.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
I've had this problem - it was related to the web scanner in avast free AV. I CBA doing a reinstall of windows, I'm holding off till I can afford an SSD. Uninstalling and reinstalling avast didn't fix it.

Anyway - try disabling shields on your AV, and visit SAFE sites, see if it solved the problem. If so, its your AV. smile.gif
post #4 of 7
Edit - Double post - sorry!
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Take your computer to a friends house and retest your browser software on their connection.

I know it wouldn't make a difference since my little brothers rig works just fine, as well as various other devices. It has done this across both a SKY and BT package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latelesley View Post

I've had this problem - it was related to the web scanner in avast free AV. I CBA doing a reinstall of windows, I'm holding off till I can afford an SSD. Uninstalling and reinstalling avast didn't fix it.

Anyway - try disabling shields on your AV, and visit SAFE sites, see if it solved the problem. If so, its your AV. smile.gif

I use AVG Internet Security package, I have disabled the Web Browsing protection stuff and so far so good. thumb.gif Let's hope it was that.Thanks!
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
actually, it would be worth going through the plugins (or addons , extentions whatever your browser names them) and taking out anything you don't recognise as something you use. And also have a look through your add/remove programs - any toolbars you see that you don't use, or if you see "conduit engine", ditch that. theres a couple of other things to look for that i can't remember the name.of. Its the usual stuff that pops up if i'm cleaning a slow PC.

Tools of choice - ccleaner - http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

you can use that to empty your temp files, clear your cache's, and sort out what starts up when the machine boots. And it has a reasonably reliable reg cleaner too - the first of any reg cleaner i'd trust.

Malwarebytes anti malware - http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

I use this on top of a virus scan for cleaning any rogue adware stuff out. JUst watch when installing it, I think the new version want to default to the "trial" which times out in 30 days. Untick that in the installer (think its the last page - it has 3 tick boxes in it.) and you'll get the free version instead.

and run a full scan with your AV too, after updating. It doesn't do any harm - and you could just leave it churning away overnight. smile.gif

Anyway, I hope you're sorted! thumb.gif
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by latelesley View Post

actually, it would be worth going through the plugins (or addons , extentions whatever your browser names them) and taking out anything you don't recognise as something you use. And also have a look through your add/remove programs - any toolbars you see that you don't use, or if you see "conduit engine", ditch that. theres a couple of other things to look for that i can't remember the name.of. Its the usual stuff that pops up if i'm cleaning a slow PC.

Tools of choice - ccleaner - http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

you can use that to empty your temp files, clear your cache's, and sort out what starts up when the machine boots. And it has a reasonably reliable reg cleaner too - the first of any reg cleaner i'd trust.

Malwarebytes anti malware - http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

I use this on top of a virus scan for cleaning any rogue adware stuff out. JUst watch when installing it, I think the new version want to default to the "trial" which times out in 30 days. Untick that in the installer (think its the last page - it has 3 tick boxes in it.) and you'll get the free version instead.

and run a full scan with your AV too, after updating. It doesn't do any harm - and you could just leave it churning away overnight. smile.gif

Anyway, I hope you're sorted! thumb.gif

Yeah, I appear to have gotten sorted. So far so good, longest I've gone in a long time so its looking up! Yeah, I've been using CCleaner for years and the computer is squeaky clean. Not a single addon or toolbar in the browsers, can never stand toolbars.

And thanks!
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
Arctic Thunder
(10 items)
 
ASUS G51VX-RX05
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
T9900 3.06GHz GTX 260M 1GB 4GB DDR2 800MHz 320GB 
OSMonitorKeyboardMouse
Windows 7 IIyama ProLite E2773HDS Logitech G15 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Other Software › Web Browsers stop loading webpages, help required