Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Rugged Outdoors Case Recommendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rugged Outdoors Case Recommendations

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hello,

I'm looking to build a powerful computer to run my research group's telescope and camera. It will have a lot of top-of-the-line equipment with a lot of power (Intel Xeon, etc etc), however, the telescope and computer sit outside, with an open tarp-tent above the equipment.

Details:

** We're out in California, so freezing weather isn't an issue, but temperatures may exceed 110F outside

** The computer is on a rolling desk, which will be brought in if there is any possibility of rain, so rain-proofing would be nice (just in case), but is not too pressing of an issue.

** Dust and proper ventalation will be very important, pollution and smoke may be an issue as well

** The case will be rolled around on the desk and moved often, it needs to be rugged enough to protect its components from bumps, shoves, and maybe a fall or two just in case.

Are there any companies that specialize in these "bulletproof" cases? Could anyone recommend a good case? Does anyone have experience with outdoor/semi-outdoor builds?
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGXII View Post

Hello,

I'm looking to build a powerful computer to run my research group's telescope and camera. It will have a lot of top-of-the-line equipment with a lot of power (Intel Xeon, etc etc), however, the telescope and computer sit outside, with an open tarp-tent above the equipment.

Details:

** We're out in California, so freezing weather isn't an issue, but temperatures may exceed 110F outside

** The computer is on a rolling desk, which will be brought in if there is any possibility of rain, so rain-proofing would be nice (just in case), but is not too pressing of an issue.

** Dust and proper ventalation will be very important, pollution and smoke may be an issue as well

** The case will be rolled around on the desk and moved often, it needs to be rugged enough to protect its components from bumps, shoves, and maybe a fall or two just in case.

Are there any companies that specialize in these "bulletproof" cases? Could anyone recommend a good case? Does anyone have experience with outdoor/semi-outdoor builds?

Build on a test bench and enclose the system in a secure metal box with mesh grill openings to allow air to pass through. Then make a hole for cables and power button.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

Build on a test bench and enclose the system in a secure metal box with mesh grill openings to allow air to pass through. Then make a hole for cables and power button.

I would like to think of that as more a last resort. We have an older intel duo build which has lasted a good 5 years out at the station. Consider this build just requiring more ventallation and dust-management, as well as demanding a case capable of absorbing shock. Test benches and metal boxes don't quite seem to absorb shock very well.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGXII View Post

I would like to think of that as more a last resort. We have an older intel duo build which has lasted a good 5 years out at the station. Consider this build just requiring more ventallation and dust-management, as well as demanding a case capable of absorbing shock. Test benches and metal boxes don't quite seem to absorb shock very well.

Well, no cases will provide what you need on a noticeable level. Your best bet is to build something. Only then will you have no limitations on how much protection you can implement.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Skynet
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
Skynet
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #6 of 7
I wonder if you could mount a test bench in a pelican case?

I found that they do make rack mount cases.

http://www.pelican.com/rack_dimensions.php
Edited by Vash101 - 6/25/13 at 6:17am
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 evga gtx 970 16gb Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Red Samsung 830  WD Green Samsung 840 Evo 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
H100i v2 Windows 7 Profesional 64 Dell UltraSharp U2412M Dell UltraSharp U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCase
g710/g13 Corsair AX850 Case Labs BH7 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 evga gtx 970 16gb Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD Red Samsung 830  WD Green Samsung 840 Evo 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
H100i v2 Windows 7 Profesional 64 Dell UltraSharp U2412M Dell UltraSharp U2412M 
KeyboardPowerCase
g710/g13 Corsair AX850 Case Labs BH7 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGXII View Post

Hello,

I'm looking to build a powerful computer to run my research group's telescope and camera. It will have a lot of top-of-the-line equipment with a lot of power (Intel Xeon, etc etc), however, the telescope and computer sit outside, with an open tarp-tent above the equipment.

Details:

** We're out in California, so freezing weather isn't an issue, but temperatures may exceed 110F outside

** The computer is on a rolling desk, which will be brought in if there is any possibility of rain, so rain-proofing would be nice (just in case), but is not too pressing of an issue.

** Dust and proper ventalation will be very important, pollution and smoke may be an issue as well

** The case will be rolled around on the desk and moved often, it needs to be rugged enough to protect its components from bumps, shoves, and maybe a fall or two just in case.

Are there any companies that specialize in these "bulletproof" cases? Could anyone recommend a good case? Does anyone have experience with outdoor/semi-outdoor builds?

any sturdy case with liquid cooling provisions would do well. to survive a bump, you need to go liquid because a water block has less mass then an air cooler. so the g forces translated to the mobo is less severe in a bump when you use a liquid setup. I would recommend something like a corsair H100i type cooler for your CPU's. so just try to find something that would accommodate that. as far as dust prevention, just make sure the case you choose has dust filters built in.

as for rain proofing... that's a pretty tall order and something like the pelican case suggestion above may work. however i'm not sure how well those rack cases ventilate in that plastic box... maybe both the front and back of the case both open? not too sure. since i've never used one.

do you have a budget in mind? always helps when picking something specific like this if you have a bigger budget to play with.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › Rugged Outdoors Case Recommendations