Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Transferring form Windows to Linux
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Transferring form Windows to Linux - Page 2

post #11 of 16
2003 and IDE aren't an issue. the old PC would still work fine with lubuntu
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoWillWalls View Post

Well, had another look today, took out old hard drive to plug in and... It's IDE rolleyes.gif When I said his computer was old I didn't realise how old, 2003 we bought it in a sale really cheap, so surprised that it works at all biggrin.gif
To be honest, I nearly said that you'd need a cheap IDE to SATA converter (you can pick them up for about £5) but then thought you'd already realised this yourself so didn't bother to post that comment. doh.gif
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

To be honest, I nearly said that you'd need a cheap IDE to SATA converter (you can pick them up for about £5) but then thought you'd already realised this yourself so didn't bother to post that comment. doh.gif

Well I just thought it'd be SATA, I didn't realise it was sooo old but yeah, oh well rolleyes.gif
Current build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k AsRock Z77 Extreme4 MSI R9 290 8Gb Corsair DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
500Gb WD  1Tb WD Kingston SSD Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
23" 1080p LG IPS 23" 1080p LG IPS 21.5" 1080p Samsung LED Corsair k70 MX Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
700W CoolMaster +80 Corsair Graphite 230t Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury Razor Goliath 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
Current build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k AsRock Z77 Extreme4 MSI R9 290 8Gb Corsair DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
500Gb WD  1Tb WD Kingston SSD Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
23" 1080p LG IPS 23" 1080p LG IPS 21.5" 1080p Samsung LED Corsair k70 MX Red 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
700W CoolMaster +80 Corsair Graphite 230t Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury Razor Goliath 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoWillWalls View Post

Well I just thought it'd be SATA, I didn't realise it was sooo old but yeah, oh well rolleyes.gif
To be fair, SATA hasn't been around that long really. In fact my home server still boots from an IDE drive. (the 6 disk storage array is all SATA though)
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

To be fair, SATA hasn't been around that long really. In fact my home server still boots from an IDE drive. (the 6 disk storage array is all SATA though)

10 years isn't that long??? granted IDE was created back in 1986 however was basically completely phased out by 2007.
The Raven
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-2600K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 EVGA GTX 570 SC EVGA GTX 570 SC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866 Samsung 840 Pro  iHAS324 - Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 ASUS VN248 ASUS VN248 Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
XFX 850W BE SILVERSTONE RV02B-EW Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
The Raven
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-2600K Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 EVGA GTX 570 SC EVGA GTX 570 SC 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1866 Samsung 840 Pro  iHAS324 - Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 ASUS VN248 ASUS VN248 Logitech G510 
PowerCaseMouse
XFX 850W BE SILVERSTONE RV02B-EW Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratas View Post

10 years isn't that long??? granted IDE was created back in 1986 however was basically completely phased out by 2007.

Which is more than 20 years. The PC in question was bought back when SATA was first created.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Transferring form Windows to Linux