Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Console Gaming › Playstation › How effective will GDDR5 be for the CPU?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How effective will GDDR5 be for the CPU? - Page 4

post #31 of 34
Power gating for eDRAM isn't as finely tuned as GDDR5. It was AMD that refined it first and I think that counts as a point. GDDR5 is fine, it gained the industry's approval and stood against the tide of Rambus. I think they know what they are doing.
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), MSI 6870 Hawx(RIP)... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), MSI 6870 Hawx(RIP)... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

Power gating for eDRAM isn't as finely tuned as GDDR5. It was AMD that refined it first and I think that counts as a point. GDDR5 is fine, it gained the industry's approval and stood against the tide of Rambus. I think they know what they are doing.

I'd guess there would have been problems with embedded RAM, I've been told that due to the high transistor count in the eSRAM that's being used by MS, its caused low yield and it has created manufacturing issues as too many of them have had defects. It's just what I've been told but it would explain those GPU downclocking rumors.

The very thing they seemed to brag about those 5 billion transistors is causing them issues, wonder how they're going to keep that thing cool in such a compact case, maybe they're using smaller transistors than in current hardware?
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteZHD View Post

I'd guess there would have been problems with embedded RAM, I've been told that due to the high transistor count in the eSRAM that's being used by MS, its caused low yield and it has created manufacturing issues as too many of them have had defects. It's just what I've been told but it would explain those GPU downclocking rumors.

The very thing they seemed to brag about those 5 billion transistors is causing them issues, wonder how they're going to keep that thing cool in such a compact case, maybe they're using smaller transistors than in current hardware?
Too bad, AMD's Graphics Chief Mr. Demers went to Qualcomm, then? (That company bought AMD's mobile devision, so no worries) I think he was the mastermind that foresaw HD4800 as a small die, low transistor delay design. They actually had an interview in which they called the decision a success.
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), MSI 6870 Hawx(RIP)... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), MSI 6870 Hawx(RIP)... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

Too bad, AMD's Graphics Chief Mr. Demers went to Qualcomm, then? (That company bought AMD's mobile devision, so no worries) I think he was the mastermind that foresaw HD4800 as a small die, low transistor delay design. They actually had an interview in which they called the decision a success.

I'll try to find that interview in the morning (already morning where I live, after sunrise then), lots of rumors flying around surrounding the XB1, firstly downclocking and yielding, now its an extra 4GB of RAM and a patch to increase the clock speed of the CPU. We'll see how it goes, thanks for your overall input though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Playstation
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Console Gaming › Playstation › How effective will GDDR5 be for the CPU?