Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › What's the best configuration for 3 disks?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's the best configuration for 3 disks? - Page 2

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post

I tried running iozone but I don't know how to interpret the results.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Code:
Random Write Report                                                                                                  
        4       8       16      32      64      128     256     512     1024    2048    4096    8192    16384
64      1828508 532815  673098  799377  969761                                                          
128     395104  571257  744820  895074  1007629 1051027                                                 
256     403237  588736  768712  985259  1058076 1147398 1175022                                         
512     405047  591951  802555  926116  1096322 1174254 1193838 1248678                                 
1024    400470  594969  806899  981750  1122924 1194770 1218843 1162433 1262926                         
2048    407495  624231  823436  1030733 1168252 1227869 1246579 1266614 1287304 1349174                 
4096    418044  616875  821853  1019951 1169668 1264917 1270436 1293683 1319518 1345667 1344298         
8192    1404168 646202  850576  1061147 1226309 1301564 1315114 1356066 1393236 1404915 1348455 1259761 
16384   1959393 1697288 3868728 1758349 1264485 1365898 1359898 1395948 1417194 1421121 2002969 4951396 4382115
32768   0       0       0       0       4564439 5768007 4878253 3705472 3558584 5052010 5071771 5063736 4493700
65536   0       0       0       0       5197574 5788389 5894517 6092988 6090693 6111140 5081504 5002345 4518134
131072  0       0       0       0       5112399 5795761 5842263 6046069 6106579 6145488 5174376 5157677 4516753
262144  0       0       0       0       5129496 5798750 5866383 6064771 6129312 6174332 5605068 5347382 4572062
524288  0       0       0       0       5274426 5827823 5848826 6072573 6202174 6166935 6078481 5377376 4636552

Assuming the values are in bytes and the top row is queue depth, 4K-QD4 is ~400KB/s. Doesn't really bode well for 4K-QD1 writes. That's definitely lower than typical single HDD performance.
Edited by rui-no-onna - 6/24/13 at 2:48pm
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkim624 View Post

Just run JBOD (if possible) if you want all 9tb (but no protection)
run raid 0 if you want maximum performance with 9 tb but 1/3 of data protection
run raid 1 if you want 3 times the data protection but only same performance
buy 1 more drive and run raid 10 for balanced performance and protection

you could run raid 5 but not really recommended unless you have dedicated raid card
slow read/write
hard to recover data (still possible)
if you change mobo, hard to move data around

I'm not sure it's 1/3 the protection. If you assume every hard drive purchased has a 10% chance to fail within a year, then they also have a 90% chance to NOT fail. If you run three of these with no redundancy, then you'd have (90^3) / (100^3), or 729 000 / 1 000 000, which reduces to 729 / 1000, or a 72.9% chance of surviving the first year and a 27.1% chance of failing. Similarly, parity among three drives would get you a 90% chance to survive the year and a 10% chance to not survive. So now you have (10^3) / (100^3), which gives you a .1% chance of total failure and a 99.9% chance of surviving. Please correct me if my math is off, but it's not 1/3 and 3 times the protection.
Triumvirate
(20 items)
 
Osmium
(8 items)
 
EleMINT 24
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E3-1226 v3 ASRock Z97M OC Formula Sapphire RX 480 (reference) MSI Low-Profile 750Ti 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston Blu Red - 2x4GB ADATA XPG - 2x4GB Crucial M500 960GB Samsung 840 250GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Cooler Master 212+ PNY Quadro 600 blower Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro ASUS VE247H - 1080p Gateway FPD1960 - 1280x1024 Rosewill RK9000I - Cherry MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Rosewill HIVE 650W Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Razer DeathAdder 2013 CyberPower 1500PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-7870K ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2x4GB @ 2400MT/s Samsung 840 120GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Evercool EC-HPS-810CP Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PicoPSU-120-WI-25 Mini-Box M350 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3-4005U OEM Intel HD 4200 4GB DDR3 (soldered) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
MyDigitalSSD Super Boot Eco 120GB Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 1366x768 TN panel :'( brick 
  hide details  
Reply
Triumvirate
(20 items)
 
Osmium
(8 items)
 
EleMINT 24
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Xeon E3-1226 v3 ASRock Z97M OC Formula Sapphire RX 480 (reference) MSI Low-Profile 750Ti 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston Blu Red - 2x4GB ADATA XPG - 2x4GB Crucial M500 960GB Samsung 840 250GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
WD Scorpio Blue 1TB Cooler Master 212+ PNY Quadro 600 blower Corsair H55 + Kraken G10 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro ASUS VE247H - 1080p Gateway FPD1960 - 1280x1024 Rosewill RK9000I - Cherry MX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseOther
Rosewill HIVE 650W Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Razer DeathAdder 2013 CyberPower 1500PFCLCD 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A10-7870K ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ G.Skill Ripjaws X - 2x4GB @ 2400MT/s Samsung 840 120GB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Evercool EC-HPS-810CP Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PicoPSU-120-WI-25 Mini-Box M350 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i3-4005U OEM Intel HD 4200 4GB DDR3 (soldered) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
MyDigitalSSD Super Boot Eco 120GB Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 1366x768 TN panel :'( brick 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post

Assume the values are in bytes and the top row is queue depth, 4K-QD4 is ~400KB/s. Doesn't really bode well for 4K-QD1 writes. That's definitely lower than typical single HDD performance.

The report description indicates "The top row is records sizes, the left column is file sizes"
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post

The report description indicates "The top row is records sizes, the left column is file sizes"

In that case, it's showing you that your random 4K writes range from ~400KB/s to ~2MB/s (column under 4).
Edited by rui-no-onna - 6/24/13 at 2:51pm
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the quick replies here. At this moment I don't have a dedicated box for the server, but I plan to build up to that point.

The reason I bought 3 drives was do to this being today's Shell Shocker and it was limited to 3 per customer. I'd just like to know that I'm getting the most from the drives for the time being.

They will be independant of the OS drive, and mainly for backing up here and there things from the main pc's in the house. I'll also be sharing my media files from this PC to 2-3 other sources for streaming of 1080p media, with some audio streaming as well.

This isn't anything overly demanding, but like every other project on OCN I just want the setup to be maximized. In all my years of owning PCs and building them myself I've only lost 1 hard drive, and that was on a 0+1 setup with 4 disks, so I was lucky. However, that's been years and I haven't lost another, is this something I should really be overly concerned about?

Thanks!
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silviastud View Post

They will be independant of the OS drive, and mainly for backing up here and there things from the main pc's in the house. I'll also be sharing my media files from this PC to 2-3 other sources for streaming of 1080p media, with some audio streaming as well.

This isn't anything overly demanding, but like every other project on OCN I just want the setup to be maximized. In all my years of owning PCs and building them myself I've only lost 1 hard drive, and that was on a 0+1 setup with 4 disks, so I was lucky. However, that's been years and I haven't lost another, is this something I should really be overly concerned about?

Given the drive densities we're dealing with, it's certainly something I'd be concerned about. I've got all my irreplaceable data in triplicate at least and while the media stuff is mostly replaceable, it's a major pain re-ripping/downloading 2-4TB worth of data in case of drive failure. This is why I mostly go with JBOD+parity for my media. I have the security of a parity drive to recover from a single drive failure but if I lose more than 1 drive, I don't lose my entire collection. However, I reckon drives are coming down in price enough that soon I'll just keep multiple copies and perhaps toy with distributed file systems.
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
How would I go about setting up this JBOD+Parity? My current 1.5tb drives are just spanned in Windows. What's the best way to JBOD or does it not matter?
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silviastud View Post

How would I go about setting up this JBOD+Parity? My current 1.5tb drives are just spanned in Windows. What's the best way to JBOD or does it not matter?

Right now, I use a dedicated unRAID server. I don't use Windows spanning since I've read somewhere that if you lose the first drive, it's possible to lose access to all your data (although I reckon recovery via software is possible but might be time consuming). Besides, I like each of the data disks having their own file system and being able to work independently of each other. I am, however, in the process of setting up either FlexRAID or SnapRAID for DVR purposes which would give me JBOD+parity similar to the unRAID server but instead of requiring its own bare metal install, will be running on top of Windows. tongue.gif
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › What's the best configuration for 3 disks?