Originally Posted by SlackerITGuy
It's being used by a bunch of people as i'm typing this, with good results as a matter of fact.
Just because a driver doesn't get released on any of the official NVIDIA channels, doesn't mean its fake. Drivers get leaked all the time, it's up to the user to install them or not, there's no need to question the legitimacy of a driver because of that.
When I had my GTX 470, one of the best drivers at the time, if the not the absolute best, was a Tesla one that never made it to the GeForce branch, and had to be downloaded from the NVIDIA developer's page and the modded to support GeForce cards.
So just to be clear:
* This driver will not be released on NVIDIA's website
* It was made by NVIDIA early this month to prepare for the release of Windows 8.1
* It's not a virus/trojan/etc
There's no way NVIDIA would pay for WHQL certification and then not release the driver. If it's not released on NVIDIA site, then something about it is fake even if the only thing that's fake about it is if it's WHQL or not.
Originally Posted by eXXon
1st, if you knew anything about the Internet, you'd know Guru3d is a reputable site.
2nd, leaked drivers not being on the official website has happened before.
3rd, No one is forcing you to download anything, or Overclock, or Overvolt for that matter.
1) Anyone can post on Guru3D and claim anything. The site itself is reputable, but trusting every member on the forums?
2) I can't recall a single time there has been a WHQL driver not released on the NVIDIA site. Beta, yes, Alpha, yes. Not WHQL. That's why this raises an eyebrow.
3) Exactly, so why care if other people are waiting for officially released drivers? People are just telling other people it may be fake and they aren't going to download, so who cares? If you want to download it, then well.. download it? If you don't.. then don't.
The file is probably safe, but one thing is for sure: If this is indeed WHQL it will
be posted on NVIDIA's site. It looks like it was pushed out onto the Windows 8.1 updates, so it should only be a matter of time until its on the official site for anyone that prefers to wait.Edited by Murlocke - 6/27/13 at 1:34am