Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › EVGA GTX 780 Watercooling Question(s)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EVGA GTX 780 Watercooling Question(s)

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hey all, I'm looking at two GTX 780's from EVGA: the reference SuperClock edition and the ACX SuperClock edition. Givin that the ACX has a metal plate attached to the PCB, does that rule out any full-cover waterblocks such as HeatKiller? I love the factory OC on that card, but from what I hear, pure GTX 780 reference is the way to go if I'm going to watercool. Any thoughts/tips/suggestions? Thank you!
post #2 of 9
All the GTX 780s are reference design as of this day. Just have to remove that metal plate.

Edit

There will be a GTX 780 Classified and Lightning version soon. There is an Asus DCII 780 making it's round in the wild.



 
Edited by MrTOOSHORT - 6/25/13 at 9:24pm
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

All the GTX 780s are reference design as of this day. Just have to remove that metal plate.

Edit

There will be a GTX 780 Classified and Lightning version soon. There is an Asus DCII 780 making it's round in the wild.



 

Thank you for that clarification. I assume that the new classified and lightning models will be custom PCB? Or did Nvidia say no to any of that?
post #4 of 9
Yep custom, just like the Asus DC II model.

Also, if you can save money on just the plain old reference clock GTX 780, just get that and overclock yourself. You can't hurt the card as they are voltage hard locked @1.215v max. Regular and OC editions have the same chance to hit higher clocks than each other.

No binning is involved.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

Yep custom, just like the Asus DC II model.

Also, if you can save money on just the plain old reference clock GTX 780, just get that and overclock yourself. You can't hurt the card as they are voltage hard locked @1.215v max. Regular and OC editions have the same chance to hit higher clocks than each other.

No binning is involved.

Given nvidia's pricing in the past, would you recommend waiting for these newer cards to come out so that the current 780's could drop in price?
post #6 of 9
Myself would wait just to get a card that can go past the 1.215v hard limit.

Then I'd have a GTX 780 that will be in the 1350MHz+ area.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

Myself would wait just to get a card that can go past the 1.215v hard limit.

Then I'd have a GTX 780 that will be in the 1350MHz+ area.

I'm pretty sure Nvidia has set a mandate that all voltage control is hardware locked on all Gtx 780 cards. What makes you think the new cards wouldn't be?
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

Myself would wait just to get a card that can go past the 1.215v hard limit.

Then I'd have a GTX 780 that will be in the 1350MHz+ area.

Mine only seems to go up to 1.200 with EVGA Precision X. With overvolt turned on, and the slider up as high as it can go. How do you get it higher?
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDurr View Post

I'm pretty sure Nvidia has set a mandate that all voltage control is hardware locked on all Gtx 780 cards. What makes you think the new cards wouldn't be?

Asus 780 still has the Hotwire soldering ports on it's pcb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbleston View Post

Mine only seems to go up to 1.200 with EVGA Precision X. With overvolt turned on, and the slider up as high as it can go. How do you get it higher?

Flash to a modded bios to get 1.2125v.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › EVGA GTX 780 Watercooling Question(s)