Originally Posted by twax462
This thread has done a majority of the legwork towards convincing me to get this case for my new build. That being said, I do have a few questions that don't necessarily pertain to this case, but rather what I'm hoping to do with this case so I figured I would just post them here. Hopefully no one minds. I've built a couple of computers in my day but nothing quite as complicated as what I'm intending to do with this build, particularly in regards to cooling. While it won't amount to much of anything compared to a lot of the great builds seen in this thread, it's still a bit more than I've tackled before and I could use a little guidance. I'm intending to cool my new build with a Corsair H100i in push/pull while also replacing all of the stock case fans. From what I've gathered from this thread, I ideally want 4 static pressure fans for the radiator, 3 static pressure fans for the front of the case as intake, and either a static pressure or airflow fan for the rear exhaust of the case. From there, things get a little fuzzy for me. I know that if I want to use the Corsair link software to control the fans on the radiator then those particular fans should PWM. However, I am unsure of whether or not the fans for the front intake need to be PWM or not, the same goes for the rear exhaust fan. I am also unclear as to how beneficial a fan controller would be to this particular setup, and if it is I'm not familiar enough with any of them to make a confident choice. I also don't really know how how the presence of a fan controller affects my decision in regards to whether or not the fans should be PWM variants. Should I just get a fan controller and connect all 8 fans to it, if that's even possible? Also, I am intending on getting either a gtx770 or a gtx780 for my new video card depending on the total cost of my new build. Given this particular case, am I better off getting a reference card with the exhaust out the back or am I ok getting a non-reference card such as the MSI Lightning or Galaxy HOF? Any help that anyone can provide on this would be greatly appreciated, my apologies for the long post.
TLDR: I need help with fan choices. HALP! Also, video card.
1. Dependant on your MB choice the H100i in push/pull will be a tight fit but I managed it with a Z87 Mpower. When I mean tight fit I mean the 8pin power connectors are house at the top of the board. No chance for bigger fans than 120 in push/pull. The case allows for a H110 aswell but no chance of push/pull with that cooler in this case IF you have the 8pins at the top,
2. I originally bought the normal 3 pins fans without realizing. My MB is all 4 pin fan headers but I had no issues just plugging them in and setting the fans to "Performance" mode in corsair link.
3. Ive ordered PWM SP fans 3x for front intakes, I already have 4x for the h100i. I have plugged my fans into the corsair cooling node and have had no issues thus far and removing some cables from the MB fan headers.
4. I kept the 4 fans in the h100i dedicated fan adaptors. Ive read a few issues with this corsair stuff and I did not update the h100i since it was working fine. The corsair link commander needed the firmware update to show up in the corsair link. No problems either.
5. I have temp sensors one behind the top rad filter and 1 behind the front intake filter measuring the air coming in. I also have a sensor in between my memory modules, next to my lower drives and near my gpu intake. Outside temps are 22.3 degrees C and inside ambient temps are 23 to 24 degrees C. My CPU is at dynamic setting slightly tweaked to get to 4.4 and temp never goes over 39 - 40 degrees thus far. WHen the CPU cores are at their lowest (800) then the temps are like 29 - 31 degrees c.
Great case and great cooling. Very neat looking.