Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Corsair Carbide Air 540 Owner's Club +Gallery
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Corsair Carbide Air 540 Owner's Club +Gallery - Page 584

post #5831 of 12460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisca View Post

Questions for owners:

  • Is there only HDD places next to the graphics cards on the bottom of the case? Nothing on the PSU side? Are these the "hot swap bays" mention in specs?
  • If it has a dust filter in the front, why are the fans included AF series and not SP? You want static pressure when restrictive filters are involved, right?
  • What material are the side panels? Front and top looks plastic.
  • Anyone have pics of a bare frame with everything stripped off? (for future cosmetic mods)
  • Is there any holes to mount a fan on the PSU side? Wondering if I could get some airflow going on there for extra HDDs.
  • That is correct. There are two 5.25" bays which you've already mentioned are on the bottom of the main, or 'bling' chamber. They are indeed hot-swappable. There is a 3.5" drive holder on the PSU side.
  • Can't answer that one. Cost maybe?
  • The side panels are steel; albeit thin still. The front and top facias are plastic over steel
  • Can't help you there sorry
  • There are no factory provisions for a fan on the PSU side
post #5832 of 12460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisca View Post

Questions for owners:

  • Is there only HDD places next to the graphics cards on the bottom of the case? Nothing on the PSU side? Are these the "hot swap bays" mention in specs?
  • If it has a dust filter in the front, why are the fans included AF series and not SP? You want static pressure when restrictive filters are involved, right?
  • What material are the side panels? Front and top looks plastic.
  • Anyone have pics of a bare frame with everything stripped off? (for future cosmetic mods)
  • Is there any holes to mount a fan on the PSU side? Wondering if I could get some airflow going on there for extra HDDs.


I'm considering this case since its dimensions allow me to shove it sideways in a rack and I can use long graphic cards without worrying HDD cages to be in the way. I'm going to need a minimum of two 3.5" HDD space and not sure if I'll migrate the older two HDDs also.

1) Yes that is all. There are 4 SSD slots on PSU side. They are Hotswap bays
2) Because they are cheaper and it would be up to you to replace them. Actually just guessing but that is probably it since this case is not $200
3) Side panels are metal(aluminum I think) and top and front are plastic
4) There are pics in this thread and in some build logs and also a google sketchup file.
5) There aren't any holes to mount a fan on the PSU side because the PSU fan sits right over that area.

I love this case and I haven't even gotten mine together yet. I am doing my transplant tonight into tomorrow. I am excited and ecstatic.
post #5833 of 12460
Thanks guys! Never really looked into this case because I don't like the aesthetics... at all, but this is pretty much the only option for my rack since rack case development and innovation is non-existent in the last decades or so. I'd love to strip it down and put rack ears on it.
post #5834 of 12460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayford5 View Post


3) Side panels are metal(aluminum I think) and top and front are plastic

I love this case and I haven't even gotten mine together yet. I am doing my transplant tonight into tomorrow. I am excited and ecstatic.

The chassis and panels are for sure steel.

Overall I think it's a good case given the price point. Aesthetics are purely subjective but I do like the more simplistic nature of the overall design. Reminds me a little of the Mountain Mods case I had way back when.

There are some disappointments for me though; the chief example being the 5.25" bays. I don't like that the cages are actually flanges bent out of the main chassis bottom. I would have liked the option to completely remove the bays and have a nice clean bottom. I did try a couple spinners in there but I think having something which vibrates attached rigidly to a large sheet of metal (motherboard tray) was a bad call. Mine vibrated noticeably with my WD Blues. The lack of dust filter doesn't bother me so much but it would have been nice to have something there.

Don't get me wrong - I'd still recommend it to a friend but I personally and wondering if there will be a revision of this design. If so, I'm a potential customer.
post #5835 of 12460
Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchupN1nja View Post

Work in progress.


I am very biased as a big ME fan but this stands out as one of the best 540's I've seen so far! I think you'd have to be a fan of ME or at least know what it is to really appreciate it but for me I like that it stands out with only some subtle changes.

applaud.gif
post #5836 of 12460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayford5 View Post

1) Yes that is all. There are 4 SSD slots on PSU side. They are Hotswap bays
2) Because they are cheaper and it would be up to you to replace them. Actually just guessing but that is probably it since this case is not $200
3) Side panels are metal(aluminum I think) and top and front are plastic
4) There are pics in this thread and in some build logs and also a google sketchup file.
5) There aren't any holes to mount a fan on the PSU side because the PSU fan sits right over that area.

I love this case and I haven't even gotten mine together yet. I am doing my transplant tonight into tomorrow. I am excited and ecstatic.

**Question 3**

The sides are of normal steel smile.gif Aluminium is too expensive to make. (Price point on 900D and Cosmos 2)
post #5837 of 12460
Thank you for the correction. I want sure as Im not a metal guy
post #5838 of 12460
People with 3x 120mm fans, do you have the fan filter behind the fans?


EDIT: looks like there's some confusion with some retailers on which side is up on the case so it might not fit sideways in a rack after all.

  • What kinda "feet" does it have and are they removable? Do they even measure the whole height with feet included.
  • The longest side seems to be 457mm (the side measured one end to the other across the fans). Anyone happen to know how much I could shave off of this length if I remove the feet and the "top" plastic panel where you'd put a close loop CPU cooling rad?

Edited by Tisca - 3/21/14 at 9:24am
post #5839 of 12460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisca View Post

People with 3x 120mm fans, do you have the fan filter behind the fans?


EDIT: looks like there's some confusion with some retailers on which side is up on the case so it might not fit sideways in a rack after all.

  • What kinda "feet" does it have and are they removable? Do they even measure the whole height with feet included.
  • The longest side seems to be 457mm (the side measured one end to the other across the fans). Anyone happen to know how much I could shave off of this length if I remove the feet and the "top" plastic panel where you'd put a close loop CPU cooling rad?

There is a user by the name of PcFoo who created a CAD document that shows the case in an exploded view with all the removable parts as individual pieces that you can move and manipulate. It should also have all the dimensions you are looking presented in a way that is more clear. I tried to find the post with a quick search, but I'm on a mobile phone and couldn't search too thoroughly. If I find it later I'll edit this post to include a link. I'm pretty sure it's at least 200+ pages back though, if not further.

I know it has the measurements you are asking about. And if the feet are removable, his diagram should indicate that as such.

I use 3x120mm fans, but I don't have any radiators in the front panel. I have the fans mounted on the inside of the case, with the filter in the factory installed position outside the case frame, but inside the front fascia. I suspect you're more curious about this in regards to people who have radiators located in the front panel though.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GH... ASUS Z170-PRO LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb... ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAM... G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertica... WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Driv... Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performan... Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS ROG PG278Q Black 27" WQHD 2560 x 1440, 144... Corsair K70 EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 Thermaltake Core X5 
Mouse
Logitech Proteus Core G502 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GH... ASUS Z170-PRO LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb... ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAM... G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertica... WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Driv... Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performan... Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS ROG PG278Q Black 27" WQHD 2560 x 1440, 144... Corsair K70 EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 Thermaltake Core X5 
Mouse
Logitech Proteus Core G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5840 of 12460
I'd be interested in this cad, I'll load it up in solid works and do some renders. smile.gif

Got my retention mount for my Corsair H110 coming, so I'll finish up my case soon and post pics. I'm not sure where my RMA fans are though.
I'm happy with the temps, there amazing! Even running miners on a stock cooler 4770k at 4.1-4.3ghz and highly overclocked gtx770 temps are less than with stock fans, with the 3 120mm Corsair SP's. I had a very mild OC'd AMD 1045t before for CPU.
Ryzen wide awake
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1700 MSI TomaHawk Arctic vega 56 Gskill TridentZ RGB 3600 c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
3tb hgst Mushkin 128gb ssd eco2 Corsair H110 Alphacool 280mm st30 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
ek evo block Win 10 MSI 27" 144hertz 1080p FREESYNC logitech g pro rgb 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX750 white paracord sleeved Corsair Air 540 logitech g403 wireless Glorious Pc XXL extended 36x18 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen wide awake
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1700 MSI TomaHawk Arctic vega 56 Gskill TridentZ RGB 3600 c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
3tb hgst Mushkin 128gb ssd eco2 Corsair H110 Alphacool 280mm st30 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
ek evo block Win 10 MSI 27" 144hertz 1080p FREESYNC logitech g pro rgb 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX750 white paracord sleeved Corsair Air 540 logitech g403 wireless Glorious Pc XXL extended 36x18 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Corsair Carbide Air 540 Owner's Club +Gallery