Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › 4670k vs 4770k in overclocking and batches...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4670k vs 4770k in overclocking and batches...

Poll Results: Which clocks better?

 
  • 26% (4)
    i5 4670k
  • 73% (11)
    i7 4770k
15 Total Votes  
post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
In 10 days I will get a haswell to overclock on phase change...
I was wondering if the i5s clock better or worse than the i7s...
I am planning on getting the i7, but the oerclocking potential is most important, so if the i5 clocks better I don't mind keeping 100$ in my pocket (and puting them towards the gpu)

Theory says that HT will lower the OC potential so the i5 should clock better. But my experience with Sandy Bridge shows that 2600k s were better binned and clocked with less voltage than 2500k s....so who knows?

Also, is there any indication of any batches that are slightly better or any ones to avoid like the plague?

Because of using phase change cooling, it is very important to get a good piece otherwise it will be very disappointing to go into all this trouble to cool the chip and it only reaching 5ghz for example...
post #2 of 10
If I had to take a bet, I would put the i7.

As it is clearly binned higher, as i5's are sometimes faulty i7's which dont meet the specification etc.

HT will need a bit moire voltage if the i5 overclocked EXACTLY the same, but I doubt that
     
CPUMotherboardRAMOptical Drive
AMD FX-6300 @ 4532MHz Gigabyte 970A UD3 Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb @1600MHz 8-8-8-24 LiteOn | IHOS104-06 BluRay Player 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Corsair | Hydro Series H100i Zalman | 120mm Led Fans x4 Windows | 7 Ultimate x64 Linux | Ubuntu 12:04 LTS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hitachi | 24" 70Hz Monitor Logitech | EX110 OCZ | ZT 550w Full Modular Zalman | Z9 Plus 
MouseAudioOther
DELL | Wireless Mouse Logitech | 5.1 Sound System TP-Link | TL-WN781ND Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardRAMOptical Drive
AMD FX-6300 @ 4532MHz Gigabyte 970A UD3 Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb @1600MHz 8-8-8-24 LiteOn | IHOS104-06 BluRay Player 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Corsair | Hydro Series H100i Zalman | 120mm Led Fans x4 Windows | 7 Ultimate x64 Linux | Ubuntu 12:04 LTS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hitachi | 24" 70Hz Monitor Logitech | EX110 OCZ | ZT 550w Full Modular Zalman | Z9 Plus 
MouseAudioOther
DELL | Wireless Mouse Logitech | 5.1 Sound System TP-Link | TL-WN781ND Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky7 View Post

In 10 days I will get a haswell to overclock on phase change...
I was wondering if the i5s clock better or worse than the i7s...
I am planning on getting the i7, but the oerclocking potential is most important, so if the i5 clocks better I don't mind keeping 100$ in my pocket (and puting them towards the gpu)

Theory says that HT will lower the OC potential so the i5 should clock better. But my experience with Sandy Bridge shows that 2600k s were better binned and clocked with less voltage than 2500k s....so who knows?

Also, is there any indication of any batches that are slightly better or any ones to avoid like the plague?

Because of using phase change cooling, it is very important to get a good piece otherwise it will be very disappointing to go into all this trouble to cool the chip and it only reaching 5ghz for example...

I have a i5 4670k and wish I had gotten the 4770k due to seeing many people easily get 4.7ghz to 4.9ghz on 1.20-1.3v Where im 4.5ghz at 1.248v. I have seen a few good i5's but many more i7 golden chips.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670k OC 4.5 at 1.248v asus z87-a msi 650ti boost  G.Skill Sniper 1600mhz xmp OC 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate LG SuperMulti Hyper 212 Evo Win 7 64bit 
PowerCase
Corsair 500w Rosswill Chalanger  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 4670k OC 4.5 at 1.248v asus z87-a msi 650ti boost  G.Skill Sniper 1600mhz xmp OC 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate LG SuperMulti Hyper 212 Evo Win 7 64bit 
PowerCase
Corsair 500w Rosswill Chalanger  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokercrate View Post

I have a i5 4670k and wish I had gotten the 4770k due to seeing many people easily get 4.7ghz to 4.9ghz on 1.20-1.3v Where im 4.5ghz at 1.248v. I have seen a few good i5's but many more i7 golden chips.

The word 'golden cpu' itself is overrated in general terms. Sandy Bridge had it's own variance in OC potential from batch to batch, Ivy Bridge the same way had it's ups and downs through out. Haswell has mostly Malay chips currently in the market and has had the largest variance in overclocking chips (mostly towards the bad side). It has come down to being only a few chips from a certain batch that can pull it off and till now, not many people have owned haswell to even touch those golden ones sitting on retail shelves.

Saying that i7 overclocks better than i5, well it all depends on the batch and not the series of the processor in Ivy and Haswell's generation. i5 just has the advantage of running cooler due to being no HT in it. Even though HT can be turned off in i7's, but then it would defeat the purpose of spending that extra $100.
post #5 of 10
many people easily get 4.7ghz to 4.9ghz on 1.20-1.3v???

Only a few, not many tongue.gif
Hatewell
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770k GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 5 2x MSI Nvidia GTX 680 Lightning Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex 3 120gb Samsung Evo 500GB Western Digital 3TB Corsair H110 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
BenQ XL2420T Corsair AX1200i Corsair Vengeance C70 Black Zowie AM 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer Scarab Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2 3x Corsair Air Series SP120 intake 1x Corsair Air Series AF120 exhaust 
  hide details  
Reply
Hatewell
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770k GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 5 2x MSI Nvidia GTX 680 Lightning Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Vertex 3 120gb Samsung Evo 500GB Western Digital 3TB Corsair H110 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
BenQ XL2420T Corsair AX1200i Corsair Vengeance C70 Black Zowie AM 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer Scarab Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2 3x Corsair Air Series SP120 intake 1x Corsair Air Series AF120 exhaust 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimindy21 View Post

many people easily get 4.7ghz to 4.9ghz on 1.20-1.3v???

Only a few, not many tongue.gif

I'm unaware of anyone else stabily running 4.9 outside of subzero cooling yet, besides me tongue.gif

But yeah, 4.7 is hard enough for most people, and they're usually well over 1.3v. Phase change is really going to be an advantage for you.
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlee05 View Post

I'm unaware of anyone else stabily running 4.9 outside of subzero cooling yet, besides me tongue.gif

But yeah, 4.7 is hard enough for most people, and they're usually well over 1.3v. Phase change is really going to be an advantage for you.

There are 2 things to consider however.
1) Phase change takes the heat issue out of the equation, but results show that this is not the only limiting factor...haswell chips overclock worse even under phase, so you have to battle with the architecture itself too, thus needing a "better" chip...

2) Assuming haswell has a 100-200mhz advantage over Ivy and the latter, another 100-200mhz over Sandy all else being equal, you need to take into consideration how well a sandy would overclock in the same situation...
I mean, a 2700k under phase would get me 5.5-5.7, this means I need to reach at least 5.1ghz with Haswell to make it remotely comparable, and to be honest, to make it worth it I would need 5.3 or close to that....otherwise I have the same performance as 3year old tech and only gained the better motherboard...

That's why getting a "good" chip matters a lot!

With air, if you can get to 4.6 you are good to go, because you wouldn't have 5ghz on sandy anyway....and if you reach 4.7-4.8 you are golden!
post #8 of 10
I have a 4670k (L310b515 batch) and I have a stable 4.8 ghz overclock (Vcore 1.28). I have a Corsair 100i with the fans running in balanced mode so fairly quiet. Temperatures during stress test (using AIDA64) momentarily spike up to 90 but typically hover around 65-70.

Judging by other peoples experience I've been lucky but there are some good 4670k chips out there (compared to the 4770k)
post #9 of 10
Quote:
 Phase change takes the heat issue out of the equation

 

4770k is to hot for most phase change units, you will do great single treath benchin, but multithreaded benchmarks will bring temps above zero at high clocks

post #10 of 10
Holy Necro post batman!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › 4670k vs 4770k in overclocking and batches...