Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Looking to renovate my loop, any suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to renovate my loop, any suggestions?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I'll be picking up some GTX780's to put under water once I do a bit more homework on blocks for them as well as replacing my i7 930 with a 3770k. Since I'm basically tearing this thing apart I thought I'd update my loop in any way that I could while I'm at it.

My loop typically keeps both my overvolted 580's under 60c and my 930 under 70 - with the exception being particularly hot days - and is as follows:
MCP-655 w/ EK Top > DD-GTX580 Chrome x2 > HWLabs GTX360 w/ 3x Delta AFB1212VHE's > EK Supreme HF AU > Swiftech Micro-Res



Rad up top blowing air out, pump in the lower HDD cage. Is there anything more I can do to increase my performance or is this pretty much as good as it gets without modifying the case? Would replacing the rear intake fan with a single rad make a noticeable difference? Would replacing the Delta's with these make a significant difference? Or can I make things a bit quieter without sacrificing performance? I don't really mind the noise of the fans but getting something a bit more discrete wouldn't hurt.

Have AIO processor solutions come far enough that I could have similar or better numbers with the processor, and leave the loop exclusively for the GPU's?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 4.2GHz HT ASUS Rampage III Extreme PNY GTX580 SLI 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Intel 520 1TB WDC Optiarc with lightscribe n stuff MCP-655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP-655 EK Top DangerDen GTX580 Chrome HWLabs GTX360 EK Supreme HF AU 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swiftech Micro-Res Windows 7 x64 Asus VG278HE HP LA2405wg 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX1000 Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Deathadder 2013 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer ExactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 4.2GHz HT ASUS Rampage III Extreme PNY GTX580 SLI 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Intel 520 1TB WDC Optiarc with lightscribe n stuff MCP-655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP-655 EK Top DangerDen GTX580 Chrome HWLabs GTX360 EK Supreme HF AU 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swiftech Micro-Res Windows 7 x64 Asus VG278HE HP LA2405wg 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX1000 Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Deathadder 2013 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer ExactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supacasey View Post

I'll be picking up some GTX780's to put under water once I do a bit more homework on blocks for them as well as replacing my i7 930 with a 3770k. Since I'm basically tearing this thing apart I thought I'd update my loop in any way that I could while I'm at it.

My loop typically keeps both my overvolted 580's under 60c and my 930 under 70 - with the exception being particularly hot days - and is as follows:
MCP-655 w/ EK Top > DD-GTX580 Chrome x2 > HWLabs GTX360 w/ 3x Delta AFB1212VHE's > EK Supreme HF AU > Swiftech Micro-Res



Rad up top blowing air out, pump in the lower HDD cage. Is there anything more I can do to increase my performance or is this pretty much as good as it gets without modifying the case? Would replacing the rear intake fan with a single rad make a noticeable difference? Would replacing the Delta's with these make a significant difference? Or can I make things a bit quieter without sacrificing performance? I don't really mind the noise of the fans but getting something a bit more discrete wouldn't hurt.

Have AIO processor solutions come far enough that I could have similar or better numbers with the processor, and leave the loop exclusively for the GPU's?

You're using SLI 580s and a CPU on a single 360 rad?

I'd install more radspace. If you don't want to modify the case, just make a radbox stand for it, there was a thread here a while ago for a homebuilt one, I'll find it in a sec. (Found it
http://www.overclock.net/t/1393336/radiator-box-a-differant-approach )

You could also probably drill some holes in the acrylic front panel, and get a 200mm fan+rad up front, which would add looks + performance.

You might be able to stick a single 120mm, or maybe even a 140mm fan/rad up front by the bay drives.

Replacing your fans with the ones you linked would help, but it would also make it a LOT louder. Those Delta's you linked have unholy power XD There is someone who made an RC hovercraft with them a while back. Still, it would be loud as hell, and you really should get some more radspace in there. The general rule is 120mm radspace per device, 120mm radspace per overclock, and 120mm radspace for some wiggle room or quieter fans.
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
What 780 blocks are you finding to be best? I like the Swiftech Komodo and XSPC so far but still undecided too.
Fresh Phenom 007
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k ASUS Maximus Impact 7 GTX 470 G.Skill Trident 2400 Cas 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Plextor M5 Western Digital 2.5" D5 Custom Loop Windows 8 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
50" HDTV Logitech K400R Silverstone SX-600-G Bitfenix Phenom M 
  hide details  
Reply
Fresh Phenom 007
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k ASUS Maximus Impact 7 GTX 470 G.Skill Trident 2400 Cas 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Plextor M5 Western Digital 2.5" D5 Custom Loop Windows 8 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
50" HDTV Logitech K400R Silverstone SX-600-G Bitfenix Phenom M 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

You're using SLI 580s and a CPU on a single 360 rad?

I'd install more radspace. If you don't want to modify the case, just make a radbox stand for it, there was a thread here a while ago for a homebuilt one, I'll find it in a sec. (Found it
http://www.overclock.net/t/1393336/radiator-box-a-differant-approach )

You could also probably drill some holes in the acrylic front panel, and get a 200mm fan+rad up front, which would add looks + performance.

You might be able to stick a single 120mm, or maybe even a 140mm fan/rad up front by the bay drives.

Replacing your fans with the ones you linked would help, but it would also make it a LOT louder. Those Delta's you linked have unholy power XD There is someone who made an RC hovercraft with them a while back. Still, it would be loud as hell, and you really should get some more radspace in there. The general rule is 120mm radspace per device, 120mm radspace per overclock, and 120mm radspace for some wiggle room or quieter fans.
I must've done something right because despite the fact that it's only a 360 it gets the job done. I unfortunately don't have the time to make my own radbox, nor am I particularly keen on segmenting my components like that. I might consider drilling the front but only if I could find a guide or someone else that had done it before, I like to keep things vanilla. Maybe I'll look into a 900D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilly007 View Post

What 780 blocks are you finding to be best? I like the Swiftech Komodo and XSPC so far but still undecided too.
It's looking like XSPC but I honestly might just go with the EVGA Hydrocopper's as the performance difference is somewhat negligible at higher flow rates and I get nervous as hell attaching waterblocks to GPU's.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 4.2GHz HT ASUS Rampage III Extreme PNY GTX580 SLI 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Intel 520 1TB WDC Optiarc with lightscribe n stuff MCP-655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP-655 EK Top DangerDen GTX580 Chrome HWLabs GTX360 EK Supreme HF AU 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swiftech Micro-Res Windows 7 x64 Asus VG278HE HP LA2405wg 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX1000 Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Deathadder 2013 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer ExactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 4.2GHz HT ASUS Rampage III Extreme PNY GTX580 SLI 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Intel 520 1TB WDC Optiarc with lightscribe n stuff MCP-655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP-655 EK Top DangerDen GTX580 Chrome HWLabs GTX360 EK Supreme HF AU 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swiftech Micro-Res Windows 7 x64 Asus VG278HE HP LA2405wg 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX1000 Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Deathadder 2013 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer ExactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supacasey View Post

I must've done something right because despite the fact that it's only a 360 it gets the job done. I unfortunately don't have the time to make my own radbox, nor am I particularly keen on segmenting my components like that. I might consider drilling the front but only if I could find a guide or someone else that had done it before, I like to keep things vanilla. Maybe I'll look into a 900D.
It's looking like XSPC but I honestly might just go with the EVGA Hydrocopper's as the performance difference is somewhat negligible at higher flow rates and I get nervous as hell attaching waterblocks to GPU's.


Well, your loop works so of course you did something right. Watercooling is all about building a rig that works for you, which you successfully did tongue.gif You're asking for recommendations on how to improve it, so that's what I gave. You're undervolting your GPUs, which will take temps down. You also have some of the most ridiculously powerful fans on the market on there biggrin.gif which is fine if you don't mind noise, but those buggers are loud!

Again, 120mm radspace per component. That's what you have, and you also have the Delta fans on there, which have a reputation for having unholy power. More radspace would definitely help though, and would allow you to have quieter fans. If you want quieter fans I'd avoid upgrading to the newer deltas. Those will be even louder, much louder infact. MUCH MUCH louder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilly007 View Post

What 780 blocks are you finding to be best? I like the Swiftech Komodo and XSPC so far but still undecided too.

Any GPU water cooling is more than enough. Most all modern cards have a locked voltage, which means when overclocking them you will reach the voltmax LONG before you reach thermal max when overclocking them while using any watercooling. Pick your GPU block based on quality and aesthetics.
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

Well, your loop works so of course you did something right. Watercooling is all about building a rig that works for you, which you successfully did tongue.gif You're asking for recommendations on how to improve it, so that's what I gave. You're undervolting your GPUs, which will take temps down. You also have some of the most ridiculously powerful fans on the market on there biggrin.gif which is fine if you don't mind noise, but those buggers are loud!

Again, 120mm radspace per component. That's what you have, and you also have the Delta fans on there, which have a reputation for having unholy power. More radspace would definitely help though, and would allow you to have quieter fans. If you want quieter fans I'd avoid upgrading to the newer deltas. Those will be even louder, much louder infact. MUCH MUCH louder.
Any GPU water cooling is more than enough. Most all modern cards have a locked voltage, which means when overclocking them you will reach the voltmax LONG before you reach thermal max when overclocking them while using any watercooling. Pick your GPU block based on quality and aesthetics.

I just meant that as a way of saying despite the relatively low total rad space it seems to have worked fairly well. My guess would be because of the Delta's. I know those other Delta's would be a little more than twice as loud and that's pretty hard to imagine. My GPU's are also overvolted, not undervolted.

Assuming I get a 900D, I'd be able to fit a lot more radness in there, so I could probably pull off the silent approach. Any recommendations for rads or fans in that regard?
Edited by Supacasey - 7/2/13 at 4:45am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 4.2GHz HT ASUS Rampage III Extreme PNY GTX580 SLI 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Intel 520 1TB WDC Optiarc with lightscribe n stuff MCP-655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP-655 EK Top DangerDen GTX580 Chrome HWLabs GTX360 EK Supreme HF AU 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swiftech Micro-Res Windows 7 x64 Asus VG278HE HP LA2405wg 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX1000 Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Deathadder 2013 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer ExactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 4.2GHz HT ASUS Rampage III Extreme PNY GTX580 SLI 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Intel 520 1TB WDC Optiarc with lightscribe n stuff MCP-655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP-655 EK Top DangerDen GTX580 Chrome HWLabs GTX360 EK Supreme HF AU 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swiftech Micro-Res Windows 7 x64 Asus VG278HE HP LA2405wg 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX1000 Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Deathadder 2013 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer ExactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Anyone else have any insight?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 4.2GHz HT ASUS Rampage III Extreme PNY GTX580 SLI 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Intel 520 1TB WDC Optiarc with lightscribe n stuff MCP-655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP-655 EK Top DangerDen GTX580 Chrome HWLabs GTX360 EK Supreme HF AU 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swiftech Micro-Res Windows 7 x64 Asus VG278HE HP LA2405wg 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX1000 Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Deathadder 2013 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer ExactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 4.2GHz HT ASUS Rampage III Extreme PNY GTX580 SLI 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Intel 520 1TB WDC Optiarc with lightscribe n stuff MCP-655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP-655 EK Top DangerDen GTX580 Chrome HWLabs GTX360 EK Supreme HF AU 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swiftech Micro-Res Windows 7 x64 Asus VG278HE HP LA2405wg 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX1000 Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Deathadder 2013 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer ExactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supacasey View Post

I just meant that as a way of saying despite the relatively low total rad space it seems to have worked fairly well. My guess would be because of the Delta's. I know those other Delta's would be a little more than twice as loud and that's pretty hard to imagine. My GPU's are also overvolted, not undervolted.

Assuming I get a 900D, I'd be able to fit a lot more radness in there, so I could probably pull off the silent approach. Any recommendations for rads or fans in that regard?



doh.gif Oh wow, my bad XD


Anywho, the best rads for quiet seem to be the Alphacool UT45, UT60 (if you can do push/pull) and the Alphacool Monsta (if you can do push/pull)

Personally, I like the Black Ice GTX rads, which would be the route to go if you don't mind a bit louder fans. They have a 28fin per inch split fin design, so they're rather restrictive, but they are really nice in performance, and B.I. has a reputation for really well made cooling.
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
The Laboratory
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Radeon R9 290X Generic 1333MHz R.A.M. 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Wester Digital 5400RPM HP CH20L "The Russian Winter" Windows 8 
KeyboardPowerCase
Steel Series Merc Fatal1ty 1000Watt PSU DIY Rig 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
The UT60 looks like it wins out at almost any fan speed so I'llmost likely be going with those. I'm thinking a 480 at the bottom, 360 at the top. Would my MCP-655 provide sufficient power?

Any thoughts on fans? I've been looking at the Corsair SP120 Quiets but obviously I'm open to suggestion.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 4.2GHz HT ASUS Rampage III Extreme PNY GTX580 SLI 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Intel 520 1TB WDC Optiarc with lightscribe n stuff MCP-655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP-655 EK Top DangerDen GTX580 Chrome HWLabs GTX360 EK Supreme HF AU 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swiftech Micro-Res Windows 7 x64 Asus VG278HE HP LA2405wg 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX1000 Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Deathadder 2013 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer ExactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 4.2GHz HT ASUS Rampage III Extreme PNY GTX580 SLI 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
240GB Intel 520 1TB WDC Optiarc with lightscribe n stuff MCP-655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP-655 EK Top DangerDen GTX580 Chrome HWLabs GTX360 EK Supreme HF AU 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Swiftech Micro-Res Windows 7 x64 Asus VG278HE HP LA2405wg 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Eclipse Corsair HX1000 Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Deathadder 2013 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer ExactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Looking to renovate my loop, any suggestions?