Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › How to diagnose laptop problems?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How to diagnose laptop problems?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hello guys!
I've been given a laptop from a friend, and I should try to fix it.
I'm usually good at PC fixing but I'm kind of helpless this time.

The laptop gives no signs of life. No lights, it doesn't turn on even with a brand new power supply.
My idea was opening it and see if I can find some traces of burned components, is there any better ways to check where's the problem?

Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3viliz3d View Post

Hello guys!
I've been given a laptop from a friend, and I should try to fix it.
I'm usually good at PC fixing but I'm kind of helpless this time.

The laptop gives no signs of life. No lights, it doesn't turn on even with a brand new power supply.
My idea was opening it and see if I can find some traces of burned components, is there any better ways to check where's the problem?

Thanks in advance!

If you are 100% sure the power supply works, and try it again to make sure. Sounds like a motherboard issue. I would try again before opening a cans of worms you might not want to get yourself into.

Remove the battery, leave the power supply in. Try to boot it up. If this fails, open her up and start investigating.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3htal View Post

If you are 100% sure the power supply works, and try it again to make sure. Sounds like a motherboard issue. I would try again before opening a cans of worms you might not want to get yourself into.

Remove the battery, leave the power supply in. Try to boot it up. If this fails, open her up and start investigating.

Thanks for your replky.
I already tried everything, removed the battery, changed power supply. It's completely dead.

Guess I'm ready to venture between the worms biggrin.gif
post #4 of 7
Depends on the model of laptop:

DC in jack is either soldered onto the motherboard or connects by a wire. You could try a replacement dc-in jack if that is the case. Check the light on the ac adapter when it is plugged into the system, if it goes dim or turns off when its plugged into the system, it is a good indication that the dc jack or motherboard needs to be replaced.

If that isn't an option, or if the ac adapter light stays on, remove memory and storage drives and try powering on just to get diagnostic indicators. If it still won't power up, it is likely the motherboard. If it gives you lights, start adding components back one by one until it won't power on again. One memory stick at a time, and if it fails, try the other stick in the other slot. Memory points of failure are the dimms and the dimm slots. Hard drive point of failure is the drive itself and the SATA connector. Hard drives typically don't keep a system from posting, but I've seen stranger things happen.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3viliz3d View Post

Thanks for your replky.
I already tried everything, removed the battery, changed power supply. It's completely dead.

Guess I'm ready to venture between the worms biggrin.gif

Good luck. thumb.gif
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Toilet View Post

Depends on the model of laptop:

DC in jack is either soldered onto the motherboard or connects by a wire. You could try a replacement dc-in jack if that is the case. Check the light on the ac adapter when it is plugged into the system, if it goes dim or turns off when its plugged into the system, it is a good indication that the dc jack or motherboard needs to be replaced.

If that isn't an option, or if the ac adapter light stays on, remove memory and storage drives and try powering on just to get diagnostic indicators. If it still won't power up, it is likely the motherboard. If it gives you lights, start adding components back one by one until it won't power on again. One memory stick at a time, and if it fails, try the other stick in the other slot. Memory points of failure are the dimms and the dimm slots. Hard drive point of failure is the drive itself and the SATA connector. Hard drives typically don't keep a system from posting, but I've seen stranger things happen.

Great directions, thanks! I'll come back with news as I proceed.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
An update: with a tester I measured the tension in and out of the DC jack, and everything is fine, so I guess the MoBo is gone.
Sadly, and used one can be found for 100€ so I guess I will give up and tell my friend to look for a new notebook redface.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › How to diagnose laptop problems?