Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Should I buy a used i7-920 or something new?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I buy a used i7-920 or something new? - Page 4

post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by I8THEBONES View Post

So it's speculation that the FX-6300 at 4.0 Ghz is slower than the FX-8350 at 4.0 Ghz (which I showed is slower than the i7-920 at 4.0 Ghz)?

You're the one who wanted proof that the i7-920 has higher IPC than the FX-6300; IPC is not measured at stock since both of these CPUs are clocked at different speeds at stock.

IPC does not scale the same across different architectures. You should have learned that from Netburst. Thus, saying IPC is measured at clock for clock between different architectures is an invalid statement.
Edited by computerparts - 7/4/13 at 12:58pm
post #32 of 38
double
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7-2nr View Post

Here is a fact as well, the 920 is better than a 6300.

The truth hurts doesn't it? Nothing wrong in admitting the FX-6300 beats out that i7-920 of yours especially considering how old it is.
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerparts View Post

IPC does not scale the same across different architectures. You should have learned that from Netburst. Thus, saying IPC is measured at clock for clock between different architectures is an invalid statement.
No, that's exactly what IPC means.
Better than AMD
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 Ghz Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI Zotac GTX 970 16 GB DDR3 @ 1860 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO DVD-RW Hyper 212+ Win 7 Pro 
PowerCase
Corsair GS700 HAF-912 
  hide details  
Reply
Better than AMD
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 @ 3.91 Ghz Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI Zotac GTX 970 16 GB DDR3 @ 1860 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO DVD-RW Hyper 212+ Win 7 Pro 
PowerCase
Corsair GS700 HAF-912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 38
I would say just get a 6300 beacuse it is faster,lower power consumption, and lower heat.
(http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-920-vs-AMD-FX-6300)
Ihe fx-6300 would also be cheaper because of power consumption.

But if you go for that get a fx-6350.
First Rig
(23 items)
 
Toshiba laptop
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx-6300 gigabyte ud3 amd powercolor 7950 team  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
team 500g seagate 1 TB Samsung sp600 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
sp 256gb sony x24 thermaltake frio win7 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
sony 24in 1080p 3d hp 1600x900 samsung LED 1600x900 cooler master quik fire tk blues 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
evga 1000w PS air 540 steelseries Rival pcmastinggamingrace xxl 
AudioAudioAudio
mackie cr3 bose around the ears audio technica m30s 
CPURAMHard DriveOptical Drive
a6-3400m 6g toshiba 640g toshiba blu-ray 
OSMonitorMouseAudio
win 8 1600x900 17in logitech m570 right speaker 
  hide details  
Reply
First Rig
(23 items)
 
Toshiba laptop
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx-6300 gigabyte ud3 amd powercolor 7950 team  
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
team 500g seagate 1 TB Samsung sp600 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
sp 256gb sony x24 thermaltake frio win7 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
sony 24in 1080p 3d hp 1600x900 samsung LED 1600x900 cooler master quik fire tk blues 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
evga 1000w PS air 540 steelseries Rival pcmastinggamingrace xxl 
AudioAudioAudio
mackie cr3 bose around the ears audio technica m30s 
CPURAMHard DriveOptical Drive
a6-3400m 6g toshiba 640g toshiba blu-ray 
OSMonitorMouseAudio
win 8 1600x900 17in logitech m570 right speaker 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 38
Question is used vs new. For the purposes listed by the OP. Benchmarks are not real world, indications yes. Definitive for a specific build or purpose, no.
Both would be good builds for the purpose. Prices, Generation 1 i7s have been selling low.
New builds tend to push the "spend more get more" button for many people.
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerparts View Post

The truth hurts doesn't it? Nothing wrong in admitting the FX-6300 beats out that i7-920 of yours especially considering how old it is.

You can keep saying that all you want and it doesnt make it any more true. Compare stock vs stock, sure the brand new 6300 is faster than a 4 going on 5 year old i7 roughly half the time. Is that really what you are trying to prove? If so, you can have it. Dont be angry that the best AMD currently has is competitive with a 5 year old Intel CPU. Hey look I can be snarky as well.

Overclock the i7 even a tiny bit and it will beat it. Overclock both CPUs as far as you can get them and the 920 will absolutely smoke it. The reason the 920 is still being used is because they overclock so much. Very convenient of you to say "ohh well stock vs stock" to make your argument, but it doesnt make you correct because even stock vs stock the 6300 only has an advantage about half the time.

Please remember you are on an overclocking site.

An overclocked 920 is much more on par with an 8350. 6300 is miles behind.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/1
Edited by RX7-2nr - 7/4/13 at 5:49pm
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7-2nr View Post

You can keep saying that all you want and it doesnt make it any more true. Compare stock vs stock, sure the brand new 6300 is faster than a 4 going on 5 year old i7 roughly half the time. Is that really what you are trying to prove? If so, you can have it. Dont be angry that the best AMD currently has is competitive with a 5 year old Intel CPU. Hey look I can be snarky as well.

Overclock the i7 even a tiny bit and it will beat it. Overclock both CPUs as far as you can get them and the 920 will absolutely smoke it. The reason the 920 is still being used is because they overclock so much. Very convenient of you to say "ohh well stock vs stock" to make your argument, but it doesnt make you correct because even stock vs stock the 6300 only has an advantage about half the time.

Please remember you are on an overclocking site.

An overclocked 920 is much more on par with an 8350. 6300 is miles behind.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/1

Overclocking is a bonus, not a given. You never know exactly how much your cpu will overclock. In some cases it won't overclock at all, even if it's an extreme edition!

That's just life. You buy a CPU that is as fast as you need, and then you overclock farther if you want to. You don't buy with the expectation that overclocking will make it as fast as you need despite stock being too low.


At any rate, no one is trying to argue that the 920 wasn't a great cpu for it's time, or that it isn't still viable for people who already own them, but this is 2013, not 2008. There is simply no good reason to use one in a new build today.
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Tempest
(14 items)
 
Fukurou
(18 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 980x GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning ASUS Geforce GTX 560ti DCII 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX T1 Intel X25-M WD Caviar Black FASS Plextor M5S 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
WD Velociraptor WD Caviar Black FALS Sony DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe LG Bluray + HDDVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Black Ice GTX 360 Black Ice GTX 240 Panaflo High Speed - Push-Pull w/ shrouds Windows 7 Pro (64) 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu (64) X-Star DP2710 ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms LCD X-Armor U9BL (Mech) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 1000 P2 Cooler Master HAF 932 Razer Deathadder Chroma Cougar Control 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
ATH-A900X Maudio AV-40 Polk PSW-10 Zalman Mic-1 (Clip-on Mic) 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Sound Blaster X7 LE Logitech G13 Wacom Intuos 3 Scythe "3-Foot Switch" 
Other
Modded PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and Logitech PC Cont... 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Conroe Core GTX 280 (Temporarily Removed) 4GB Corsair XMS2 150GB Raptor X 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
WD Caviar 160GB Vista Home Premium 64bit Ubuntu Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Cyborg Zalman 1000 watt Apevia X-Discovery Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Mantis Control Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64 LG 47in LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudioOtherOther
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. Dual TV-Tuner card Comcast decoder card. 
Other
Fios decoder card. 
  hide details  
Reply
Arcane
(33 items)
 
Tempest
(14 items)
 
Fukurou
(18 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 980x GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning ASUS Geforce GTX 560ti DCII 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX T1 Intel X25-M WD Caviar Black FASS Plextor M5S 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
WD Velociraptor WD Caviar Black FALS Sony DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe LG Bluray + HDDVD 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Black Ice GTX 360 Black Ice GTX 240 Panaflo High Speed - Push-Pull w/ shrouds Windows 7 Pro (64) 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Ubuntu (64) X-Star DP2710 ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms LCD X-Armor U9BL (Mech) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA 1000 P2 Cooler Master HAF 932 Razer Deathadder Chroma Cougar Control 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
ATH-A900X Maudio AV-40 Polk PSW-10 Zalman Mic-1 (Clip-on Mic) 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Sound Blaster X7 LE Logitech G13 Wacom Intuos 3 Scythe "3-Foot Switch" 
Other
Modded PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and Logitech PC Cont... 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Conroe Core GTX 280 (Temporarily Removed) 4GB Corsair XMS2 150GB Raptor X 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
WD Caviar 160GB Vista Home Premium 64bit Ubuntu Samsung 226BW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Cyborg Zalman 1000 watt Apevia X-Discovery Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Mantis Control Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i5-661 GA-H55-USB3 12GB DDR3 1333 WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD) Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner H50 (With push/pull nocturas) 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 64 LG 47in LED LCD Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless Seasonic X750 Gold 
CaseAudioOtherOther
CM690 II Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp. Dual TV-Tuner card Comcast decoder card. 
Other
Fios decoder card. 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Should I buy a used i7-920 or something new?