Update III - 07/21/2013 - Blade Running It Down The Drain And A Shade Of Jade
A big update this time. Cleaning and draining out Nardis (dat dust), mixing coolants, rebuilding the loop for two CPUs and leak testing/bleeding
So the time has finally come, Nardis is no longer. This was the state it was in before I pulled out the plug
Just look at all that dust accumulated on the rad. Surprisingly though, this was the area with the least amount of dust except for the hardware itself thanks to the 90deg rotation design (stack effect).
It was time to put the system out of its misery
Normally you do this shortly after birth, no ?
A couple of minutes later the deed had been done?
He's dead Jim... (Click to show)
I was positively surprised at how few staining there was. No staining on the block, a bit in the 2nd compartment of my Koolance RP-452X2 due to there being no flow and some clouding in the tubes.
You probably remember me asking you to choose between 3 options for coolant if you've been following this log prior to this update, well the conclusion is that I went with none of the options. I asked some good friends for their input via PMs and none of them were really satisfying. The white plain coolant was a bit ... well ... plain for this build. The grey/purple cooalnt was not popular and all and can be regarded as a fail on my part. Lastly, I spent quite some time going with the light blue option because you guys were so fond of it. Though after asking some members for their input they thought it would be too much blue in this build.
I asked Mick from Mayhems for input and he responded by sending me a package containing the material to make the grey I wished for initially. Obviously refusing was not an option. Mick is truly an asthete's best friend. Thanks a lot Mick for this excellent service
White + Red + Green = Grey, Because Red + Green = Brown???
So this was included in the package that I received from Mick
Some Pastel Ice White Concentrate 250mL of nanofluid, Emerald Green dye and Red dye from Mayhems. Awesome stuff, I felt as happy as a little kid that got a set of crayons to play with
Those Colors... (Click to show)
So naturally the first thing you do, is playing with the colors of course ... erm, I mean doing science regarding the reflection of light
Mayhems Red dye
Mayhems Emerald Green dye
Mayhems Emerald Green + Mahems Red = Brown?
So yeah, that was as expected, but apparently when you add the Pastel nanofluid this ceases to hold. As you'd expect from science, when something seems too simple you were doing it wrong
That's my science! (Click to show)
*cough* Time to get back on track ...
Okay, to make the grey coolant I first needed to set up the Ice White base.
My apologies in advance for US readers, I'll be using SI units...
750mL of distilled water...
Close Enough (Click to show)
...plus 250mL of Pastel Ice White concentrate...
...gets you the Ice White Pastel base.
Then I basically dropped in 1 drop of Red dye and balanced it out empirically with Emerald Green dye. I honestly lost count. Alas the pictures of the mixing were heavily underlighted and are not representble, sorry for that ...
I can however show you the intermediate results
Balanced too much towards Green...
Adding some more Green and predominantly Red yields this. I went with this as the final result
I was pretty satisfied with the color match at this point so I proceeded with the assembly.
First of all, I actually wanted an aluminum Lian Li case for this build but my budget didn't stretch that far. Each time I do a new build, I'm confronted with how pathetic the internal space of the RV01 is despite being overly large in dimensions...
Fair enough, first things first.
I started with assembling the rad and fans essentially the same way as I had it with Nardis, except for the colors of the rings on the fans -- yay for variable colors
I left the wiring for the fans the same as well. Really convenient!
Perfect fit again at the back of the case
Then I reinstalled the Swiftech MCP-655 pump in the Koolance RP-452X2 res after cleaning them both
And I started preparing the motherboard, CPU and RAM for assembly in the case
At this point I made a very hard fail that took quite some time at a further stage to fix. I'll leave it up to you guys to spot where I went wrong
This time, both Xeons received an equal amount of love. After all, love is a game for two .
And now the hellish part...
Getting this monsterous SSI-EEB board to fit in my RV01. It wasn't easy I tell you. I cut my hands, had to route cables in a not preferable way mostly due to the 90º rotation design...
My man, Hukkel, is working hard so that we don't have to see those ugly yellow cables again
More yellow cables
Routing the tubing, and bothfails resolved
Time to fill 'er up...
... was what I though. I immediately encountered a leak at this point which I'm still busy with to clean since it fell in the front of the case where access is restricted. It was a bad fitting that I bought last week, luckily I got 6
Completely filled, the tint was too light for my taste so I continued mixing in the loop again balancing out Red and Green. Do note however that my camera does not capture the nanofluid well. Perhaps this is als what went wrong when I photographed the mixing process. It looks green here but it was definitely a well balanced out grey...
As you can see, even the block reflects a different color. That one is closer to the real thing though.
Darker shade kicking in -- disclaimer: the following lines are primarily intended as bezel correction for the tubing in the 2 pictures
As you can see the coolant matches the rubber parts on the SP120s
Fifty Shades of Grey!
I've been leak testing and bleeding the loop for approx. 6hrs now, so far so good.
Thanks again for reading. I'll have another update this week I think. This is not the final form of the build
To be continued...
Edited by TheBlademaster01 - 9/3/13 at 2:32pm