Originally Posted by Domino
Originally Posted by DuckieHo
Originally Posted by andrews2547
Most likely from a faulty outlet. The cable only send 5v so it wouldn't have been deadly, just annoying.
The only way the current could kill her was if it somehow punctured her skin and traveled across her heart.
What does it have to do with puncturing your skin? Your body is not protected by some wonderful rubberized protective skin coating.
The device is suppose to be grounded if it's connected to an outlet. It's more due to a faulty ground somewhere (either in the design of the charger/iPhone or the outlet itself, but even then, it's hard to tell if it was actually the outlet itself based on fan defensive speculation). If the shortest means of electrical transfer was through the iPhone device, that's rather a faulty design. Cable? Must have had been some cheap plastic.
As someone who was been shocked regularly by outlet power (mac chargers aren't the best designed) an AC shock from an outlet is so unlikely to kill you.
I mean, it has to travel through the charger (which should stop it), the USB wire (which should melt from the sudden ~220v) and then the phone circuit into the metal. AND THEN through your fingers, up your arm etc. into your heart. The skin's resistance is about 5,000 to 15,000 ohms, therefore the total resistance of that 'circuit' is a lot.It takes ~200mAH to fatally damage the heart
, that means the current from the USB charger needs to be at least 40% efficient in getting to your heart (USB outputs 500mAH) - and I somehow doubt that.
Therefore I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye.