New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Debian vs Fedora

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I have always used a Debian based distro. Right now I'm using Mint 15 and have used Ubuntu in the past. I am thinking about trying Fedora 19 and so my question. Are there any major differences that I should be aware of? I'm still a noob when it comes to the filesystem, is it the same as Debian?
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirIsaacNewton View Post

Right now I'm using Mint 15 and have used Ubuntu in the past.

You're technically still using Ubuntu. wink.gif

Only major difference between Debian and Fedora distro's would be package management. The majority of the file system hierarchy should still be the same, or close to. Every so often though you might find a file that isn't where it should be, but all that is documented. And of course default packages are going to be different. Fedora ships with SELinux installed and enabled by default along with some other 'hardening' software to make things more secure by default. Just be aware of that, as SELinux is known to be a little too strict sometimes and may interfere with some software.
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

You're technically still using Ubuntu. wink.gif

Only major difference between Debian and Fedora distro's would be package management. The majority of the file system hierarchy should still be the same, or close to. Every so often though you might find a file that isn't where it should be, but all that is documented. And of course default packages are going to be different. Fedora ships with SELinux installed and enabled by default along with some other 'hardening' software to make things more secure by default. Just be aware of that, as SELinux is known to be a little too strict sometimes and may interfere with some software.

SELinux is a PAIN!!!!! OHHHH I HATES IT! I think that's all it really comes with for the most part though, that's all I disable. boot peramater is selinux=0? Oh I could check my grub config, it's something like that. There is also a config file somewhere on the system too.

Anyways, I'd say the biggest thing is that debian tends to be a little less "fresh" than Fedora. All in all, they are both pretty good and solid. Speed wise, Fedora has caught up a lot and so I'd say they are almost equally good. A few minor things here and there between the two but otherwise Shrak's right. Mainly package management.

If you get into kernel/building custom packages (I like it, better than "make install" as it's easier to clean out later) then you'll notice a huge difference. Debian has more automated solutions for making packages from source. Better? Ehhh, depends. That is also still package management.

One other thing is Fedora has a very nice installer, though I believe Debian upgrades better. I'm speaking pure Debian, not Mint/Ubuntu derivatives (Ubuntu is pulling away more now, as it's actually using custom software instead of re-packaged debian stuff). So in that sense, I've never had a problem doing an update when debian moves releases around. I haven't with Fedora either but I've only done one update. I've read Anaconda isn't the friendliest nor is the package manager when a new release hits. But I also use Testing/Sid in Debian soooooooo....

Just expanding a bit on the differences that to me that are large ones. Oh and Debian is generally behind in kernel releases, Fedora isn't but that generally doesn't affect many people. Unless you have hardware specific bugs.
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
Package management and the desktop environment (Many distros modify DEs for their own purpose) should be the only major differences
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noskcaj View Post

Package management and the desktop environment (Many distros modify DEs for their own purpose) should be the only major differences

There isn't usually that much difference between the same DEs on different distros - but the default choice of DE can vary quite a bit (particularly these days with the mixed reaction that GNOME3 has received)

The differences between Fedora and Debian do run quite a bit deeper though, Debian is sloooooow to roll out updates on "stable" (which is why many desktop users run "testing"). Where as Fedora is bleeding edge. Then you sysvinit vs systemd (which that in itself is quite a big difference) and SELinux (again, quite a big difference).

So there are quite a few big differences despite the base still being GNU/Linux.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirIsaacNewton View Post

I have always used a Debian based distro. Right now I'm using Mint 15 and have used Ubuntu in the past. I am thinking about trying Fedora 19 and so my question. Are there any major differences that I should be aware of? I'm still a noob when it comes to the filesystem, is it the same as Debian?

I too am a Debian\Debian based distro user (using Bodhi, Linux Lite, and Macpup precise). I am not knockin on Fedora, not at all, but I found the package manager to be to umm ... different for my liking. The "filesystem" is pretty much the same i guess, if you mean the layout and hierarchy of folders and such ... Fedora uses RPM packages if i am not mistaken (I only used version 17 for a like month for web browsing and playing urban terror) and the repos arent as big as Ubuntus, plus adding "nonfree" stuff is not as easy as Ubuntu.

All I can really say is to just try it out and see if you like it. I try like a different "distro" a week, freeBSD included, and always go back to Ubuntu (or Ubuntu based distro) and Debian.
Edited by SulumorDNA - 7/18/13 at 11:24am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulumorDNA View Post

I too am a Debian\Debian based distro user (using Bodhi, Linux Lite, and Macpup precise). I am not knockin on Fedora, not at all, but I found the package manager to be to umm ... different for my liking. The "filesystem" is pretty much the same i guess, if you mean the layout and hierarchy of folders and such ... Fedora uses RPM packages if i am not mistaken (I only used version 17 for a like month for web browsing and playing urban terror) and the repos arent as big as Ubuntus, plus adding "nonfree" stuff is not as easy as Ubuntu.

All I can really say is to just try it out and see if you like it. I try like a different "distro" a week, freeBSD included, and always go back to Ubuntu (or Ubuntu based distro) and Debian.

Fedora has smaller official repos compared to debian but some massive 3rd party ones. Adding the major ones is as easy as installing packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

There isn't usually that much difference between the same DEs on different distros - but the default choice of DE can vary quite a bit (particularly these days with the mixed reaction that GNOME3 has received)

The differences between Fedora and Debian do run quite a bit deeper though, Debian is sloooooow to roll out updates on "stable" (which is why many desktop users run "testing"). Where as Fedora is bleeding edge. Then you sysvinit vs systemd (which that in itself is quite a big difference) and SELinux (again, quite a big difference).

So there are quite a few big differences despite the base still being GNU/Linux.

I swear systemd made it into wheezy before the freeze, not sure if its default but it has stable packages. http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&keywords=systemd
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post

.
I swear systemd made it into wheezy before the freeze, not sure if its default but it has stable packages. http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&keywords=systemd
It's not default.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post

SELinux is a PAIN!!!!! OHHHH I HATES IT! I think that's all it really comes with for the most part though, that's all I disable. boot peramater is selinux=0? Oh I could check my grub config, it's something like that. There is also a config file somewhere on the system too.

Anyways, I'd say the biggest thing is that debian tends to be a little less "fresh" than Fedora. All in all, they are both pretty good and solid. Speed wise, Fedora has caught up a lot and so I'd say they are almost equally good. A few minor things here and there between the two but otherwise Shrak's right. Mainly package management.

If you get into kernel/building custom packages (I like it, better than "make install" as it's easier to clean out later) then you'll notice a huge difference. Debian has more automated solutions for making packages from source. Better? Ehhh, depends. That is also still package management.

One other thing is Fedora has a very nice installer, though I believe Debian upgrades better. I'm speaking pure Debian, not Mint/Ubuntu derivatives (Ubuntu is pulling away more now, as it's actually using custom software instead of re-packaged debian stuff). So in that sense, I've never had a problem doing an update when debian moves releases around. I haven't with Fedora either but I've only done one update. I've read Anaconda isn't the friendliest nor is the package manager when a new release hits. But I also use Testing/Sid in Debian soooooooo....

Just expanding a bit on the differences that to me that are large ones. Oh and Debian is generally behind in kernel releases, Fedora isn't but that generally doesn't affect many people. Unless you have hardware specific bugs.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
Intel build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 gigabyte p55-ud6 gigabyte gv-n560oc-1gi Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black LiteOn Lightscribe 24x 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermaltake Frio Extreme CLP0587 Arch Linux x86_64 samsung 2243swx ASUS vs-248H-p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
moditek led flex Seasonic 860Watt Platinum Antec Lanboy air razor death adder 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel build
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 gigabyte p55-ud6 gigabyte gv-n560oc-1gi Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial M4 WD Caviar Black WD Caviar Black LiteOn Lightscribe 24x 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermaltake Frio Extreme CLP0587 Arch Linux x86_64 samsung 2243swx ASUS vs-248H-p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
moditek led flex Seasonic 860Watt Platinum Antec Lanboy air razor death adder 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix